1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Financial Tracking Device/Repo

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by itsashaunparty, May 21, 2016.

1. itsashaunparty

itsashaunparty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a really low monthly car payment. It was being automatically removed from my bank account form Toyota Financial... until 2016. Yes, I know, I'm an idiot. I didn't notice.Simultaneously, I started getting a lot of annoying phone calls -- like my alma mater -- asking for money. So I stopped answering the phone. I ave like 96 voicemails.

Anyway, my friend has been in the hospital all week. So this week I was answering. One call was from Toyota. I hadn't paid for the car this year! It was only like $1000, which I have. But they needed me to Western Union it, etc. I really meant to, but ended up a the hospital from dusk to dawn. Anyway, I figured I'd do it today.

And the car's gone. Repo'd. Fortunately, I can afford to get it out. It's not nothing-money, but, like I said, I'm fortunate. I have to wait until Monday.

So, there couldn't have been a worse time. I couldn't believe over such a small amount -- when I usually overpay my payments, they repo'd it. Anyway, here's my question. I couldn't believe it was a time when, frankly, my delinquent car payment seems so inconsequential right now. I guess I won't be at the hospital this weekend!

Yes, I blame myself. But, I also don't like that Toyota wouldn't let me pay online. In fact, I hate that.

I have a 2010 Gen III, leather, GPS, etc. Where is their GPS tracker? One, I don't like the idea that I can be tracked. Not even because of this, really. More because --- well, you know.

#annoying #uber

Jesse Kasser likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unbelievable. So basically, if they had no way to track you to repo, you would continue ignoring their calls, emails, letters for payment? Only after they repo'd, you decided something needed to be done? Post on here to see how the hell they tracked you.

SM-N900P ?

#2 JC91006, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  3. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I honestly had to look at your profile to check your age. That's some early 20's sh@t right there. Hope you learned your lesson.

4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Ummm....

They prob sent the repo people to your address on file with toyota financial....not that hard to figure out...

Some finance companies repo after only 1 missed payment, you missed the whole year or at least all of this current year... They are not to blame! Just sayin..

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Automatic payments don't stop, unless there's no money to pull. You also can't normally make over payments on automatic payments, they are set up to get the exact amount. Not paying for the entire year would have collections call you constantly....I probably wouldn't answer either, but I surely would know why my phone is ringing.

This post can't be real, there's nobody like this in the real world. Even a millennial can't be like this. I refuse to believe it.

SM-N900P ?

m.wynn and Jesse Kasser like this.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you had a really low payment and you had a 1000$ payment due...you must have missed a year of payment's, of course they repossessed, of course they knew where it was, sorry about the bad timing, eat well and stay hydrated, stress is real.

7. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hilarious! :ROFLMAO:

8. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    not the sharpest knife in the drawer////

9. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having been through a similar scenario decades ago, its a no-brainer for me to not miss any car payments. Its factored into my "must pay" budget. All the times my car was repo'd, it was due to my stupidity. Plain and simple. Lending means just that.............lending with the full intention of paying back. Sorry he had to go through this, but hopefully, its a lesson learned.

10. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lol what did I just read? There's no way you thought not paying your payment all year would be okay and you literally have zero reason to be upset that they repo'd your car. As for how they found your car, they have your address on file with Toyota Financial so that gets passed onto the repo people.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer dude! hope it works out okay. all the best!(y)

12. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK even if the payment is small most people would question why there was extra money in the back at the end of the month.

To answer the question though, besides the home/work info they have on you... Toyota can use the safety connect if equipped to locate your car. It specifies this clearly in the TFS contact. That same contact lays out how far you will have to bend over to fix the mess.

13. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :eek:
    ...you and I have led very different lives.

I forgot to pay my water bill once a couple years ago. I noticed (and paid) when I got the next regular bill.

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if I believe anything the OP posted, but they don't need a GPS tracker to repo your car. They know how to ID the car and where it's likely to be. The repo man figures out the rest. Unless you try to hide your vehicle, the repo man doesn't have to do a lot of research to find his prey.

15. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You fail to live up to your financial your contract they are in the right your wrong no sympathy here

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we are all being tracked my friend, in one way or another.:cool:

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Some collection efforts are more efficient than others. You are fortunate that you aren't sharing the hospital room with your buddy. When you have two broken legs and a broken arm it is hard to push a wheelchair.

Sign up at Free Credit Score & Free Credit Reports With Monitoring | Credit Karma to see how much damage you did to your credit and to find any other bills you skipped on.

18. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used to do collections and repo cars for Ford, well before GPS and tracking was such a concern (or option). So you missed about 5 payments? Ford started calling with an automated system at about the three week mark (varied depending on credit and history). By week 5 it was to me to figure out the best way to prevent or reduce the loss to the company. That's it, my entire job was what ensures we do not lose the money we were expecting to make. If you had been ignoring the automated call (it calls you, you answer it tries to get you a rep in a fraction of a second but if it can't it talked at you), the very first thing I do is pull your current credit and if you've never been late before I'll call every number on the credit app. If those are dead ends, I start calling your neighbors, I start calling the main line to your employer, I start calling the neighbors of your references, I start calling everyone else you have credit with, I start calling every phone number on your credit report, I start calling every address on your credit report and the neighbors of those addresses. I would look up who owns the place I think you're living and I call them. I have tools that I punch in your SSN and I get back a list of all of your relatives and their SSNs, I will start calling them and everyone that I think might know them, I will pull their credit report and go down that line as well. I tell everyone I'm looking for you, I need to talk to you immediately and I ask if they've seen a blue ford mustang in the area (or whatever the collateral is). Besides the phone calls you're going to get a minimum of one letter that basically says "hey you're past due, call me now to avoid a possible repossession and/or legal action." If you still do not respond after all that, now I'm pissed and I'm going to really start looking for you. That when I start calling those people back I've already talked to and established a connection with. This is when the purses strings start opening up and I start reaching into my budget to offer cash for either you or the car. "When you see that mustang, I want you to call me, this is my cell phone number, I will always answer. If I get the car I will pay you $x (ranged from $200 - $1,000 depending on a large number of factors). Now once I start offering money things really start moving. Either one of your cousins you haven't heard from in years is going to call you up and say "hey, Dave from Ford offered me $500 for your car, man. You good?" Or they're going to say "his buddy is in the hospital...." and I'm going to start driving that hospital lot, if there's an attendant I'm giving them my info and offering them money as well. If an account goes 90 days past due on my watch, something is seriously wrong. Either I'm slacking, or you're seriously hiding. Depending on the age of the loan I might make a police report suspecting we have been defrauded, or I might just start legal proceedings. 5 months no payment, I better have the car or you're in court. In all the years doing it I always recovered eventually. With the technology today I'm sure it's even easier, even without a GPS tracker in the car.

jjmerp and avusblue like this.
  19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't mess with mr mischief

Lightning Racer likes this.
  20. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle: