1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota is going to sell a mazda 2 based car in North america.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Nov 19, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Next-Generation Mazda 2 and a “Subcompact Toyota” to be Produced at Mazda’s Mexican Plant
    Toyota To Get Mazda2-Based Subcompact

This leads one to believe that there is a good chance the next generation prius C will be built in North America. Toyota has already licensed hsd technology to mazda, and the speculation has been that it will be on the mazda 2 or mazda 3 platform. It would be great if mazda and toyota worked on the car together, sharing R&D costs on the car, with mazda leading on the on the chasis - zoom zoom, and toyota providing the hybrid system. Both cars could be quite different in styling and interiors, but share the bulk of expensive parts.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was happy with both Mazdas I owned (in the 70s) I do not see this as a bad move per se.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota has said the key patents on HSD will expire in 2014.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its a good move for toyota. Its not as if the echo or yaris ever made money in North America. Certainly Toyota has more of a chance on a mazda built yaris, than one they import from france or japan. It does speed the demise of the current newly improved yaris though. Mazda gets to share the cost with toyota, so its a good move for them also as long as toyota's similar car doesn't kill mazda 2 sales.

That is true, but.... those are just the ones for the hsd in the gen I. Ford and Toyota have progressed a great deal on software, controllers, motors, and inverters and protected this work with numerous patents. The agreement between honda and toyota seemed like they wanted to share parts.