1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota-issued plastic emergency door key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priitis, Mar 23, 2004.

1. priitis

priitis New Member

I haven't seen any posts about the plastic key (it folds out from a credit-card-sized piece of plastic) which Toyota mails to you after you purchase the Prius. The instructions said to take it to the dealer, where it would be cut to fit the car with "special machinery"...

My local dealer (not the one from which I purchased the car; I'd probably be waiting for a 2005 if I'd stayed on my local dealer's list) told me using the plastic key wasn't a good idea because it breaks off in the door. They said to bring them a blank metal key instead, & they'd cut it for me. Then they said they didn't need a metal key, that they had blank ones they could use. Then they said they couldn't do it. :roll: Maybe they didn't get the "special machinery"...

I've read posts about people getting an emergency (metal) Prius door key made at Walmart or Home Depot. It seems like that might be a better option at this point. Did anyone use the plastic "wallet" key Toyota sent out & did your dealer cut it for you?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never got that wallet key, got my car in October and have gotten every other mailing that I've heard about. When did you get your key?

3. RobertO

RobertO New Member

I got the plastic key with the delivery paperwork when I picked up my AM-7 on October 25. I was cautioned that it's probably only a "use once and carefully" item.

After due deliberation (procrastination?), I went to the dealer and had them make me a key. It's made from a standard Toyota blank with a smooth, oblong-shaped black plastic top and raised Toyota logo.

Cost me $ 11.50.

There is a little "Key Hut" in a nearby shopping center that makes auto keys for as little as $ 5.00. I'm sure you could find such a place near where you live.

My next challenge is to figure out where on the car to put the Hide-a-Key box so that my wife or I can:

1. Easily reach it

2. Remember where I put it.

Bob

4. rflagg

rflagg Member

Got this a few weeks ago, just before getting my keychain.

Having SS/SE, it's fairly pointless to have them make it, plus I forgot to last time I was at the dealer. Oh well. :)

-m.

5. priitis

priitis New Member

I got the plastic key in the mail about (I think) the end of February, 1 or 2 weeks after I got the Prius.

So I guess any key shop can cut an extra metal door key from the mechanical key that removes from the fob? I just thought maybe it would be too awkward for a shop to cut from something that isn't a standard key -- but it looks like lots of people are having that done at any ordinary key-cutting place, & not at the dealership.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never got the plastic key, and I've had my Prius a bit over 2 months. But what's the point??? There's a real key in the fob. And apparently the car won't let you lock the fob inside. And the car won't start without the fob, even though the key will let you in.

7. Fredo

Fredo Junior Member

I never got the plastic key either. Did it come from Toyota America, regional, or your local dealership? I've seen these before, and I think they should be available at most places that cut keys. They fit in wallets better than most keys, but, from those I saw, should only be used once or twice, and very carefully. I think they can usually cut 2 keys in a credit card sized blank; home and car, or car and car.

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My plastic key came in the mail from Toyota National, postmarked 10 days after my purchase.

The Envelope said "The 'key' to your satisfaction is enclosed".

In addition to the plastic wallet-key blank, there was a flyer explaining that I got a free web page at www.myToyotaPage.com

The card with the key attached was imprinted with my Dealer's Logo/Address, so it was probably done by National on behalf of the dealer as part of a standard campaign. It may be that if they charge the dealer for doing it and if the dealer doesn't sign up you won't get one (speculation on my part).

The Flyer with the Plastic Key said a number of things:

"Thank you for taking delivery of your new Toyota..... Your satisfaction is our #1 Blah Blah..... Please contact us if you have any concerns...."

Then, the real meat of it.

"In a few days you may recieve a survey..." (which we all know is the dealer satisfaction survey. The dealer REALLY wants you to give them perfect marks on this.

"As a token of our appreciation, we have enclosed a gift.... please stop by our parts or service department and we will cut the key for you free of charge"

9. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got the famous plastic card-key from Toyota in the mail last week, but I noticed on the card there was a caveat for the Prius. Something about it won't work in the ignition anyway...

Isn't the metal/plastic key worthless, except to get you in the door, and maybe set off the alarm system?

If the battery in the key remote dies (with remote only, no smart-entry/smart-start), aren't I stuck?

Or am I missing something?

Jay

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope, you always have the key inside of the FOB plus starting the car does not require the FOB to have any power, you just insert it into the ignition and go.

Right?

11. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Just a reminder to folks that don't have smart start/smart entry like me - you CAN lock your key in the car if it is not in the ignition. The car is smart enough to know that the key is in the ignition and will not lock the door, but if you took it out and left it on the seat, in your purse, dropped onto the floor, you can get locked out when you press the lock button on the door.

12. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, I didn't know the fob would work in the ignition without any power in the fob battery.

Rockluvr,
    I didn't think about using the lock button on the door.

That all makes a lot more more sense now.

Thanks!

13. DOC

DOC Junior Member

I had a spare key made at a local hardware store for about $1.75.

It used a regular Toyota blank.