1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota photoshopped the Prius to make it look less "bold" on the website

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Nam Nguyen, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Anyone notice this photoshop Prius on the Toyota website?

upload_2016-2-7_18-29-48.png
    upload_2016-2-7_18-30-46.png
    Notice the top image has a less bulbous headlights on the car's right side.

cmth likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Which one are you saying is photoshopped? I appreciate something is going on, considering the background and the "spinning" wheels in the top image, but the headlights? Might just be different angle?

wjtracy likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, i think it's just the angle and color difference.

4. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    prius_edit_01.jpg prius_edit_02.jpg prius_edit_03.jpg prius_edit_04.jpg Hopefully the images come out clearly...but i posted some draw overs that I did. I found a stock image that was close to the one on the Toyota's website. In my interpretation, the Prius should have an upper lip right below the headlights. In the "edited" photo on Toyota's page, I felt that they smoothed it out. I tried to do a paint over to show how i think the original should be.

Godzuki and fsu23phd like this.
  5. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The image you are referring to (with what appears to be spinning wheels) appears to have been pulled from this image:
    http://www.toyota.com/responsive/images/gallery/photos-videos/2016/prius/PRS_MY16_0001_V001.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-quality=90&downsize=1228px:*

So yes, it was photoshopped. But only in the sense of re purposing an existing photo. They appear to have eliminated the reflection of the street lights and eliminated the fact the headlights were on.

The real question is why does it matter?

Netcub likes this.
  6. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Well going back to when I first saw the Prius, I've always thought this quarter angle view was the most unattractive view of the car. That's my initial gut reaction. I see it as bug eyes, and I'm sure that would probably be the intial gut reaction for thousands too.

As a side note, I come from an artistic background, so usually I'm more critical to things in terms of design. This might not have been the audience to discuss an artistic impression, but this post was for that crowd.

Now, if I was a marketer and had to work with what I got. I'd do the exact same thing with what that Photoshoper did. I'd get rid of that weird buldge and make the transition between the headlight and bumper less acute.

Why? It's not a coincidence that they updated the Prius after the Superbowl commercial. After spending all that money to attract an audience, they would want to get rid of any bad impressions when they first see the car. Who knows, maybe a certain number of audience will go straight to the Toyota's website. So first impression is key, and by editing the image they make it more attractive.

I've seen the car in real life, and I think it's better then the pictures. It definitely took me a long time to get used to it, but eventually I've warmed up to it. So as a marketer, I would learn and read what the initial reactions of people would be...and market my way to making it more sellable.

This is my critque of what a single photoshop image is doing :)

#6 Nam Nguyen, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    evpv likes this.
  7. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Google "wide angle lens" and it's effects. Used when you want to make the middle of the image larger than the rest.

[​IMG]

krmcg likes this.
  8. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ha ha that's funny Toyota themselves felt the need to change the way it appears. How they did it is irrelevant IMO.

Well one can always blame reduced sale figures on oil prices but there is absolutely no denying that had Gen 4 been made to look more normal yet modern, sleek, sporty, etc. the car would sell even better especially considering what they have managed to achieve technically.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it more a case of the second image being photo shopped to look "less bold" or the first image being photo shopped to look more radical and bolder?

I would say more the latter.

But in either case, most advertising images get touched up. Have you ever had a fast food hamburger that looked anything like the picture in the ad?

There is a difference in angle and "image" here...but not enough that I think either is disingenuous.

10. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why did you stop there? You were getting more handsome by the shot...

11. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the reason the headlights are less bulbous in the photoshopped photo on the website is due to the editing necessary to remove the fact the headlights were on in the original shot. Obviously the editing they did inadvertently altered the outline of the bulb.

I suspect we're reading way too much into why they chose that particular photo to modify in the way they did.

arescec likes this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like your drawings Nam those are good

13. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would not agree with your assertion that sales numbers have been affected by the design as well as fuel prices. "Normal, modern, sleek and sporty" are all words open to a great deal of individual interpretation. You might interpret them differently from me. And although you might find it unappealing, the car is too new on the market to decide that the majority of potential buyers see it with your eyes.

bisco likes this.
  14. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The car has been on sale for less than a month. It's a little early to jump to any conclusions about the impact of the design on the sales numbers so far.

Every successive generation of the car has gone through appearance changes, some dramatic (from Gen 1 to Gen 2), some more subtle (Gen 2 to Gen 3). I doubt the redesigns were based on projected sales that were 3 or 4 years in the future.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    considering the steel plant explosion, it's going to be hard to know sales figures for awhile. and i suppose one can always discount gasoline prices, if one has a hidden agenda. we'll see how alt fuel vehicles do acrost the board.

16. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm in the minority, here, but I'm enamored of the car and its looks. I've test driven a Four Touring. I hope to buy one soon. If I could, I would go out tonight and get one. I think it looks really great. For reference, I'm a 40+ male (pretty geeky, admittedly).

KrPtNk, bisco and krmcg like this.
  17. Godzuki

Godzuki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You've got an eye of a tiger Nam :sneaky: - it does appear that the front corner of the "spinning wheels" Gen 4 on the website has been softened a bit with a taste of Gen 3 styling, or perhaps the image ended up the way it did because the illustrator was so used to drawing Gen 3's. The below photos show the differences between the styles of the Gen 4 and Gen 3 at the front corner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mts22

mts22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've also noticed you see few shots of the rear end in marketing ads. It seems they are more proud of the front end than the back? Hmmm....

19. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    it's just the angle in all likelihood. highly doubt toyota would nitpick that. they are marketing their car on bold and exciting.

if you notice the second pic, the car is turned clockwise more to where you can't see the lower part of the front headlight (it disappears from view) it also looks like a slightly wider lens was used. you'd be amazed at how much you can change an image by moving 1 or 2mm in any direction at close distances and wide focal lengths.

(I have 12 years of photography and editing experience)

JohnF likes this.