1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Planning Fuel-Cell Vehicle in 2015?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eaglesight333, Jun 25, 2009.

1. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349381,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121

Toyota Planning Fuel-Cell Vehicle in 2015?

by Mariella Moon

A recent Toyota shareholders' meeting in Aichi, Japan revealed that the company is pushing for a 2015 release of a fuel cell-powered automobile.
    Last fiscal year was the first time Toyota has been in the red for the past 70 years, with this year promising to yield even more dismal figures. An investor in the meeting apparently asked about Toyota's plans on zero-emissions technology and vice president Masatami Takimoto talks about the planned 2015 release of a fuel cell car, although refusing to elaborate further on the subject.
    Toyota is known to have flirted with fuel cell technology prior to this by releasing, on a limited basis, a fuel cell hybrid Prius back in 2002. The company's current darling is the new version of Prius which began selling last May and has quickly become Japan's top-selling car.
    In the eco-friendly vehicle front, Prius will remain Toyota's flag carrier for a while. It might seem like 2015 is a long wait, but for a technology that's not yet streamlined for use in the automobile industry, it could be too soon a date. Based on current technology, a fuel cell car has the potential to cost a lot more than conventional cars of the same specs due to the fact there is no storage tech that has the capacity to contain hydrogen that will let a fuel cell car go as far as a traditional does.
    Originally posted to GoodCleanTech.com.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We have two Prius, an 03 and 10, and our last two new cars were a Camry and Echo. So speaking as someone with history with Toyota that doesn't change the fundamental physics and chemistry involved.

Until someone comes up with a room temperature catalyst, I'm not buying today's fuel cells as viable, affordable power sources. I do agree that the high temperature, metal salt cell works and had the robustness needed to be a practical power source. However, those work at hundreds of degrees C. There is a scaling and heat management problem that has yet to be adequately addressed.

I'd like to be proved wrong but so far, barring some as yet undocumented source of "unobtanium," I remain skeptical of hydrogen fuel cells. When I see them show up in my laptop, I'll change my mind but the only ones I've seen remain impractical.

Bob Wilson