1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius 2006 Lost Power! Help Please!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Friendlyx, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a toyota prius 2006 with about 105k miles on it, i bought it when it had 95k about a year ago. During a drive of about 35 MPH the car seemed to loose power. I pushed the peddle and it seemed like it wanted to push in but it couldn't.. It felt like i was jolting back while i was trying to push and it tried to move forward. However, for the last couple days i've noticed that maybe twice or three times the fan in the back of the car has been on. It's been trying to suck in air and it was so loud and i've never heard it before this. The weird part is that while it lost power no lights came on the dashboard.. I don't know what could be the issue and am really worried. I could use some help, thank you.

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    The reduced power and loud fan in the back almost certainly means you need a new Hybrid battery. Typically you would have the red triangle of death and other dash indicators to suggest a problem.

Check codes to make sure. Code reading options in my signature below.

As a california resident, you typically get 10yr/150k mi warranty on battery; however, there are conditions.

Good luck,

Steve

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All this with no warning lights?

If no warning lights, then the battery is just very very hot. It then acts just like a bad hybrid battery which means you essentially have a squirrel for an engine. It will work, but not well.

Since you are in CA, and this is summer, this is possible. And since you bought it used, you don't know how the previous owner abused it. If you know the previous owner was a dog person, then you should really clean out the HV fan area.

S Keith likes this.
  4. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius

+1 to the above.

You'd think I'd be more inclined to go there living in Phoenix and such... :)

The complete gutlessness of it steered me to failing battery as even when I'm at 1 bar with the fan on 6 in 110°F+, it's not as bad as he describes.

OP, if you're not using your A/C, USE IT. Keep you comfortable, and your battery should be comfortable. Run without A/C, and you're going to cook the battery.

WilDavis likes this.
  5. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is my first summer with the Prius. I did buy it used and i don't think they had any dogs but how could i clean the fan?

6. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    i am currently using the AC at full so is there anything else i could do other than clean the fan?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get sunshades for the windows. you can find fan cleaning directions with pics on youtube.

8. Niomi Luna

Niomi Luna New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ever found the problem on your Prius? I been experiencing exactly the same issue you were having with an exact vehicle, almost same mileage. I have tried all the suggestions and still having the problem. Don't know what else to do.

bisco likes this.
  9. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think I ever did, I've had the car for a couple more months now and it hasn't happened since. That day was very hot and i'm guessing it added to the issue. I did clean the hybrid fan that weekend so that might have helped. Have you cleaned your hybrid fan?

bisco likes this.