1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius 2009 with Nav, Bluetooth and JBL. Custom Audio setup.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Quindor, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Quindor

Quindor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Upfront, sorry for the long read, but I like to be thorough. Thank you for any one whom actually read it. I hope the answers are known and if not, that we can found out together!

I live in the Nederland’s and am in the process of ordering a new prius with the business package. This is the highest package of three available in the Netherlands and basically includes all options as standard except the auto parking system. I will add leather seats and seat heating beyond the package.

Since I currently have a very nice sound system in my current car, I'm planning to build a nice one in the prius also. And since I like to come well prepared, there is this new topic. I've literally read every topic regarding custom audio on this forum, going back to the last index page available and moving forward.

And I think it has answered most of my questions, but I still have some left. So, I'll go ahead and describe what I've figured out I wish to build and then how I think I can build it. And hopefully somebody can verify and comment on it.

Since I have the highest package, it automatically comes with the JBL system. So I'm bound to its rules. And thus I know the beeps and Bluetooth and stuff is generated through it.

I'm wishing to replace all the speakers (except center speaker) in all the doors. To my knowledge, this means replacing the tweets up front (2) and woofers up front (2). And also the coaxiel speakers in the back (2). Why JBL calls this the 9 speaker system, no clue. Or is my information wrong that the back speakers are coaxial instead of component.

The speakers I have for this are my current sets. These are Phoenix Gold Titanium Elite 6.5" composets. Including incredibly large separation filters. From what I have read, the doors can hold the 6.5" speakers and 1" tweeters.

Currently I have a rockford fosgate 12" DVC Stage 3 subwoofer. This behemoth of a subwoofer is a great joy to listen to, but probably will not fix the way I want in the prius. For the prius I've thought up the plan to create custom fiberglass boxes in the rear left and right storage compartments. And use 8" fosgate stage 2 woofers. From my own estimates, this should work (including actual volume that the boxes can hold, etc). But since I do not have the measurements of the storage comportments, I don't really have an idea yet. I got the idea from the one I saw here on priuschat whom did an install of their sub in one of these compartments.

Then, I wish to use 2 Alpine PDX amp's. My current precision power DCX800.5 won't cut it, since it's WAY too big. Great great amp though. I'm thinking of getting 2x Alpine PDX150.4. One for in the front, powering the 4 speaker sets. And one the back, powering both subwoofers. To my calculations this should grant me with enough power to drive the sweet spots of all the speakers. I'm a bit concerned with the Alpina Class D amp technology. They are SO SO small and deliver such a great amount of power, it's hard to believe. But I'm willing to take the risk.

The amp for the speakers I wish to position fairly close to the JBL amp so I will be able to use the factory cables and save myself some time. From what I gather, there should be enough space there to do this. Hopefully including the separation filters from the Phoenix Gold speakers. Since these are shared left and right together in one filter.

Will the battery be able to handle this? From what I've read, it should not be a real problem, especially with the engine "running". I will be using a 1.5 Fahrenheit capacitor for the subwoofer amp.

Then, I'm thinking of getting a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 for audio processing.

Okay, so that is the equipment. Now comes the hard part. The JBL amp/radio, changer, nav and Bluetooth system. I wish to keep the factory unit, steering wheel control, navigation, voice control and Bluetooth connectivity. And thus, this is where the hard part comes in.

I've been reading and reading and reading. Basically, what I want is quite simple. I wish to replace the JBL amp, with my own amp. And on manny systems, that would not a single problem what so ever. But on this one, it seems quite a task.

From everything what I have been able to figure out, would the following work?

The cables from the headunit/radio, run the the prius amp. From this, I will tap the line level output from the headunit and feed it into my 3sixty.2 for signal processing and equalization. I know that this way I will lose my headunit equalization. Will I also loose volume control from the headunit, or just the display of it?

Then, I will disconnect the normal sound level leads going into the JBL amp. I will also disconnect all the speakers from the JBL amp except for the center speaker. From what I gather, there are separate lines leading towards the JBL amp to provide the touch screen beeps, nav voice and also Bluetooth.

From what I understand, this will give me feedback of these features using the center speaker. Will the automatic cutout of the music still work when a phone comes in?

From there on, I can process the sound using the fosgate unit, make the necessary crossovers, equalization, etc. It can also provide volume control, but I'd rather use the headunit for that, because then I can use the fosgate remote for subwoofer level control.

My main wish is leaving all original features and functionality intact, but replacing the amp and speakers.

1. Rear door speakers, coaxiel of component?
    2. 6.5" speaker holes in all doors and 1" tweeters?
    3. Measurements of storage compartments in the rear.
    4. Battery enough for amplifiers?
    5. Volume control from the headunit lost, or just the display of it?
    6. Harness available for the JBL amp to tap wires?
    7. Will the automatic cutout of the music still work when a phone comes in?
    8. Is the navigation and bluetooth voice adjustable in volume?
    9. Available space for the amp and separation filter, will that fit? And is heat a concern?

Well, that should quite do it. Hopefully you guys can get a clear view of what I am trying to accomplish, and that we can answer or figure out the questions I have. Off course, I will provide detailed pictures and a write up when actually doing the build, to spread the knowledge to further prius owners whom wish to accomplish the same.

Let the discussion start! Also, if you think there is an easier way or a better way to accomplish all of this. Tell me!! One thing I know, is using high level input behind the JBL amp… but I consider that last resort only, because of the re-equallization that it will require.

Again, sorry for the enourmous post! :peep:

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you're going through all this trouble, why not get the Cleansweep SSI and DSP units and keep all the built-in functionalities intact? Seems to me that would be the path of least resistance.

As for 9 speakers, the rear doors have components, not coaxials.

12" subs may be a bit big for the rear cubby holes. Would be interesting to see your enclosures for those. Also, with all those equipment and speakers, you definitely will want to consider sound dampening your car to make the most out of your investment.

3. Quindor

Quindor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thank you for your reply! I know it was a big read, but it's basically the sum of all I have read on here.

I understand cleaning up the sound after the JBL amp with the cleansweep, just like the 3sixty.2 (I love the bluetooth control functionality which the cleansweep misses) could do for me. But then you are re-equalizing an equalized signal and if at all possible, if you could cut that step out and use the line level from the radio itself and construct a new volume knob for instance, that would greatly benefit sound quality (to my understanding).

Ah, good to know that the rear also uses components speakers. My current car does not have tweeter holes in the back. That is why I wonderd and I also thought I read somewhere that the prius was the same. I have two of the phoenix gold sets, so no problem. :D

In the chubby holes I'd use 8" subwoofers instead of the huge 12". That one is WAY too big, far too deep and requires much to many litres of volume. I'm going to try using 2 x 8" instead. When I get started with this, I'll make detailed descriptions including lots of pictures.

Thank you for the tip of sound dampening. I'm currently reading up on that and also read the topics on here. It seems like a fairly simple procedure to improve quality overal. I will certainly go that road, depening on implications it has and price of course. Good tip!

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think that you might possibly get way with using your PPI 800.5 if you locate it in
    the rear storage compartment (beneath the floor, in the storage tray above the spare tire). I've got my rather large amp in that space right now.
    The 12V battery is right there in the back next to the tray, so it makes installation simple.

I like your idea of using the 3Sixty.2 as a pre-amp and I think you'd probably be happy with the results. There's a fellow PriusChatter named "Actual Mileage" who is using the 3Sixty.1, so you may wish to ask him about his experience.
    I saw a great bargain (at sonicelectronix.com) for a "liquidation" cleansweep DSP & SSI...may be worth checking out if you want to go that route.
    You will definately have components in the rear...so you're "good to go" there.

Others who have done "stealthbox" type custom fiberglass enclosures in those cubbys have gotten about 0.65 cubic feet of volume (per side). There are lots of 10" woofers that would be happy in that volume, so you might want to consider that.

Since you'll be taking signal in from the outputs of the JBL amp in as inputs to the 3Sixty.2, your volume controls (from the head unit & streering wheel) should be preserved.

The factory battery should be fine, it gets charged through an inverter which taps into the car's high voltage electrical system. I've been running mine for 2 years with no issues to date off the factory battery with no stiffening capacitor (btw 1.5 Farad, not Farenheight). Othr PriusChatters have cited similar experiences running up to 1500 Watts RMS amplification.

There used to be a wiring harness available from Bazooka for adding an amplified sub, but I think that doesn't work with the newer Prius JBL amps. Just splice in at the output harness on the amp. There are wiring diagrams available here on PC that will tell you everything you need to know.
    Your 3Sixty.2 (or cleansweep) can take (as input) the high level equalized signal coming out of the JBL amp amd will allow you to flatten out the equalization and send clean flat signal to your amps.
    I don't personally have the JBL system with center channel & Bluetooth, but my understanding is that most who do choose to disconnect the center channel speaker.
    I also believe that the sound for Bluetooth phone & NAV come out through the front left speakers....which they still should in your scenario. This should also preserve the muting of the whole signal path when phone calls or NAV directions chime in....although I cannot say for certain.

5. Quindor

Quindor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thnx's a whole lot for you detailed anwser.

The biggest reason I started this post, is because I could not figure out how to tap the line signal of the head unit and still keep the functions which are provided by the JBL amp.

But from what I gather from your reply, most (everyone) people use the high level outputs that come out of the JBL amp. seemingly that gives you a good result. From what I have always learned, that is the least desirably way to do it, but seemingly there is no other choice with the prius.

That will also automatically facilitate keeping all the stock functions, etc. From what I've read, I'll try that way first (behind the JBL amp, putting the high level output into the 3sixty.2).

Thank you for your advice in that regard. I was really trying to go the other way.... But I guess it just is not possible.

Glad to hear that the battery will not have a problem, and also "shares" juice with the really big high voltage battery. Does it always do this, or just when the engine is "running"?

The reason I'm wanting to buy two of the Alpine amp's is because of space conservation. One of them should easily fit beneath the chair where the 3sixty.2 and the JBL amp also is. Oh, and not to forget my cross over filters. With all that packed there, it might actually get VERY cramped. But I'll have to see how it turns out in reality..... Otherwise I will indeed have to run mutliple cables to the back. Also, I'm hoping I could fit a crossover filter beneath the other chair also, where the DVD navigation system is.

For the rear part of the vehicle. I just wanted to run RCA cables from the 3sixty.2 to the second Alpine amp and hide that somewhere out of sight, like the spare tire compartment. If anyway possible, I wish to keep the "secret" storage compartment free of equipment, cause I'd rather store tools or something else there. I also often carry a laptop with me and I think it would just fit.....which would be a great thing too. If in the end, there is no other place beneath the box, it will have to go there.

Great that you know how much cubic feet they ended up with! Will make buying woofers quite a bit easier! From what I read, the rockford fosgate 10" shallow mount level 3 would be a GREAT fit! :D

And yes, farad indeed. ;)

Too bad there is not a known wiring adapter that works. I'm leasing the car (yes, I know a lot of work to put into a car I will only own 4 years, but hey, I like fun projects! :D Building it is half the fun! :D). And because of that, a wiring adapter or even just the plugs would be awesome. Because then I could refit the original one's when the car has to go back.

Left front speaker... hmm. Does anyone know what happens if they disconnect the line level input from the head unit to the JBL. Will it still output the beeps, bluetooth, navigation, etc. ?

Thank you for your time people! I'm trying to get everything figured out so I can build it (will be a few months from now, but still). As said, I promise lots of pictures and a write up!

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are several options for crossover placements. I put mine under each front seat. You can attach them inside the doors if you want.

If you're doing all this work, running cables is probably the easiest task and shouldn't affect your decision on where to place your amps. More important is whether you have enough fans to cool your gear, since they'll be generating quite some heat.

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're dead set on getting the Alpine amps, consider the following:
    Alpine PDX-5 - Alpine 5 Ch 600 Watt Digital Power Amplifier PDX5
    That way you could get away with 1 amp and save some serious $$$.

The good deal on the JL CleanSweep can be found at:
    JL Audio The Liquidation Station at Sonic Electronix

Although you might want to consider this:
    AudioControl DQL-8 (dql8), Sound Processors, Other Sound Processors - Sonic Electronix

Or you could get your 3Sixty.2 at: Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.2 ( WITH 2 IN MODEL ) (3sixty2-TWO), Sound Processors, Equalizers - Sonic Electronix

Just some ideas....

8. jay em see

jay em see New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 with JBL and installed a full system. What you are calling the line level inputs arent exactly that. They are more like data lines. They carry more information than just the audio signals. This is why you cant(shouldnt) use them. However, using the rear speaker full range audio outputs from the JBL will work fine as long as you use a signal processor. I opted for the cleansweep. It takes your speaker level output and converts it into a line level for you. (cleanly, hence the name) If you would like to use the SSI, go for it. I did not as I thought it was an added cost for the one and only benefit of retaining my fader control. If you use the full range speaker output of the rear speakers (fronts are crossed over internally in JBL amp and thus dont use them into the cleansweep) into the cleansweep, then use an RCA Y adaptor, you will still have 4 clean channels with which to amplify. Left, right will still be intact, but you will loose fader (big deal). I cut the front output signals entirely from the JBL then rewired the driver left woofer to the center channel so that my bluetooth and Nav voices come from there. (I always felt like I was talking to my foot. Now I speak directly to the dash when on a call) With your new 4 channels of line level, run them to an amp. Then run your new speaker wire directly to the doors and to your sub. I went with MB Quarts for mids and highs, a kicker 12" sub (with a removable box for when I want to actually carry stuff around) and a five channel amp in the storage area that is still removable to access the spare. Bluetooth, nav, steering wheel controls, head unit controls, everything still work just as stock. Oh yeah..gotta go Dynamat. Especially if youre tearing out the doors, the seats and some of the carpet andways. (which you will if you are doing a full install)
    Sorry for the quick write up. Hope it works out. Gimmie any questions if youd like :)

9. Quindor

Quindor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thank you again for your awnsers, comments and tips! Really getting a clear picture of how to proceed now. :D

I understand why no one is using the line out from the radio. Because basically, there is none. I think the cleansweep and the 3sixty.2 are quite evenly matched, except for the fact that the 3sixty.2 allows for remote control using bluetooth. A feature I would definatly use to tweak the sound to my liking. It sounds like the ultimate "gadget" too. ;) Well suited for in a prius. ;)

Also your comments made it clear as to why use the rear channel inputs instead of the front and rear, since the 3sixty.2 can easily do that. Because if you are behind the JBL amp, the front is splitted. I didn't see that problem before!! And the 3sixty.2 can easily handle the fading and such tasks. Losing that is no biggy.

My crossovers can never no way go into one of the doors. They are roughly the same size as the alpine amps are and also there is one crossover in total for left AND right. That is why I'm trying to get the crossover and AMP and 3sixty.2 to all go underneath the chair. It would save me from allmost ALL the speaker wire changing. Except for the rear speakers (need an extra pair for the tweeters from the crossover) and an RCA to the back, for the other amp for the subwoofers.

And why the fuss about the speaker wires? Well.... as with everything, you come up with a plan, extend on it, think it through and extend on it again. ;) I did first think of going with the PDX-5, 5 channel amp. but I'm concerned my power hungry speakers and subs will drain the poor little thing too much. My PPI DCX800.5 does an aduate job of handeling them... but still I am concerned. There is nothing worse then having GREAT speakers and driving them with too little power, so they became weakly controlled. And since the battery is in the back, adding another amp say in the storage box or spare tire compartment should be an easy task. And will ensure me having more then enough power to handle the speakers AND subwoofers. From what I've gatherd, all the JBL amp's produce 600 WATT RMS total. Devided in different ways. 4x150, 4x75+300 or 600 mono. Quite nice little amp's indeed.

Dynamat noted. All though I have never used any in any install I've done, I will certainly make it a high priority on this one. I'm using to working on VW Golf/Jetta/Passat. Most models don't really need it.

Changing the left woofer singel to the center is brilliant. And since all the wires are there anyway, sounds like a 5 minute job! :D

I think most of my questions are done. I'm going to start calculating if my space on the seat will fit everything or not. I'm a bit concerned about that....

As said before, photo's and such will be provided as soon as I start all this!! Thank you again for taking your time to awnser! :)

10. Quindor

Quindor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sadly enough, just on the edge of ordering the prius, I have decided to order a different car. A new skoda superb. Quite a nice car, but in a different class.

Since I am in the car for about 5 hours a day, I have decided I needed a higher level class. And the Volkswagen TDI engines are at least a bit economical. ;)

I wish everyone the best on here, and want to thank the people whom awnsered my questions, and who knows, maybe someone else can benefit from the research. :)

Be well,
    Quindor

11. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It is beyond my means to understand why Toyotoa, after engineering such a high tech vehicle as the Prius, would put in such a crappy sound system. Perhaps the radio/amp are okay and the problem is the lousy speakers. But..... why?

12. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

skoda superb over prius? sorry, but that car looks like a cheap hyundai (atleast on the outside)