1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius crash prompts emergency court filing

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prianista, May 28, 2011.

1. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From the Los Angeles Times:

"Driver Gerry Young told KTLA-TV Channel 5 News that the car would not stop, even after she pulled the keys out of the ignition."

I tend to use my key wirelessly, but I didn't know it was possible to pull the key out of the slot when the power is still on.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you can't pull the key out on Gen III.. oh wait you can't put it in either..

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But the car in question isn't a Gen III.

5. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just don't get people if you push the power button at speed it still shuts the car down. Also if you slide the transmission to neutral it cant accelerate anymore? someone just looking for a payday.

1 person likes this.
  6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you press and hold the button the engine will cut. if you put it in neutral the engine won't accelerate. Also, there is an override in the brake, I think, on these cars. This is obviously a person hitting the wrong pedal, I have no doubt about that at all.

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think your wrong, i don't drive a gen II but on the III you need to hold the power button in for up to 5 seconds you don't just press it. Thats how the cop died in the lexus. And yes you can shift to neutral but again you to need to hold in their not just shift it and let go.

I'm not defending the person that crashed just want to make sure people reading your post know the correct way.

8. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How did she "lose control of her car"? She was behind the wheel and there for the driver of the vehicle. She pressed the gas pedal and drove the car into the building, using her car as a 3000lb weapon. Who regularly uses the key fob plugged into the dash like an old fashion key? It is wireless!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pic kinda looks like gen III?

10. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    not to me.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure, but you're probably right.

12. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people should not be issued a driver's license.

1 person likes this.
  13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    She said that she left the car and it was still accelerating. This appears to be a gen II, is that correct? Do we know if a stuck pedal might have been at fault?

14. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it's a Gen II. Hard to tell from the pic for me, too, but in the video when they back it out (how could they risk operating such a dangerous piece of equipment!!!) you can tell more easily.

If it was a stuck as a result of the floormat, it would seem that the responsibility is with the owner who never got the recall work done. I wonder if it's potentially something different from a legal perspective, but from a personal one...

Also, while that's a remote possibility, the fact that so many vehicles happen to crash into buildings when parking seems to indicate that they were coasting through the lot and then went for the pedal - ideally the brake one - for the final stop, but were off by a bit too much. It would be too overwhelming to realize YOU'VE made a huge mistake by the time the engine is revving and the car shooting forward.

Add that to her storyline conflicting heavily with reality (to paraphrase, the "my foot was off both pedals and it kept moving" story and also the "I took the key out of the ignition but it kept accelerating" story), and the vehicle-caused acceleration seems possible only in the farthest reaches of the imagination.

15. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These claims are so silly. Will someone please show this video on mainstream TV so people can come up with some other excuse for crashing Toyota's.

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    agree with most of this. I just am curious about what might have happened. I've heard gen 2 owners proudly say that the entrapment is made up and they aren't going for the recall. I wonder if this may have been what has happened, and it should not be difficult for investigators to figure out. With that speed wrong pedal is the most likely, but not the only possible explanation.

17. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just tried this and it took less than 2 seconds of pushing the power to turn of my Prius under power and putting car in neutral under power is no different than shifting gears normally. So I guess I'm not wrong.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    already a thread on this.

another person who will readily blame anything and any body before willing to even consider the possibility that they made a mistake for no other reason to prevent themselves from being sued for damages.

19. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    First, let me state that I am of the quite firm belief that >99% of these SUA incidents are foot pedal confusion related.

That being said there seems to be a slight indication that Toyota's cruise control firmware could be at fault. One of these "indications" seeming involved CC activating on its own, no driver action.

Having been in the computer business since '67 I have the foundation to suspect the problem (0.001%) to be a dead-lock or live-lock in the CC firmware execution. Basically the engine/transaxle ECU is executing, EXCLUSIVELY, the CC "accel" mode. Paying NO attention, NONE, to the various switch or sensor inputs that would otherwise result in a shift into neutral, or even a complete engine shut-down.

"..push the power button.."

Disregarding the above possibility, just how many owners are actually aware of the need to not just "push" the button, but hold it down for 3-5 seconds in this circumstance.

Ask 100 owners and I'd bet you the clear majority would not know.

20. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    But then your engine/transaxle ECU's controlling firmware wasn't in a "live-lock", executing ONLY the CC "accel" mode, was it..?