1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Reveals Prius Family of Vehicles; Prius liftback, Prius v, Prius c,and Prius PHV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    New Prius v and Prius c Concept Make Their Worldwide Debut
    • Prius v fits the lifestyle of young, active families
    • Prius c Concept an inspiration for future small, entry hybrid
    • Plug-in to arrive in the first half of 2012
    DETROIT (Jan. 10, 2011) – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., unveiled the Prius family of vehicles today at the 2011 North American International Auto Show. In addition to the current third-generation Prius and Prius Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle (PHV), the new Prius v midsize hybrid-electric vehicle and the Prius c Concept vehicle joined the iconic hybrid brand, broadening the appeal of Prius to all ages and lifestyles. With the expansion of the Prius family, a new evolution of vehicles will further increase the acceptance of hybrids with Prius’ same core values of high fuel economy, low emissions, proven technology and environmental stewardship. “This is no ordinary family. It’s a modern family with a Prius for everyone,” said Bob Carter, Toyota Division group vice president and general manager. “The Prius v is an all-new dedicated hybrid vehicle, and all future Prius family members will be as well. They will all share common Prius attributes but will be unique, with a special appeal to different buyers.” The Prius midsize liftback has accounted for more than 955,000 sales in the U.S. since it was introduced in 2000. The third-generation Prius, which reached dealerships in June 2009, has continued the hybrid’s heritage of exceptional fuel economy and low emissions, while becoming the third-best selling Toyota passenger car in the U.S. The Prius has also been a technological flagship vehicle, offering new features to the Toyota brand like Touch Tracer Display, Solar Powered ventilation, Smart Key System with Push Button Start, Lane Keep Assist, an Advanced Parking Guidance System and LED headlamps. Prius v: “Versatility” for Young, Active Families The new Prius v, with “v” expressing the vehicle’s versatility, will meet the needs of growing families with active lifestyles while providing the same attributes traditionally found in the Prius DNA. It will share the current generation Prius’ platform and Hybrid Synergy Drive technology. Featuring a compact exterior yet spacious interior, the Prius v will feature over 50-percent more interior cargo space than the current Prius. With a balance between outstanding spaciousness, refined style, and smooth aerodynamics, Prius v has a low 0.29 coefficient of drag, which does not inhibit the vehicle’s convenient packaging. It is a new vehicle designed from the ground up, with a shape that evolved from Prius rather than being an elongated version. The exterior styling is sleek, rounded and bold, with an extended roofline that allows the vehicle to retain the triangular silhouette symbolic of Prius. The trapezoidal-shaped front features sharp-edged headlamps, wind-slipping aero corners for improved aerodynamics and an enlarged under grille, which all help create a unique design evolving from the current Prius. Prius v’s rear styling is highlighted by a refined backdoor panel, intricate combination taillights and a specially designed roof spoiler that improves air flow. Inside, the Prius v emphasizes overall proportion with spaciousness and flexibility for active families. Comfortable interior space and good visibility has been assisted by a high seating position, ample head room, and an impressive 38-inch couple distance, providing generous rear legroom. A low, wide-opening rear hatch reveals 34.3 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats, making it the most spacious dedicated hybrid vehicle on the market and better than some compact SUVs. Comfortable seating for five is specifically designed for young families. Sliding second row seats allow for easier ingress and egress and rear-storage flexibility, with a 45-degree recline for greater comfort. The 60/40 split, folding rear seats present four different seat arrangements that provide excellent usability for passengers and luggage, while a fold-flat front-passenger seat allows for extremely long cargo. Also available, and a Toyota-first, is a resin Panoramic View moonroof with power retractable sun shades that provides an open atmosphere in the cabin with a 40-percent reduction in weight as compared to conventional glass roofs of the same size, and excellent heat insulation performance. Up front, instrument-panel controls, including a single-dial air-conditioning control and a center-mounted digital combination meter, provide an advanced look and user-friendly command. The driving controls – including the Push Button Start, parking switch, electronic shift lever, and driving mode selection – are distinguished by silver trim. Despite the spaciousness of a family friendly midsize vehicle, the Prius v will deliver estimated EPA fuel economy ratings of 42 mpg city, 38 mpg highway and 40 mpg combined, the best fuel economy ratings of any SUV, crossover, or wagon on the market. It will also emit 66-percent fewer smog-forming emissions than the average new vehicle. Like the current generation Prius, the Prius v is a showcase of technology that will include many of the same standard features. Four driving modes (Normal, Power, Eco and EV) satisfy a variety of road conditions and driver preferences. A Smart Key System with Push Button Start, an electronic shift lever, Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), and a back-up camera are standard. Available options include energy-efficient LED headlamps, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with a Pre-Collision System (PCS), and Advanced Parking Guidance System. For a high level of safety, there are seven airbags, a high-strength cabin and an energy-absorbing body structure with impact beams, cross members and leg absorption pads. New driver and front-passenger seat design helps lessen possible whiplash injury during a collision. Like all Toyota models, the Prius v will feature Toyota’s Star Safety System™ standard, which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist. It also features the standard Smart Stop Technology brake-override system. Prius v will be one of the first Toyotas with the Entune™ multimedia system. For the first time ever in an automobile, this innovative new system leverages the mobile phone to provide a richer in-vehicle experience with fully integrated and wireless upgradeable navigation, entertainment and information services. Toyota Entune debuts the first-ever support for engaging mobile apps, such as Bing, OpenTable, and movietickets.com, along with accessing useful travel-related services, such as live weather, traffic, fuel information (location and price), stocks, news and sports. Toyota Entune brings the largest selection of music options available to a vehicle, including iheartradio’s 750+ stations, Pandora’s personalized music, the driver’s personal songs from portable media players and iPods (via USB or Bluetooth audio streaming), and more than 170 stations from XM satellite radio. Featuring a best-in-class, advanced conversational voice recognition system that helps the driver to stay focused on the road, Toyota Entune eliminates the need to memorize thousands of voice commands and helps reduce driver distraction. Entune will also allow for audio read-back and replay capabilities for text messages, with the ability to respond by pre-set “Quick Reply Messages.” Prius v will combine Entune with a standard Display Audio system rich with dynamic entertainment and communication features. The system will include HD Radio with iTunes tagging for future purchase; XM radio, weather, sports, stocks and local fuel pricing; Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless audio; and full iPod integration including music and video. A new evolution in hybrid vehicles with excellent cargo space and Prius’ heritage of environmental performance and fuel economy, the 2012 Prius v will go on sale in late summer 2011. Prius c Concept: Small “city”-centric Hybrid Vehicle While the current Prius has ushered hybrid technology into the mainstream, and the Prius v will provide the additional room and versatility for active families, compact shoppers are interested in a smaller hybrid at an entry price point and with superior fuel economy. The Prius c Concept, with c representing a “city”-centric vehicle, will appeal to young singles and couples who want an eco-sensitive, high-mileage, fun-to-drive Prius. This dynamic vehicle with urban appeal will pursue outstanding fuel efficiency in a compact package, while also providing a surprisingly spacious interior. It will include many advanced technology features, including some offered on the current Prius. Prius c Concept is the inspiration for an additional Prius family member that will come to market in the first half of 2012 as the most value-oriented hybrid in the U.S. market with the highest mileage of any “cordless” hybrid. Prius Plug-In Vehicle: the Best of Both Worlds Since its initial launch 10 years ago, one of the Prius’ main efficiencies has been a hybrid system with its own on-board recharging system that never needed to be plugged in to take people where they wanted to go. With the addition of new technology and shifts in the market, the Prius Plug-in Hybrid is the family member that represents the best of both worlds – the superior fuel economy of the Prius with added EV driving capability. Depending on driving conditions, Prius Plug-in can be driven approximately 13 miles on battery power at speeds up to 60 mph. Its compact Lithium-ion battery provides less weight and a quicker recharging time, taking three hours on 110 volts and 1.7 hours on 220 volts. It can be “topped off” anytime with a convenient short charge. After the EV power is depleted, the Plug-in performs like an economical third-generation Prius, the most fuel efficient midsize hybrid vehicle in America. Unlike pure EVs, it will be a seamless transition for consumers, with the only difference from a regular Prius is that it can be plugged in at convenient intervals. Currently, more than 150 Lithium-ion-battery powered Prius Plug-ins are part of a demonstration program in several U.S. cities. The program’s goal is to demonstrate plug-in technology, educate and inform the public, evaluate performance, and better understand the benefits to future customers. This will help pave the way for an on-sale target in the first half of 2012. The Plug-in will be initially offered in 14 West and East Coast states (Arizona, California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, Virginia and New Hampshire) where nearly 60 percent of all Prius models are currently sold. Availability in all remaining states will be a year later. When it comes to market, the Prius Plug-in will represent the most eco-sensitive and advanced choice within the Prius brand of products. # # # 2012 PRIUS v PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS Powertrain 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine with VVT-i Engine horsepower: 98 hp @ 5,200 rpm Engine torque: 105 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm Electric motor: Permanent magnet synchronous motor Electric motor power output: 80 hp/153 lb-ft torque Hybrid system net horsepower: 134 hp Emission rating: SULEV/Tier 2 Bin 3 Electronically controlled continuously variable transmission Drive System: Front-wheel-drive Hybrid battery pack: Nickel-metal hydride Estimated fuel economy: 42 mpg city/38 mpg hwy/ 40 mpg comb. Dimensions (inches) Overall Length: 181.7 Overall Width: 69.9 Overall Height: 62.0 Wheelbase: 109.4 Ground clearance: 5.7 Coefficient of Drag: 0.29 Wheels: 16-inch alloy wheels 17-inch alloy wheels (optional) Tire Size: 16-inch: 205/60R16 17-inch: 215/50R17 (optional) Seating Capacity: 5 EPA class rating: Midsize Station Wagon

1 person likes this.
  2. markf57

markf57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    7 people like this.
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks really nice, now that I saw it in the correct proportion. Same 1.8 liter engine but 40 MPG due to the size and aero.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    hopefully this will help pull in some of the SUV crowd.

6. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll shut my mouth about the exterior, but the interior is very nice.
    shifter is back on the dash, where it belongs. yay!
    space hog console bridge is gone. yay!

If gas prices keep going up, Toyota and Ford are going to own the family hauler market. GM, Honda, Chrysler and Hyundai have nothing to compete with these (that I know of)

7. alz

alz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For the Prius v, any info on pricing? I read it was going to be available in the summer (earlier than the typical fall release), but I can't find that statement officially anywhere.

Also the press release mentions a plug-in version for some States. I'm going to guess this is for the Prius v and not some cross-press release for the current model.

Too bad to hear about the 40 mpg, but then again it's higher (or the same) than other cars of that size. Plus, it has other eco-benefits the others might not have.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, the interior is really nice. This is a better choice than Jetta TDI wagon.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have mixed feelings about the Prius v. I love green cars. Woot! But I don't think it'll draw SUV buyers. Remember, most of those buyers believe in pure mechanical power and laugh ignorantly at the Prius.

The Prius v shares the same name and same engine as the current Prius. So what makes you all think this will change peoples' minds? Yeah, it's a start. But I feel this announcement (as well as mileage estimates) was way underwhelming.

10. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    yea, 0-60 @ 11.5 sec, just too slow and get dusted by any size SUV.
    No too sure which segment of the market it is targeted at.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow! The leaked images of the interior of a Prius v in testing did come true. I guess the huge hole where the Entune system was likely because it wasn't ready back then or they didn't want that to leak too.

As before, I still don't like where the instruments have been placed. Unless the driver sits there too, the center of the dash isn't where they belong. This placement typically hasn't done well in the US.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the Prius V looks pretty stylish. Now I know why Doug said it's not a minivan. It's a station wagon! (and again, a stylish one at that!)

The interior is kinda nice (but not feeling the xB/Yaris like centre cluster). I do like the centre console area that blends the versatility of the 3rd Gen Prius' storage with the open-feeling of the 2nd Gen Prius (and anything that gets stored there isn't limited in height like it is in the 3rd Gen Prius).

11.5 secs is a tad slow (but similar to the Jetta TDI and HCH-II). The resin PanoramicView roof is nice (I had it in the smart it made the interior much airier and brighter). It also has the benefit of being lighter than traditional glass moonroofs (and maybe lighter than a steel roof?)

13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hooray Prius c! The new MPG champion. :)

I think smaller cars -- compacts and subcompacts -- are the way to go in the future.

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thinking about pricing, Toyota rarely announces that until just before the cars go on sale (or become ready to order).

I like what they've done w/ the back seat, but unless it's significantly wider, it still might be a bit cramped for 3 kids. The sliding seats plus wider hatch opening would help significantly in the cargo room department - a concern that limits road trip-ability w/ the current Prius and a family of 5.

I am somewhat disappointed in the lack of a 3rd row, and voiced my concerns about that when some of us found out about it previously. One suggestion on why it was omitted was potentially crash safety (seat proximity to the rear in a rear-end collision). Also, looking at the raised floor in the rear for the battery, there really wasn't a whole lot of room for anything usable.

11.5 second 0-60 puts the Prius v right back into 1st-2nd gen Prius territory.

15. ozarkgolfer

ozarkgolfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just saying....according to C & D, the Jetta TDI 0-60 is 8.3 seconds (other magazines have anywhere from 8.0 to 9.0) but the torque makes the feel of the power feel significantly more drivable than shows on the stopwatch. I have the Euro version Audi A3 tdi 170 hp/250 ft lbs and I see 60 in 7.5 seconds.

However, at 80 mph, both Prius and VW+Audi match the Bugatti Veyron at how far they travel in an hour :rolleyes:

16. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The spoiler and new hatch with better rearview are welcome. Love the panoramic moonroof.

Looks to me like the 'v' was designed to target those who want to replace their SUV/CUV/Minivan with a hybrid. In which case going from 20mpg to 40mpg would be a substantial improvement, all other things being equal.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to criticize the company that I think is clearly the leader in mass produced hybrids, but if they are lagging in any one obvious area it's probably the HSI. IMO has a very analog, 70's digital look. This is an area I think Toyota should improve.

Jetta TDI wagon is I think the clearest direct comparison.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not by a long shot.

Jetta's T2B5 emission-rating simply can't compete with the SULEV/PZEV from Prius-V. Jetta's 34 MPG combined (30c/42h) simply can't compete with the 40 MPG combined (42c/38h) from Prius-V either.

Fusion is the better comparison. PZEV emission rating and 39 MPG combined (41c/36h).

Toyota's goal is to deliver a profitable high-volume hybrid larger than Prius that's affordable and offers top emissions & efficiency.

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree. Of course they don't compare based on emissions as The Prius v is a Hybrid and the Jetta TDI is a "clean" diesel. But I think they are a very direct comparison in regards to the actual driveable product....a station wagon, and also probably a big percentage of intended audience. The TDI is aimed at "Young Families" and so is The Prius v....

Sure I concede, that a TDI isn't Hybrid...but as far as intended audience and functional product, I think it's a fair comparison. My guess would be "families" considering either Prius v or Jetta Sportswagen TDI would look at both products....

To be honest I thought TDI's gas mileage was better. But I could be wrong. But since there is a void of "economical" and/or efficient station wagons...you could compare to Subaru's line...I think TDI a fair if not perfect comparison.

20. membluess

membluess New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Please
    Before you spend the extra money on a built in Navigation system, read their fine print. While on the test ride go into a private neighborhood. Pull the car into any house on any street. The house number and the number stated on the dash will not match. Enter an address you are familiar with and try to get there accurately. Odds are the min of 300 ft off will be a little short or long of your destination. But it will show you exactly where you are on the road. It just cant tell any addresses accurately. At times I have been a lot further then the 300 ft minimum off. Try reading street addresses at 30 MPH in rush hour traffic. Not having to do that is why I bought the navigation system in the first place.
    In general the Prius is a good car. Definitely one of the best hybrids. I presently own a 2010. Would probably buy another one, just would be a lot more careful on the options. It does however worry me that with a nav system that is so bad, it is still within toyota specs. The dealer did check it. As the computers get more complicated, and they are basicly the car itself, it makes me wonder what is off but within their specs that we arent being told about. The dealer has told me that the same nav system is in all toyotas models. The 2011 uses it as well so i will imagine the 2012 will as well. This inaccuracy isnt being addressed by Toyota because it is as I stated within their specs. I doubt the new ones will be less computer reliant then the one I have. But it does sort of worry me where Toyota's specs are and what is truly accurate in other parts of the car. I have driven the car over 23000 miles so far in a lot of different parts of the country. Handles well in warm weather, just a little sketchy in the cold north. Factory tires had to be replaced at 20000 miles, but that is pretty standard for a lot of new cars. I think I will hold on before I buy or recommend any of the new models just released. Let someone else help Toyota work out any of their bugs. For me, if I can see a problem and cant get the manufacturer to address it, even when in my opinion it is very fixable. What about the problems I cant see?
    Still if I was going to buy another hybrid, Toyota seems to be the leader. For the size it has great interior space front and rear. Paid a little extra for leather and feel it was a good choice. My only fear is that if a computer problem I can see could hurt me, what about the ones I have no knowledge about?