1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota reveals RAV4-EV with 100 mile "real world" range, performance of V6

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota debuted today the new RAV4-EV at the LA Auto Show, complete with a 100 mile range and similar performance to the current V6 RAV4. It looks like this Tesla partnership is going to be good for Toyota fans as well as Tesla fans. Summary below and then a full information below that.
    A total of 35 RAV4 EV’s will be built for a demonstration and evaluation program running through 2011. These demonstration vehicles utilize the current RAV4 vehicle built in Canada and integrate the Tesla battery and additional components built in Palo Alto, California. A fully-engineered vehicle is targeted to launch in 2012. The fully-engineered vehicle will target a range of 100 miles in a wide range of climates and conditions.​
    TOYOTA DEBUTS 100-MILE RANGE, RAV4 EV DEMONSTRATION VEHICLE AT LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW Toyota/Tesla Collaboration To Build, Demonstrate And Evaluate 35 Vehicles: Fully Engineered Second-Generation RAV4 EV Slated For 2012 On-Sale Date LOS ANGELES, November 17, 2010 -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. (TMS) debuted today the second-generation Toyota RAV4 EV at a news conference at the Los Angeles Auto Show. A total of 35 vehicles will be built for a demonstration and evaluation program through 2011, aiming at market arrival of a fully-engineered vehicle in 2012. The fully-engineered vehicle will have a target range of 100 miles in actual road driving patterns, in a wide range of climates and conditions. “When we decided to work together on the RAV4 EV, President Akio Toyoda wanted to adopt a new development model that incorporated Tesla’s streamlined, quick-action approach,” said Jim Lentz, president and chief operating officer, TMS. “The result was a hybrid – a new decision and approval process and a development style that our engineers refer to as “fast and flexible.” Led by the Toyota Motor Engineering and Manufacturing North America (TEMA) Technical Center in Michigan, the new development model helped reduce development time without compromising product quality. The team has accomplished this by approaching the project as they would a typical mid-cycle “major-minor” product change. Specifically, midway through a generation, the team began with a fully engineered current-generation RAV4, to which was added a major powertrain option, along with minor feature and cosmetic changes. Tesla was responsible for building and supplying the battery, as well as other related parts, that met specific Toyota engineering specifications in performance, quality and durability. Toyota was responsible for development and manufacturing leadership and the seamless integration of the powertrain. “From the beginning, the customer experience has been the focus,” said Lentz. “In other words, how do we deliver an unconventional product to mainstream customers that is compelling and affordable and that offers an acceptable level of daily convenience.” A large part of the team’s focus on the customer experience targeted driveability. In this case, the end goal is a vehicle with driveability characteristics as close to the conventional RAV4 as possible. For example, the demonstration vehicle weighs approximately 220 pounds more than the current RAV4 V6 yet it will accelerate from zero to sixty nearly as quickly. This added weight factor required significant retuning of major components and a prioritized focus on weight distribution. Not only were suspension and steering modified significantly, major components needed to be relocated to better balance the increased mass of the battery pack. The demonstration vehicle Toyota is currently testing is powered by a lithium metal oxide battery with useable output rated in the mid-30 kwh range. However, many decisions regarding both the product, as well as the business model, have not been finalized. Battery size and final output ratings, as well as pricing and volume projections of the vehicle Toyota plans to bring to market in 2012, have not been decided. As for a final assembly location, Toyota is considering many options and combinations. The basic vehicle will continue to be built at its Canadian production facility in Woodstock, Ontario. Tesla will build the battery and related parts and components at its new facility in Palo Alto, Calif. The method and installation location of the Tesla components into the vehicle is being discussed. The RAV4 EV received several distinct exterior styling changes including a new front bumper, grille, fog lamps and head lamps. New EV badging and the custom “mutually exclusive” paint color, completed the transformation. The interior received custom seat trim, multimedia dash displays, push-button shifter and dashboard meters. The RAV4 platform brings a 73-cubic-foot cargo area with rear seats folded down – no cargo space was lost in the conversion to an electric powertrain. In 1997, Toyota brought to market the first-generation RAV4 EV in response to the California zero emission vehicle (ZEV) mandate and was the first manufacturer to meet the mandate’s Memo of Agreement on volume sales. Powered by a nickel-metal hydride battery pack, the vehicle had a range of between 80-110 miles on a single charge. From model year 1998 to model year 2003, only 1,484 vehicles were sold or leased in the U.S. 746 first-generation RAV4 EVs are still on the road (www.toyotarav4ev.com). “Price and convenience proved to be critical success factors and they remain so today,” said Lentz. “But much has changed in the last few years. Most importantly, the growing level of awareness that sustainable mobility will come at a cost that must be shared by the automakers, government and the consumer.” Toyota's approach to sustainable mobility focuses on the world’s future reliance on mobility systems tailored to specific regions or markets, rather than individual models or technologies. It acknowledges that no one technology will be the “winner” and that a mobility system in Los Angeles will probably look very different from one in Dallas or New York or London or Shanghai. Toyota’s comprehensive technology strategy is a portfolio approach that includes a long-term commitment to hydrogen fuel cells, plug-in hybrids and battery electrics all driven by the further proliferation of conventional gas-electric hybrids, like Prius as its core technology. Toyota has announced that coinciding with the arrival of the RAV4 EV in 2012 it will launch, in key global markets, the Prius PHV (plug-in hybrid) and a small EV commuter vehicle. It will also launch, in key global markets, its first commercialized hydrogen fuel cell vehicle in calendar year 2015, or sooner. Finally, by the end of 2012, Toyota will add seven all new (not next-generation) hybrid models to its portfolio.​

6 people like this.
  2. Blackmamba

Blackmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This a fast life, we are on a crash course. What you think I rap for, to push a f**king Rav4?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As a former 13 year owner of a 96 RAV, I'd be soooo all over this...... except for the range. :confused:

4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the range of the original EV RAVs was about the same, what are you getting?

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Typically around 350 miles.............:p

I never said it was an EV model.

1 person likes this.
  6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. What I "read" isn't what you wrote.

I agree more range would be nice, but in my case this car would be almost perfect. I just wish they could get it available more quickly.

7. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not too crazy about the looks, in fact to me its downright ugly. They're redesign makes it look much smaller. I might consider it if it can haul a trailer. But the range isn't too bad for me. Actually the Plug-In Prius (PIP) is probably good enough for me as I don't usually travel over 12 miles in any one direction and only then a couple of times a week.

8. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Volkswagen engineers have said they think with improving ultracapacitor battery technology, it might be possible by 2020 to go 700 km (435 miles) on a single charge and recharge using the standard SAE J1772 connector at a commercial charging station in about 30 minutes to full charge! [​IMG] Once that happens the age of the internal combustion engine for automobiles will come to an end.

Don't be surprised that by 2022 a good fraction of the world's new-build automobiles will be all-electric models with at least 400 km (248 mile) range on a single charge. And Toyota will likely be leading the way with most of its model line offered in electric versions.

1 person likes this.
  9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It has usable 35 kWh in the pack. The 100 miles range very conservative (350 Wh/mi) and it is probably for extreme conditions.

To compare it to the Leaf, Nissan is using about 220 Wh/mi figure.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    definitely fills a need. the Leaf puts commuters back on the EV road, the RAV 4 EV will FAMILIES back on the road. i am getting a Leaf since it will fit my needs, but we need bigger AFFORDABLE EV options. i love the concept of the Tesla S, but its probably just too much money for me and i willing to pay a lot, but if you dont have it, you dont have it.

Toyota; dont do what GM did. build it for the masses, price it for the masses!!

11. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Excellent article. Lots of good info.
    Has anyone heard of "lithium metal oxide" batteries, and what do you know about it? (what has it been used in, advantages, disadvantages?)

Why the RAV4 instead of a car that is lower to the ground? (Oh, because they can sell them to NASA to navigate Martian terrain :D )

Did anyone notice that at the end of the article it says:

12. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not bad, but I am interested in production models in dealerships more than anything else. The only one available near term is the Leaf.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is Lithium Nickel Oxide (LiNiO2) for the cathode and Carbon for the anode. The advantage is better safety (more stable chemistry), higher capacity (more energy) and higher durability.

14. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why have the advantages and attributes of RMI's Hypercar been overlooked, i.e., superior strength, light mass body, high efficiency, etc.?

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iQ EV is coming with those advantages and attributes.

RAV4 EV powered by Tesla has a completely different approach. It is amazing how much they both contrast, coming from the same manufacturer (Toyota).

16. luvmypriushybrid

luvmypriushybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    why is it taking so long for Toyota to release the RAV4-EV?
    We all know what Toyota, GM and Honda did to their electric cars thanks to that excellent movie "Who Killed the Electric Car."
    the customers who were leasing these vehicles were pleading and protesting against these car companies that just came and towed them away to an empty lot.
    the customers were ready to pay $1.9 million for the remaining 78 cars, but they were crushed.

HOWEVER!! i am very happy to see that Toyota is FINALLY ready to release the Rav4-EV and the Plug-In Prius.
    but the 100 mile range will be a deal killer for some people.

i was actually hoping to see hydrogen cars instead of electric cars since hydrogen can be made free using solar power.
    Like Honda has done with it's Clarity. has a longer range and only takes a few minutes to "fill" the tank, not 8 hours or so.

but maybe this is just the first "stepping stone" in reducing our dependence on foreign and domestic oil.
    Our country needs to start moving really fast on energy independence.
    i mean China is years ahead of us when it comes to green energy.

people need jobs, we need to reduce our oil dependency, what the F*CK is our government doing to help lay the groundwork for this to begin?

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    A 100 mile will be a deal killer for some. Guessing that Toyota will be addressing the needs of 80% of people who commute significantly less than the 100 mile limit

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota said 100 miles is even under extreme conditions. I think that means EPA sticker for it should say 100 miles. Leaf is rated for 73 miles.

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Why is it taking so long? Where are you going to get enough cells for the battery -today- in production volumes? It takes time to ramp up cell manufacturing, not to mention raw materiel supplies to even -make- the cells.

Patience grasshopper.

20. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    100 miles for all electric is fine if it is real world range. Price will matter within reason but like the Volt and Leaf I think Toyota will sell all they can build.

This will be the first in it segment.... a mass produced all electric SUV. With Tesla and Toyota working together I think Toyota has a good chance to beat Nissan at the all electric game.