1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Seeks Battery-Price `Sweet Spot' for Plug-Ins

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Steve321, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Steve321

Steve321 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota Motor Corp., the biggest seller of hybrid vehicles, said it's not sure yet how much U.S. consumers may be willing to pay for cars with rechargeable battery packs that provide all-electric driving range.
    ``We need to try and understand where is the sweet spot in the market, the trade-off between pure electric range and the price premium that the customer is going to have to pay for that vehicle,'' Irv Miller, group vice president for communications for Toyota's U.S. sales unit, said yesterday.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just don't understand why the feel the must have a 'one-size-fits-all' "sweet spot". Why not have it scaleable. Have a 5 mile pack, a 10 mile pack, a 20 and even a 40 mile pack. Yes, we know the 40 mile pack will cost us an extra $15-20k, but some of us will pay it. Others only commute 2-3 miles and would go for the cheaper 5 mile pack. It just can't be that hard to make that a customizable feature...then they sell it as reasonably as they can and let the market decide.

3. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Funny... I bet they didn't spend long discussion the GPS DVD option.

As was said above... just do a cost plus margin series of options and let the consumer decide.

If people pay 2k for a GPS option, 800$ for xenon lights, there's money to be made by selling optional battery pack options.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, there is issue with the location of the plug-in pack. My guess is that anything over 10 miles will take the spare tire area. There has to be thoughts put so the rear seats are still foldable, etc...

5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i think 2000 on top of non plugin and it wil be a SUCCES!

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup, they need to take a page out of the apple marketing machine. However anyone with a 2-3 mile commute should really just get a bike.

7. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt

They should put it in the fold-down seat, and call it a "Heated Cushion" feature.

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From GMI they are predicting a $5000 to $7000 tax credit for purchasers of the PHEVs and EREVs when they arrive. If so I'm guessing that Toyota makes the PHEV Prius a super upscale trim at $37000-ish.

If one qualifies for the tax credit then the net price to buy will be in the low $30000 range.

9. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    gotta do the sweet spot thing at first, if there were several plug-in options think of all additional dealer training, spare parts, documentation (EPA figures etc) different vehicle configs - thought of that ? oh U have, never mind

10. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The "sweet spot" is probably 8 miles.

- how far from "house to highway" or "parking lot to highway"

Since once you're on the highway using the ICE, the battery pack recharges quite quickly.

The priority has to be getting the plug-in working at the lowest price point w/o sacrificing cargo space.

11. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Someone explain to me...

why we are talking about 5-10 mile plug in range or a 40 mile plug in range?

It's already been shown that a 220 mile plug in range works...just ask Tesla!

Oh yeah, it comes with a "sweet spot" of 100K!

So...it definitely can be done...a LONG range plug in with electric mode only!

12. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think we can safely say that manufacturers estimates should be halved when considering real world range. Tesla = 125 miles:

Tesla Death Watch 15: 125 Miles on a Charge | The Truth About Cars

I'd be surprised to see the Volt get more than 20 miles EV for most people.

13. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Benchmarking on a 100k USD car may not be the best reference.

HyMotion's pack may be a better reference as to what can be done... it's what? 30 miles EV range for 10k USD?

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree with Evan in that options is what we need. i think ANYONE will do better if they offer at least 3 price points. i know from a LARGE amount of experience that a single offereing that is not in the price range of buyers will eliminate them from contention with no other reason othe than the initial price.

i see it every day with new Pri owners who last year said that the Pri was too much for what it did not realizing that it actually is not. after they get it, its the same thing " why didnt i do this in 2005!!. if i had known what this car was really about..."

well, it will be the same for PHEV owners... a percentage of the ones who take the 5 mile, $2,000 option will have it and will upgrade, sacrificing to pay the additional cost for more range, but it still increases the market for the extended range options, which will in turn, lower the price.

Toyota, give us a $25, 30 and 35,000 option. you will not regret it. if you dont, someone else will and it will take you 2 years to realize and fix your mistake.

15. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How is taking one owner's range claims as gospel any different than those who claim that their Prius only gets 35mpg in city driving when they are expecting 60mpg?

The phrase "Your Mileage May Vary" still applies, and I highly suspect that Martin's Tesla is not driven gently or with economy in mind.

Tesla did a lot of testing an claimed a range of between 150mi-250mi depending on how the car was driven.

Range will also be going up slightly when the v2 transmission starts rolling out as well.

16. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The point isn't the price...it's that it can be DONE...a plug in all electric vehicle that can actually get 220 miles per charge (or 150 miles per charge...depending on the point of view).

The technology is there...already in place and delivered.

In two years Tesla states a proposed $50,000 vehicle, then in two more years a $30-35,000 vehicle...all based on the current electric motor technology.

I would say that anything over 100 miles per charge is pretty darned good. So, why quibble about 4 or 8 or even 25 miles per charge. It's chump change and highly unusable for most.

17. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tesla: A hundred grand for a 125 mile range two seater vehicle (unless you want do destroy that battery.) The extended range mode is not applicable as it will kill off the battery. Compare apples to apples, not oranges.

Sure it would be great as a very impractical type of sports car, but that is not what is being discussed. So, no, it has not been shown "that it can be done" because it hasn't been. An impractical two seater sports car getting only 125 miles is not anything like trying to go as far in a five seater with some cargo space as a family vehicle. The aero cross section will be greater as will the weight, and finding room for the batteries becomes a bigger issue.

125 miles per charge limits it to an in town/near town vehicle unless it is a plug-in hybrid...or we get interchangeable battery packs that can be swapped out at charging stations (the long term approach I advocate.)

18. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well let's see,
    My current Prius goes perhaps a mile or so as electric only.
    Only enough to drag myself near a gas station in an emergency.
    (Which happened once. I had to walk several blocks to buy gas and carry it back to the car.)

My commute to work is 20 miles each way.
    For me, my instinct tells me I would be willing to pay,

5 mi - $1000 - I don't think I'd pay extra for any fewer miles

10 mi - $1500 - maybe

20 mi - $2000 - This would cover my trip to work one way

40 mi - $5000 - This would cover my whole daily commute so would be worth a substantial premium

I don't think I would consider a premium over $5000.

These figures aren't due to any financial calculations. They are just my first instinctive feelings about it.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This suggestion makes so much sense that I am honestly surprised that Toyota didn't come up with it first. Nearly all cars come in different trim lines. There are folks here who drive Priuses with DVD NAV and Bluetooth. I didn't want those options. I just got the "safety" package: VSC and air bags all around. Other folks opt for the no-frills model. It makes perfect sense to have several different size batteries. The shorter-range trim lines will have more cargo space. It's a choice each buyer makes. Designing a new car from the bottom up, there's no need to give up the spare tire. You just design the interior space configuration to fit the options.

"The Truth About Cars" is notorious as a crackpot web site. It's one guy who has a very narrow agenda and no concern for truth.

Don't believe anything you read on the crackpot web site mentioned above. However, I will agree that a small, lightweight two-seater cannot be extrapolated to a five-passenger family sedan. Much over 100 miles EV range brings a very high price tag.

But battery technology is constantly improving, and some big money is going into developing ultracapacitors.

Battery swapping is impractical, but fast-charging is technically possible now with the type of battery I have in my Xebra, and could be a reality with a much smaller infrastructure investment than swapping would require.

20. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do a 1.1 mile stretch once or twice a week (tested in both directions) on battery only and don't recall moving more than 1 bar on the SOC display. On the flat the battery range appears to be several miles, recognizing that the display is non-linear. Climbing hills would be another matter entirely, and one of the reasons a lot more battery will be required.

daniel,

I don't see battery swaps as impractical at all, but fast recharging is dicey. Battery swaps will require design with that in mind, a different kind of filling station. There is no reason that specific form factors can't be designed for use among all manufacturers (several sizes). Besides, paying for the battery on installments rather than necessarily owning it from the start makes sense as it would speed adoption.