1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota short-cuts video on sticking gas pedal fix

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Aegison, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess if I was running Toyota, I would take all due care to make sure our communications were accurate and complete. Edits to, for example, video's on the recall would not leave things out for simplicity or for making it shorter.

I just watched the 2-5-2010 Toyota Video on fixing the sticking gas pedals. Hmmm. Take of the cover plate, jimmy a shim into place, replace the cover plate, push on the accelerator a few times to make sure it doesn't stick.

It's a small thing in one way, but still tells me Toyota isn't fully focused on preserving what credibility it has left.

They left out the very important step about using feeler gauges to see what size shim they should use ... picking the right one and explaining that the shim needed falls into the range designated for this case ... and then put in the chosen shim etc. Saying that different size shims would be custom fitted to a vehicle would make me as an owner or potential buyer feel a lot better than saying one size fits all.

I would be painfully careful to make sure that whatever there is to be seen or heard came from Toyota first, rather than for customers to find more detail elsewhere. There is another video out there somewhere which goes into getting the right shim.

To me, Toyota still doesn't get it ... the need for painfully accurate and complete information to begin coming out of Toyota.

For example, they should, at minimum, say they are evaluating customer complaints on braking etc on Gen II models and will tell us their findings later, even if they later deny there's a problem.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was surprised to learn that the tech has a choice of seven shims to pick from.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what if anything will be done on G2 braking. A PriusChat poll shows that ~20% of respondents think it's a problem. (Personally, I don't notice that issue because I'm used to braking prior to going over irregular road surfaces.)

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Therein lies the quandry. Folks like you & I, likely drive different from those with complaints. While others drive in a manner we'd consider inexplicable. And those folks likely think our anticipatory driving is the same. The same polarized views arise when folks talk about driving uphill on slick ice.