1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to pursue plug-ins

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by nerfer, Jul 18, 2006.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From AP:
    -----------------------
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Toyota Motor North America Inc. president Jim Press said Tuesday the Japanese automaker plans to pursue a plug-in hybrid vehicle, touting the long-term potential of gas-electric hybrids on America's highways.

"Make no mistake about it, hybrids are the technology of the future and they will play a starring role in the automotive industry in the 21st century," Press said in a speech at the National Press Club.

Press, highlighting the company's work on alternative vehicles, said Toyota is also "strongly considering" a program to develop flexible fuel vehicles in the United States capable of running on E85, an alternative fuel made of 85 percent ethanol.

Press, who recently became the first non-Japanese president of Toyota Motor Corp.'s U.S. subsidiary, said hybrid technology has long-term staying power because it can adapt to several alternatives, such as clean diesels, biodiesels, ethanol, plug-in hybrids or hydrogen fuel cells. The automaker produces the popular Toyota Prius hybrid.
    -----------------------
    Read more:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060718/toyota_press.html?.v=1
    :)

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm glad they are listenting to reason.

A flexi-fuel plug-in hybrid would rock. E85 is not a reason to skip being a hybrid bit the opposite is also true... being a hybrid is no reason to not be E85 friendly.

I think the plug-in is the real change though. As soon as we can get over our need to have 100 year old technology (the ICE) as the main drive train in our car the faster we will see that there are cooler ways to transport one self.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Woo Hoo!!

4. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jul 18 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]288277[/snapback]</div>
    The plug would provide me with all the flex fuel I'm looking for, but if the next gen Prius was capable of handling E85, fine and dandy for those in areas who have it available to them.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jul 18 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]288287[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. e85 is a ruse to hide the fact that the other manufacturers are behind. Not to say that e85 is a bad thing but it's far from a solution. Making an engine run on e85 is supposodley simple so it's smart of Toyota to say they will support it (doesn't cost them much and undercuts the green'es of the big 3).

plug-in or pure EV is the true flexu fuel... It can run on anything that can be delievered to my house. Now that's cool!

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jul 18 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]288287[/snapback]</div>

I agree also. I'd be willing to purchase the option that provides a plug in feature. Even though I have a flex fuel station in my area, it's the plug in option I am excited about. Makes me salivate for those photovoltaic panels for my roof. Maybe....I can look into a home equity loan.

7. wstander

wstander New Member

Sign me up!

Burn a little alky and plug into the grid!

Shaaaazzzaaaaaaaaaaam!!

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    PHEV are a major step forward toward reducing use of hydrocarbon-based fuels and moving toward renewable energy sources (hydro, solar, wind, conservation). With photovoltaic panels I can contribute to the grid and recharge from the grid, with a net positive effect.

Hooray and greater success for Toyota! May other auto manufacturers (Detroit, Europe) pay close attention.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TMS_USA, tell the great folks "Thanks for listening!"

10. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    w00t!

Now that it's official, it can be said that (far as I know) the plug-in Prius will be a huge first in automotive history: an everyday technology whose development was literally driven by consumer demand, advocates, private-sector tinkerers and other enthusiasts.

Unbelievable.

We (see above) made it happen.

I don't think it gets any better than this for Toyota, either.

11. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jul 18 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]288268[/snapback]</div>
    Yahoo changed the content of the link. I don't know where the original story went, but here's sth similar from evworld, linking to Bloomberg:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...WWDo&refer=asia

Interesting quote from that article: "GM is also developing a plug-in hybrid vehicle that may be revealed as early as January at the Detroit auto show, GM officials familiar with the project said last month. The car would travel more than 60 miles on a gallon of gasoline, said the officials, who asked not to be identified because the research is secret."

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 18 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]288455[/snapback]</div>
    They always were.

But the enthusiasts weren't thrilled with the reply of needing to wait until our electricity source gets cleaner and the battery technology advances further.

"Not yet" is a bittersweet reality.

13. wstander

wstander New Member

I am a bit confused here.

Is Toyota not already using plug-in Prius in Europe? Or did I misunderstand (again) ? ;-/

14. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 19 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]288751[/snapback]</div>
    The only difference is that the Euro Prius has the EV button stock. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 19 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]288751[/snapback]</div>
    No, they just have the switch for EV mode as standard.

To have a practical plug-in feature, you have to upgrade the battery-pack to one with a bigger capacity. There are still only prototypes, nothing ready-to-buy yet.

16. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 18 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]288455[/snapback]</div>
    Now if they only listen further and tell us that you could upgrade your 9 mile PHEV to 40 miles as an option, that would be swell.

17. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jul 19 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]288757[/snapback]</div>

Oh, okay, I must have it confused with the EV switch. I could have sworn somebody was build a European plug-in truck or van...

maybe just wishful thinking.... :)

18. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Where the heck is darell? How has he not posted on this thread yet?

This is exciting news for sure. Can't wait to use alternative energy (solar, wind, etc) to drive our car 95% of the time!

Does this mean we may see the possibility of an upgrade for Pri that don't have this feature? (Something cheaper than the 5-10K of other after market options?

19. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jul 19 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]288880[/snapback]</div>
    I know where darell is. He is doesn't care if it is E85, plug-ins, or EV right now.... :lol:
    He is on vacation in Hawaii.

Besides, all the rumors from different sources say it is just a 9 miles plugin.... means Darell probably thinks it is further in the BEV direction, but not far enough to do much good.... and that is where most of us commuter is not too happy about.

20. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

Ouch! Nine miles...

I know it's a start, but that just won't cut it. They should do some research on the average miles to and from work/school/etc, and just try to get about 75% of that. I'd say 35-40 miles before the ICE kicks in would be very ideal. Some minor commuters won't be even using their ICE! Imagine infinite MPG :eek: