1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

toyota transmission fluid story

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yes.ittransforms, Sep 3, 2014.

1. yes.ittransforms

yes.ittransforms 100K!!!!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so I called Toyota to get placing on my 100,000MI service. When I brought up to them the idea of a transmission fluid change I was told that it is a very specialized procedure and would run me in the 300 dollar range. of course I trust that the DIY drain and refill is a great means of preventive maintenance for the transmission. I plan on doing the 4 quart drain and refill next weekend myself. just wanted your thoughts as prius experts. and do you think that there is still a significant amount of old fluid left in the system after the drain and refill method?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Drain and fill is the correct method, when you go to the parts desk for 4 quarts of WS-ATF, also get two crush washers.

My dealer charges $109, so not all are intent on robbery

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "I plan on doing the 4 quart drain and refill next weekend myself. just wanted your thoughts as prius experts. and do you think that there is still a significant amount of old fluid left in the system after the drain and refill method?"

No...not like "regular automatic transmissions" where at least 30% of the old fluid is left in the torque converter. As stated, drain and fill is good for the Prius.

4. yes.ittransforms

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like there is a lot of old thinking out there. The toyota mechanic specifically mentioned the converter. I love having to use a public website to verify the word of a "Toyota certified" service rep. Looks like I have project next weekened!! (Secret yay)

5. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm
    Did the Tech say or mean "inverter"?

Transmission drain and fill as discussed in previous posts.

Inverter coolant change is a different procedure with different fluid. (Many posts for this DYI) Maybe this was why the shop was quoting you $300. That would be a fair price for BOTH transmission fluid and inverter coolant change.

dorunron likes this.
  6. yes.ittransforms

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a good thought. Especially since I have been posting about coolant changes. But that's not it, I will be doing the drain and fill on my Trans asap. Thanks again for all your input.

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    im doing mine this weekend at 200,000 miles..there are tons of you tube videos that show everything you will need to do....I rebuilt the battery on my last prius using the info from here and U/T so the tranny service should be an easy job

8. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The transaxle drain and fill is about a 20 minute job. Very easy DIY. 24mm socket, 10mm Allen head socket, 4qts WS ATF, 2 crush washer, medium funnel, 2-3' of hose no greater than 1/2" od, and a torque wrench set at 29 ftlbs. Just did this Monday @50k on the odo. As previously stated great how tos on PC and YouTube. No way would I ever believe the advertised lifetime fluid statements from mother Toyota. They had the same position on their Sequoia's ATF, I never listened there either.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota's idea of vehicle lifetime might be much shorter than your idea - if you are a conscientious owner and want your car to last more than 150K miles. After all, they need people to continue to buy their new cars...

frodoz737 and DadofHedgehog like this.
  10. wa-chiss

wa-chiss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Master Tech here, "Specialized Procedure"? Yeah right!! There's nothing to the transmission. No converter, no external fluid cooler, no solenoids. I've never charged more than half an hour to drain and fill a Prius. Maybe an hour tops if doing the Hybrid cooling system too. And that's still slightly longer than it really takes. I bet they were going to try and sell a "Flush" service.

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The transaxle DOES have an external cooler.

Attached Files:

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe that's the inverter coolant loop. ;)

I believe the transaxle is cooled by passages in the ICE coolant loop.

SCH-I535

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Then, why is the drain right near the transaxle fluid drain?

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, you're probably right. :)

Maybe I'm thinking about something I read in the Nissan Leaf thread, but that would also be the inverter coolant loop.

SCH-I535

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The coolant loop runs through the transaxle to cool it.

It is very important that the coolant be changed, too.

frodoz737 likes this.
  16. wa-chiss

wa-chiss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, that's not transmission fluid running through it. All coolant. The ATF gets cooled by the SLLC running through the transmission then the radiator and finally the inverter. Hence, it's cooled internally, meaning the trans fluid never leaves the transmission. And yes, changing ATF can be done with the coolant. Their drain plugs are close enough to each other and it's the same procedure for both systems. Drain and refill.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, the transaxle change takes me at least an hour. I'll spend at least 1/2 hour getting the whole car level on jack stands, and get the whole underpanel off (my pref).

But there's nothing overly complicated.

Addendum: For a professional with a lift, it's a lot simpler/easier.

#17 Mendel Leisk, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  18. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's called Job Security.

19. writes123

writes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone added Lubegard Platinum to their WS fluid during a fluid change. I recently did a D&F on my 05 with 100k miles and added Lubegard. Would be interested in thoughts or experiences with any Lubegard products. Thanks.

Thinking about a D&F again at 105k miles either due to possible Lubegard issues (possible, though Lubegard reps have noted that Priuses are good with their product) or just to clean it out since it was the initial transaxle fluid service.

Also, I noted that generally 15% viscosity loss is noted at 30k miles. So is there any real benefit to change it at an earlier interval, say 10k or 15k?

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that the viscosity loss stabilizes after 30K miles. The only reason to change the oil at 30K miles or at an earlier interval would be to get dirt/debris from the initial manufacturing process out of the system.