1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Unveils Advanced Prius Tech

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeff N, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
  2. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great finds. Thanks.

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dual 4.2 inch screens? I don't remember seeing that in the reveal shots.

4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    - 20% losses reduction in transaxle and PCU
    - cd of 0,24
    - 40% engine efficiency

IMO, we are looking at something between 55 MPG and 58 MPG EPA rating

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the speedo and the MID side-by-side on the dashboard. The speedo/fuel gauge/iMPG are no longer using a projected VFD image.

[​IMG]

The speed, fuel gauge and temperature is one screen. The Energy Monitor is the 2nd screen.

Look at what the Japanese Prius gets :)

Toyota Bringing Advanced ITS Technology to Mass-market Models | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

Pale Fox likes this.
  6. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, stacked Motor/Generators, what a massive (geometric) change.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Pale Fox and Jeff N like this.
  8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One thing I didn't expect was that the E-four system uses an induction motor, not a permanent magnet motor.

proprius likes this.
  9. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I missed that detail. Where does it say that?

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here:

E-Four | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

Another interesting detail is that there's a 1500W source of AC in the cargo area. I wonder if that will come to the US.

#10 Lee Jay, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
  11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

For those that didnt catch it, this is first application of new parking sonars/system... not only it is now easier to use and can back into any kind of space, sonars are working with auto-brake system and it will auto stop vehicle if sonars detect obstacle. Also it will work with pedal missaplication so if some 80yr old drive presses gas instead of brake, Prius with IPA will brake and not accelerate.

Prius will then have the most advanced auto-brake system under Toyota group, since this has not been applied to any Lexus vehicle yet. It also included Safety Sense P, which has all other advanced features like all-speed radar control and pedestrian detection... this system uses radar+cameras so it has excellent performance and works at all speeds (very unique).

giora likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the good news is at least it appear the changes to the next Gen Prius aren't just skin deep.

Wonder why Toyota was so hesitant to share this level of information? This news release on the night of the reveal would of gone a long way towards making the whole experience seem much more tangible and less smoke and mirrors.

I can understand wanting to "build" excitement or interest, but Prius Owners are a demanding and tech savy bunch. I think as a whole they want tech specifics MORE than the average car buyer or owner.

Felt likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe they aren't thinking specifically of current owners.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Prius is still 2-3 months away from market, they wont release info sooner than that... They have at least 3 different introduction levels where they present new information, thats how car marketing works.

15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I read this as: Charging (from engine & regen braking) is up by 28%, significant IMO!

Then, how far on low speed EV mode compared to Gen 3, and top speed?

16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if I agree with that.
    I remember the release of the Gen 3, and despite an odd inability for Toyota to figure out and officially release what grade of gasoline was recommended, Toyota seemed much more forthcoming with technical information about the Gen 3, way before it's actual release.

IMO there is no information being released today, that it shouldn't of been possible to release in Vegas during the reveal. And I also don't think it would of short circuited or stalled any enthusiasm in regards to marketing the vehicle, in fact the release was generally heralded as unsatisfying to many...so I think it would of helped.

Felt likes this.
  17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it doesnt work that way... each time they release new batch of info, their vehicle ends up in all the press. So right now, they get 3 major spots in all national media during vehicle reveal, with one other possible before all of that - concept vehicle.

With your info they would basically get 1 spot in the media, not to mention that they would have to stop selling current generation vehicle. because nobody would want to buy it anymore since they know everything about new one.

Right now we are between 2 and 3 months of the release... they still have pricing and some final specs to release (detailed equipment, 0-60, etc).

new batteries are smaller capacity than before... so they charge better but lesser max charge.

#17 spwolf, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
    Sergiospl likes this.
  18. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever....

What it boils down to me....is that a LOT of people were expecting a little more technical information to coincide with the reveal.

And IMO it would of been in Toyota's best interest to of perhaps revealed some of these tech truths at that time.

Like I said originally...I understand wanting to build excitement...or interest....

But I don't think Toyota has handled the release of information in the best possible way.

Release of technical information doesn't curtail interest, it promotes it. It promotes discussion about it, as it is right now- with this thread.

IMO to create interest, you have to have something that allows people to BE interested.

This technical information and some of the specifics now being revealed promote much more interest IMO than the simply lowering the Prius from the sky on wires and saying...."It Looks Pretty".

As far as parsing out information to create timed news events?
    We are close enough (within 90 days) of the vehicle being a commercial entity. So I don't think that matters so much. Also again, we as Prius owners, I think are a little more committed or interested in the specifics. So we are going to be LOOKING for this information. For the vast majority of the public? They aren't going to be clicking on specific new releases. They may go looking for more specifics once they see a commercial for the specific vehicle. if they are interested. But for most people? Toyota unveils advanced technologies in new Prius, probably isn't going to result in a website hit.

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think you are looking at it too much from your own point of view... I would personally like if Toyota would send me their 10 year product plan... in reality, it will not happen.

Point of their PR is that their vehicle get featured 3 times in major media within 90 days... thats what they are getting and it is better than any ad campaign they can do.... it doesnt matter if people are interested or not, you cant miss new Prius in major media.

This is done the same for every vehicle introduction from Toyota/Lexus and other manufacturers as well.

KrPtNk likes this.
  20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Quite few other of their vehicles (like RX) had much longer wait time between first concept and full tech info... Prius was first revealed last month and this month we got almost everything possible... so this is a lot shorter than usual (i think RX info was separated by half a year), and also Prius Chat team had access to the car at the reveal, and told us a lot of these new things... so in fact, we could say they are taking a lot more care of their Prius owners with information flow compared to for instance RX.