1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Reset via DLC3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pjksr02, May 9, 2011.

1. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, I admit I did something stupid, and I've searched everywhere but haven't seen this particular issue discussed.

After I put on my winter tires and rims, which do not have TPMS sensors, last fall, I pressed the TPMS Reset button. I guess this was habit, having owned a Sienna in the past (with indirect TPMS). After pressing the button, and the light blinking 3 times, I took the car for a drive, and eventually the TPMS light blinked a minute and stayed on. From then on, once I start my Prius, the light blinks a minute, then stays on, indicating a TPMS fault. My Prius did not respond to my OEM TPMS sensors, stored next to it in the garage. I believe this is a failure-to-initialize TPMS problem.

So now, I have my OEM wheels and tires on, and continue to have the blinking-to-solid light, even after 1000 miles. My TPMS sensors are most likely perfectly functioning. Yes, I could go to a shop and pay to have this resolved, but before that, I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. (My OBD tool can't pick up the TPMS data.)

If I jump TC and CG at the DLC3, to reset the TPWS ECU, will the system then begin searching for my TPMS sensors again? Another way to say it is: does jumping TC and CG totally erase my sensor IDs, which I believe are still registered; or is this a way to clear a communications error?

Here are two references, one from Toyota, another from a trade journal, describing a device made to jumper TC and CG:

http://rav4world.com/tsb/2006/PG004-06.pdf

TPMS Update: Toyota Tire Pressure Monitor Systems

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is a connector behind the glove box. This jumper will dissable the TPMS.

If you search the forums you can learn more.

[​IMG]

3. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    See the owner's manual. Hit the Reset button for the TPMS with the tires you have on now. That should clear it up.

As to the winter tires, you can simply ignore the warning light, or disable it. Personally, I just ignore it for my winter tires.

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The mod listed above takes less then 5 minutes.

5. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the posts. I've seen the mod to disable the TPMS, and am tempted.

As for the reset switch, that's what started the problem. If you press reset, and the registered TPMS sensors are not found, the system will error out, and lock out use of the reset switch again. This is distinct from if you do not press the reset button, and just take your tpms sensors off the car. In that case, after 15 minutes, your light will flash, then stay on; if you then would bring the sensors near the car, it will find them and turn the light off.

So, another way to ask, is what does grounding the TC to CG do?

Here's a better Toyota pub:

http://www.toyotapart.com/TIRE_PRES..._LOST_COMMUNICATION_WITH_ECU_T-SB-0084-09.pdf

6. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went ahead and jumpered TC to CG. My Prius entered DIAG mode! Try it sometime...

The TPMS light blinked out my DTCs, which are C2121-C2124, and C2177. Unfortunately, one must have a "tester" to clear the C2121-24 codes, so it looks like I'll have to upgrade my OBD-II equipment.

Can anyone verify if the Scangauge will clear chassis (C) codes, related to TPMS?

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~nash/TCH/TPMS.pdf

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't believe it does. You'll need the TIS software with a cable to access it to clear them, IIRC. Take a road trip down here and I'll do it for free :)

1 person likes this.
  8. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Quite correct wick1ert! Thanks for your help.

To view the TPMS ECU data stream, you need a device capable of "seeing" KWP2000 data. One example is the Drew Mongoose MFC interface, or an equivalent.

In my case, I obtained an interface, cleared my DTCs, and am now light-free.

So, to close this thread, don't ever press the TPMS Reset Switch, then drive away from your sensors. Unless you have a capable scan tool, of course.