1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS, Trickle Charging, and Scan-gauge?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Eco-Boi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, so I am still new to my Prius and was wondering a few things.

First, the owner's manual says there is a TPMS, but I can't seem to find it in the digital display? I check my tire pressure manually once per week to make sure I have the proper PSI, but I was wondering if there is a way to access it in-vehicle?

Second, I was wondering if I bought a solar panel with a car adapter, would it trickle charge my battery while I drive it, or is that not possible? I was told the sockets are not active when the car is off, so I figured maybe while I drive I could trickle charge it?

Last, I have heard about a thing called Scangauge, does it work well, and where could I get one? If anyone has used one I would love to hear how it works and what it does. I just want to know more about my car, because my last car (2012 Honda Fit) had the needles indicating heat and an icon for tire pressures. So I miss knowing if the car's fluids are ready and what the tires are at without manually checking them.

Thanks in advance! :)

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, tpms only lights a light if pressure gets low in a tire(s). You still have to check them yourself to see which tire(s) is/are low.

No, that would be good if you want to maintain a charge in the 12v battery if it will remained parked for a long time, say 3+ weeks but not for charging something like the traction battery.

Many here have a scan gauge, I never bothered with one as I prefer to just get in and drive so others can tell you more about that.

Eco-Boi likes this.
  3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is a good thread on the ScanGauge and what you can do with it. I use mine to monitor RPM, coolant temperatures, and HV battery Amps while driving. Also good for turning off extra seat belt beeps, changing reverse beeper to one beep, checking codes, and many other things.

Check the owner's manual for warning light locations.

Solar panel idea would not be worth the trouble and probably couldn't be done for a reasonable price, if at all.

Eco-Boi likes this.
  4. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the advice, did you forget to post the link, I don't see one? I'll try looking for the thread in the mean time. :)

5. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, so the effect of the panel is probably negligible. I wonder why Toyota put in Panels on the newest model, and yet they only made it for the fan system. I think it's a good idea because it will increase the lifespan of the electronics and make it so you aren't boiling upon entry, but why not also have some of it go to the battery in the back under the seats? I wonder if they are working on that. Would be really cool.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, old age creeping up on me. :eek: ScanGaugeII work on 2010? | PriusChat

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's only used for the fan system because compared to the currents that the traction battery deals with, its effect would be negligible. Same deal with the trickle while charging idea. While the car's in ready mode the traction battery keeps the 12V battery very happy indeed. The reason why you read so many 12V battery concerns is because it's a small battery and its degradation goes unnoticed until things get weird. Since it doesn't crank the engine there aren't any warning signs in advance of its demise. Years to go before you have to worry about that, though.

Regarding the TPMS, all you'll see of it is a little tire shaped warning light when you're powering up. It's only set up to warn you when a tire drops below a range of acceptable pressure. Read your owner's manual.

Here's what's in my owner's manual:

[​IMG]

Did you get your vibration problem resolved?

Eco-Boi likes this.
  8. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FIRST OF ALL, you are AMAZING for that diagram! Second, yes, the vibration problem has been fixed. They took the car in the shop for 1 week, lent me another Prius for the meantime, and then I got it back a week or so ago. They said something was not factory setup properly and the stock tires were no good. So I just nodded and signed the paper saying "Covered Under Warranty." And I was on my way and happy! I was so stressed for 2 months trying to get my issue resolved, but glad it's over, I love my Prius, and I defend it's environmental, driving, and other features to the death with facts. Thank you for your post, and I've heard hysterical (probably not at the time), but funny stories about the 12V batteries. I just figured maybe the Panels could charge the battery under the seats, but if not, that's fine, I didn't buy a solar car, it's a Hybrid, I'll expect more out of my next car, which I plan on being Electric. :)

9. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank YOU! You are amazing! THANKS! There are so many threads that sometimes it's hard to find anything :D

tumbleweed likes this.