1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Health Monitor for Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Prius OBDII Third-Party Apps' started by pnitin, Oct 11, 2012.

1. pnitin

pnitin New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,
    I have developed a small OBD data logging device that logs the traction battery data on microSD card. This data contains useful information like battery charge level, current cell voltage, cell internal resistance and temperature. at interval 2 to 10 seconds while car is running. All this information is very useful in early failure detection of traction battery.
    Coming Soon ... - OpenElectrons.com
    at present it is being tested on my 2004 prius II. At present I am soliciting beta testers.

if any one interested please let me know
    Nitin

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds excellent, thank you!

3. carmanahwoo

carmanahwoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in if you accept participants from cold Canada.

2012 - 4000kms

Ghislain

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, especially if it/you can help get warranty HV replacement prior to an error code. Thoughts?

5. rwyckoff

rwyckoff Phev's Plus Home Solar power1

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be interested, have a 2004 (Nov.03) with 264kmiles and original Batt. pack. But I also have a Hymotion plug-in pack the last 4 years, don't know if that fits your criteria. I really am curious about the condition of my pack, would love to know. Right now it takes about 300whr to charge the pack from 2 bars up thru 8 bars at 20amp continuous charge, doing the foot on brake in drive, other foot pushing the accelerator thing.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hook me up. I may only be the primary driver of my 2004 Prius for another month, but it will remain in service and trackable for a couple years.

Evan, ?

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Will this work with the 2010 Gen III Prius? If so, I would be interested.

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Would this data loger be fully compatible with Gen 2 and 3? How about PiP?
    I have a Gen2 and PiP...

9. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    '04 with 180,000 miles. Interested.

PA Prius

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This interests me and if the price is right, Ill gladly be one of the first ones to buy it! :)

11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am a willing participant.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am a willing participant but I think the UK is to far away from you or may be not.

13. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 with 162,000 mi.- I'm interested. :)

14. Justin Case

Justin Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd love to try it out. I have a 2007 with 140,000 miles with no modifications. What would need to be done on my end to connect everything up? How would I see the data?

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would this device be something of a temporary diagnostic and health check? something to plug in for a week and get a pass/fail grade and then pass it on to a another friend with a Prius?

16. pnitin

pnitin New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This Device is small OBDII port device which has microSD card socket on it. You can connect this device on OBDII port and drive the car as normal. it will talk with ECU and collect key data and write this data in SD card. You can keep this device connected for shorter time or for longer time (weeks or Month).
    you can retrieve the data by taking out SD cart and putting SD cart in computer and copying files and analyzing in spreadsheet.

all those who are interested in beta test please write to [​IMG]
    thanks
    regards
    Nitin

17. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm interested if you can configure it to work with Geniii.

I'm currently doing this with torque but would love for something to run in the bg.

One note-i find that 5 second logging intervals on torque are too frequent. Log files become too large too quick. Plus, battery Heath characteristics don't change very rapidly. Would prefer a polling cycle of 1, 3, or 5 minutes. Just a thought.

phone using an app

18. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm interested. I have a 2008 GenII, a Kiwi BT OBD adapter and a Samsung Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile).

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just received an email from OpenElectrons.com that my device will ship next week. I look forward to capturing the battery data and begin a history trend.

I have monitored this data with SGII but that is a LOT of data to try to remember what normal looks like. With this data capture device I can see capturing and storing periodically to compare and look for any noticeable trend line changes.

20. Mutual

Mutual Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is my first post on this site. I found that this site has been very helpful for me to get familiar with the Prius. Bought my first Prius, a used gen ii, 2004 with just fewer than 80k miles at the end of September. It runs great typically averaging in the low 40 mpg. I am still getting the hang of pulse and glide.

Since living in PA, the car no longer has any warranty. In the back of my mind, I have been concerned with the longevity of the HV battery. After reading the post for a battery health monitor, I did get in touch with OpenElectrons.com about being a beta tester for their Battery Health Monitor. I received mine in the mail today.

It a small module that plugs into the OBD port. I plugged it in and it records SOC, current, battery modules voltage and resistances and the temperatures. I did a quick test on my car, the module voltages are around 16.3 Volts, and all the modules are within 200mV of each other. From the relative minor deviation of the battery module voltage, I think the battery still has some useful life in it being over 8 years old. Exactly how much life is still remaining is one of my nagging questions about the car.

From reading this site and other sources, when the HV battery fails, one or more of the battery modules voltage drops significantly from the others. Like any manufactured object, the HV battery has a limited life. Hoping to monitor the battery health and figure out when the battery has degraded from use/age that it will require rebuilding or repairing.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of data or documentation describing when the internal battery module voltage, resistance changes that would cause the battery to fail? As a firm believer in preventative maintenance is the best way of ensuring that, the car does not wake up with the dreaded Christmas light syndrome. After all, we change oil, filters, fluids on a regular basis to increase the likely hood that our cars run as long and trouble free. I would like to know if there are early warning signs to know that the battery is beginning to fail, so I can arrange to have the battery serviced on my schedule, not when it becomes an emergency.

Attached Files:

Drafty01 and JMD like this.