1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by HansRobert, Jun 29, 2014.

1. HansRobert

HansRobert New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was showing my new Prius to a friend and the question of traction battery life came up. I was asked how long does the traction battery last for which I answered it is warranted for 100k miles but many have gone beyond.

He then asked about replacement cost. For this I did not have an answer. What would a replacement traction battery cost? I don't have to be concerned but was just curious.

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally 304000 at a stealership, but there are many used or rebuilt options for 600 and up. or if you have the time and patience, you can rebuild it yourself for next to nothing.

3. HansRobert

HansRobert New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Now I'm curious as to what is involved in rebuilding a battery?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are plenty of threads here with expert write ups and pics. the basics are; pull the battery out and test all the cells for anomalies. usually, a few cells re way out of whack and need to be replaced. you can buy new ones cheap on ebay and then you use a few hobby charges to 'balance all the cells so they are within the same parameters. put it back together and you're good to go for quite a few more miles until another cell or two fails.

bigrin likes this.