1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trading in 2007 Prius - thinking of New with Solar Package

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by LLD123, May 3, 2014.

1. LLD123

LLD123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone here have any opinion on the 2014 Prius Hatchback Four with the Solar Package option? I may be moving from Southern California to Connecticut, and I'm not sure if the solar feature would work that well out there or not. Any input would be enormously appreciated!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why would the solar feature not work out there? All it requires is sunlight and it cools your car before you get in. You have to also remember Socal is quite hot compared to Connecticut, it might not even be necessary

LLD123 likes this.
  3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, Connecticut gets sun.

It can also get very humid when it's hot.

FWIW we're very happy with our solar roof, two years on. Michigan gets sun too.

LLD123 likes this.
  4. NordEco

NordEco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I lived in Rhode Island, Boston, New York before moving Prius to SF. Solar worked just fine in every place. I could not see any difference in performance regardless of a location. As JC said - all it needs is sun :)

LLD123 likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live at 53°N latitude (CT sits around 40-43°N) where it can hit -40 in the winter (typically -30°C) and it can hit +30°C (86°F) in the summer (typically 25°C/77°F) and I have the solar roof option. It works well in the summer, keeping the car well ventilated. It's a luxury to be able to step in a car that's maintained at a comfortable temperature in the summer. The climate is dry and not humid so humidity may play a role in your comfort level.

LLD123 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would like to have it, it's just that you only need it a few months a year. even when it's nice out (3 days a year:p ) if you have to park in the sun, it can really heat up the cabin, so weigh that into your equation.

LLD123 likes this.