1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sreese01, Oct 13, 2014.

1. sreese01

sreese01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey forum,

I've been an anonymous guest for quite some time. I bought a pre-owned 2008 Prius with about 114,000 and recently at 126,000 miles changed the transaxle fluid. Thanks to +Patrick Wong, who convinced me (through reading his replies) to drain and fill it. I'm glad I did, a surprisingly noticeable difference in how its running. The magnetized drain plug, which has a lip, was completely filled to the brim with micro-debri (no large chips or shavings).

To those who are on the fence and are mechanically, even in the slightest, do it (obviously do your "how to" research beforehand). I will be doing the same every 60,000 miles! Anyone want to try and convince me that 30,000 isn't overly aggressive (my feeling)?

Happily signed,
    Scott Reese

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. sreese01

sreese01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for replying. Good links you provided there!

Do you notice a difference in the way the car "feels" after a fluid change? Granted, mine probably was never done despite the car being very well maintained --- the car had a copy of the entire service record when I bought it. I sincerely doubt the dealer swapped it out for the previous owner. The service record was hit or miss as far as detail is concerned.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, not really.

I just always change transmission or transaxle fluid at 12 k miles.

I was a good find that it did not have a magnetic drain plug.

All I know is that all of that metal floating around in the fluid DOES accelerate wear.

Based on others, who have Gen II Prius models finding a lot of iron and steel caught by the magnet, I made my own with a much stronger neodymium rare earth magnet.

Thank YOU!

Attached Files:

5. Usman Farooq

Usman Farooq New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just changed Transmission fluid on my Prius 2007, i noticed that only around 3 L drained out of transmission and 3.5 L was filled. The Toyota Ws 4 L costs $36 here in Pakistan with free Drain and Fill service.