1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle Fluid Drain & Fill (DIY Easy as 1-2-3)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by R1CH13, Apr 8, 2013.

1. R1CH13

R1CH13 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys! I just changed the transaxle fluid for my Prius today. I went to the Toyota dealer and picked up 4 quarts of ATF-WS. They recommended that I shouldn't change the fluid but I did anyways. Service performed at 41,256 miles on my 3rd gen Prius. The fluid at this mileage was dark red like a burgundy color.

The hardest part in changing the transaxle fluid was removing the underbody bumper. That took forever to remove but besides that it was easy. If you guys are wondering where the drain and fill plug is for the transmission fluid I have a picture with a diagram showing where it is.

[You will need the following for the service 10mm socket wrench & flat headed screwdriver to remove underbody bumper, 10mm allen wrench to remove the transaxle bolt, 4 quarts of Toyota ATF-WS, a funnel with a plastic hose or a fluid pump (I used funnel & hose), drain pan, & possibly tarp if you don't want your driveway to get dirty.] DSCN1633.jpg DSCN1630.JPG DSCN1631.JPG DSCN1632.JPG DSCN1637.JPG

AH-1S and Rebound like this.
  2. R1CH13

R1CH13 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here are additional images. DSCN1638.JPG DSCN1636.JPG DSCN1635.JPG

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, good pic's. ;)

A few comments:

1. Have a method to get the car (safely) raised and level. This ensures proper fluid level when refilling.

2. It's not do-or-die, but I'd replace the two plug's washers, whenever you've got them off.

3. The plastic underpanel has a couple of fasteners that are distinctly different, heavier. There might actually be more variations, but the others are close enough that you can mix up. The two heavier ones are right around the "maintenance flap".

4. Proper fluid level is achieved by pouring in new fluid until it starts coming back out, then wait 'till it more-or-less stops.

5. Both Fill and Drain plug torque spec: 29 ft/lb

KeystoneKid and Rebound like this.
  4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not that this hasn't been written up before but it is always good to get another prospective and photos. Good job.

Your old fluid looks to be what I would expect it would after that many miles. Some members fluid here looked absolutely terrible, contaminated I would say.

Did you jack it/level it up?

Plan to do mine this summer @ about 45k.

Thanks!

5. Charlie Bravo

Charlie Bravo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What color should the fluid be?

6. R1CH13

R1CH13 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Spiderman: I used a ramp to go underneath the vehicle and then let the excess amount of fluid drip into the pan. I think it's close to the amount that was drained otherwise it has a little more than needed. I took it for a test drive around the block and the Prius shifted so much smoother.

Charlie: New ATF-WS fluid should be bright red. I highly recommend sticking with toyota fluid because it keeps you under warranty & helps protect against corrosion.

7. Charlie Bravo

Charlie Bravo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    R1CH13: When you say it took "forever" to remove, how much time are you talking about? How long did the entire evolution take?

8. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How did it shift smoother? The Prius doesnt shift at all.

Gregg Symington likes this.
  9. R1CH13

R1CH13 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Charlie: It took about 15-20 minutes to remove the cover and 20 mins to drain & fill. The whole process took a little under an hour. Total cost for me to do it was $40 compared to dealer price at $110.

Gliderman: When I meant it shifted smoother what I meant was when the engine changes from electric to gas and vice versa when driving.

10. Mide

Mide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great posting, thanks

11. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I swear Toyota Parts employees are trained to discourage ATF-WS sales...

R1CH13 likes this.
  12. R1CH13

R1CH13 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah they told me that it wasn't recommended for me to change the fluid since the fluid will be good throughout the life of the vehicle. Once I changed it the color was dark red instead of bright red. Glad I didn't listen to the dealer and I managed to save $70 in labor doing it myself.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe someone doesn't want us to know the truth???:oops:

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well that is only if you have a Prius... a Tundra,,, no problem sell you tons

15. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    No need to remove the bottom cover

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you drain, refill and re-install the plugs with the car on a significant tilt? This might skew the fluid level: the drill is to fill with the car level, until it starts coming back out. If you're using ramps for the front end, you could accomplish this by jacking up the back end and setting on safety stands.

In either event it's likely close. ;)

KeystoneKid likes this.
  17. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just did mine again on Sunday. I was at 59,900 miles; I have previously changed it at 15k and at 32k. The fluid I drained was bright red.

A couple things to note - although the repair manual says the fluid capacity is 3.5 qt, I found that it required just over 4 quarts to fill the transaxle until fluid began to spill out of the fill hole. However, I did allow the transaxle to drain for over an hour, which is not common. The manual does state that anywhere between 0mm and 10mm under the fill plug is considered to be an acceptable level, so it is possible that 3.5 qt brings you to 10mm below the fill hole - but this is difficult to verify...so I would recommend filling it until the fluid begins to run out.

For those of us who prefers a fluid pump, the Amsoil fluid pumps screw onto the Toyota ATF-WS bottles and are simply the best pumps that I have used.

This is true - but only if you plan to use lots of full-strength degreaser and a garden hose afterwards for the clean-up. :rolleyes:

18. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Draining the fluid doesnt even touch the plastics so plastic cover removal uneccesary.

19. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you leave the fill plug in, it might be OK, but sometimes the fluid will spray everywhere when it drains so the clean-up will be much more difficult. Also, many DIYers will probably make a mess when they try to fill the transmission.

Removing the cover is going to be difficult once the car gets older, BTW. The clips will get gummed up with dirt/debris and will probably break unless you use a clip removal tool in a gentle manner.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like pulling the cover off completely, for oil changes or transaxle fluid change. Once you're used to it it takes maybe 15 minutes. Anytime I've got the fasteners off I rinse them out in soapy water, get's the problematic grit out. There's a couple of the fasteners, near the maint. flap, that are a bit bigger, worth marking.

Paint can openers work good with those fasteners, coupled with a thin blade screw driver, depending on the situation. Here's an example:

paint-can-opener.jpg

NewShockerGuy likes this.