1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission/engine block front seal repair $$$ ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kvijaykiran, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kvijaykiran

kvijaykiran New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I brought in my 2008 prius to the Toyota dealership this morning for an 80,000 mile service. The dealership guy came back to me saying that the transmission fluid has been leaking and gave me an estimate for $1,250 to replace what he called as 'front seal' - the seal that connects the engine block and the transmission. He said it need not be replaced right away and that I should be able to use the car until my next oil change service. If I overlooked the problem, he said it could cause my transmission to fail and that would unload me of about $3,000 from my pocket.

My extended warranty on the car ended just last October at 75,000 miles and I am currently at 78,300 mile mark.

I am having a hard time believing that it would cost $1,250 for replacing the 'front seal'. Can any one that might have gone through this situation provide comments/thoughts? Is it worth taking the car to a non-dealer to have this repaired?

Thanks,
    Vijay.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That price doesn't surprise me because the front suspension has to be removed, then the engine/transaxle will be removed as a unit. Then the transaxle has to be separated from the engine so that the seal can be replaced on the transaxle. Then reassemble.

All of that could easily take 10 labor hours or more.

An independent knowledgeable about Toyota hybrids could do the work.

kvijaykiran likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! sorry to hear it, that's very unusual. i would get a second opinion as well. all the best.(y)

kvijaykiran likes this.
  4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you don't see any oil droplets on the garage floor underneath the transmission, I'll not worry about it even the casing is wet with oil just keep an eye on the oil level and top it off.

kvijaykiran likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am inclined to agree with Bedrock8x. If it is only a slight leak no damage will be caused as long as you keep it reasonably topped up. If it is a large leak you have no choice but to get the work done, and considering the amount of labor it will take the estimate sounds more than reasonable for a dealer. However I would get it checked by another dealer or mechanic before having work carried out.
    Putting your location in your avatar will help us to guide you to possible independent workshops that are known to do good work at a fair price.

John (Britprius)

kvijaykiran likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That seal is not the problematic seal that leaks, from the threads I've read here, it's normally the axle seal on the driver's side that leaks. I can't remember ever reading a main front seal leaking thread on here. The axle seal can cost you a pretty penny to replace as well, just not as much as a main front seal would cost. Probably 1/3 of the price quoted

I definitely would get a second opinion on this repair.

kvijaykiran likes this.
  7. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd bet the front axle seal is leaking, there isn't a seal between the transaxle and the engine. The transaxle case itself might be leaking but that's unlikely.

kvijaykiran likes this.
  8. kvijaykiran

kvijaykiran New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

I believe it is the front axle seal. I asked the toyota guy exactly what it was called. He said 'front seal' and he gave the description that it was the seal between the engine block and the transmission.

I did see a some reddish colored liquid on my garage floor, but I didn't think it came from the prius. I thought it might have been my kids that spilled some fruit juice. It made sense when the toyota guy asked me if I saw any reddish color oil when I parked.

I will get a second opinion, but I will have to check where I am lost on where I can find a reliable repair guy in Ames, IA or around here.

I did update my profile to show my location. I am still learning to use the site, so I will update other details to show up as well.

- Vijay.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

An axle seal can be replaced by any competent mechanic. Doesn't have to be the dealer. Call around and ask how much the labor rates cost. The cost for the seal is less than $15.00, you are basically paying for all labor. If you haven't changed your transaxle fluid at 80,000 miles, it would be a good time to do that as well.

kvijaykiran likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you far from indiana?:unsure:

11. kvijaykiran

kvijaykiran New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm from Iowa.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how about madison, wisconsin? anyway, it sounds like you're good for a while, and plenty of time to research local shops if necessary.

13. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a thought . Synthetic oil swells seals. And I've heard several pcchatters using synthetic in the Prius transaxles. What does everyone think.. If you do have to replace the seal have them replace every seal on the bugger while it is removed.. Some PC chat members insist that there is nothing special with Toyota world standard transmission fluid . some are using I think deadline d2..

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Where did you hear that ?
    ALL oil has additives to help with seal life.
    Those additives may or may not help with an actual gasket, depending on what it is made of.

The first thing I would do for a leaking gasket is re-torque the bolts that pinch it.
    Once in a great while, that will actually fix the problem.

15. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder why the OP hasn't given us an update on the repair. I'm curious where the transaxle
    fluid was leaking from. Maybe we'll never know.