1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission fluid change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fgoodyear, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was never 100% convinced that WS is necessary for the electrical properties, but I have yet to see a good UOA for any other product. Bob Wilson ran AMSOil ATF in a Gen 1 Prius and got a bad result (high Cu).

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Question is where the copper comes from. edthefox5 thinks that it's not from the windings, and only affects gen 1:

Personally I still won't risk it. :)

3. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As my engineer turned CEO control freak former boss used to say: "Show me the data". :madgrin:

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I thought all us engineers were control freeks?

5. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Some more than others. :madgrin:

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most of the foreign ones too.:D

7. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

That's for sure, it is quite a skill to be able to come up with stuff on the run like that, and look completely honest. Also very insulting.

I just checked my new area, different dealer, and they want 11.50 a qt for the WS. Plus tax that's 12.50. I was able to get some for much much less from a private seller who no longer needed. Does it mean anything that the bottlecaps have all been opened? Is WS black? JK as the kids say.

1 person likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Question is where the copper comes from. edthefox5 thinks that it's not from the windings, and only affects gen 1:

I can garantee you its not from the windings as even the tiniest area of raw motor winding exposure to the fluid would quickly result in a blow out. no matter what type of fluid is in there.

There's 200 volts AC across the windings at max there and would immed. flash over with any exposure to the fluid.

Not sure why there's such a fixation on the motor windings.
    There very well protected and there's very few reports of windings blow out. But we still beat it to death.

9. danix

danix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Went to the dealer parts counter and asked for what I needed to do ATF change. Parts guy says you have to talk to service. Service claims you need a scantool to do this job, something about temperature, wants $300 to do the job. Total BS?
    Can I just get 4 quarts of WS and the two washers and be done?

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Enough WS and washers are basically it. For the details, use the search function, there is a real nice write-up on the forum. IIRC, you will also need a funnel and right size tube or a pump and tube.

You learned something about your service and parts people. Too bad it wasn't something good:D

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and yes.

You will also need a plastic funnel with a three-foot long flexible tail; or else a hand-operated pump that screws onto the top of the ATF bottle. I recommend the former instead of the latter.

12. danix

danix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a long discussion thread but no concise howto. If someone has the link handy, please post - but if not, I can figure it out without the writeup.

What I do need is the part number for the drain/fill washers. Not sure if this is a Toyota thing (I am a VW/Audi guy) but the guy at the parts counter insists he cannot look anything up, I have to go talk to the service desk (where there are literally 10-12 service advisers in a circle fielding customers).

I don't suppose there's an online part lookup (the equivalent of VW's ETKA) online huh?

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You need to find a different dealer. I've gone to 3 different dealers (Roseville, Maita, Folsom Lake) in the Sac area and none of the parts departments tried that BS. When I bought the washers at Folsom Lake Toyota, the parts guy actually printed out the exploded parts view of the transaxle and gave it to me.

The washer is #90430-18008 for both the drain and fill.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...124-changing-transaxle-oil-10.html#post881573

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Perhaps true with my FJ Cruiser, which doesn't have a dipstick on the auto trans. There is a fill plug on the side of the trans, and an overflow plug on the trans pan

Using either the scantool, or touching two pins on the OBD connector, you shift D-N over and over until the trans is at operating temp

You then fine tune the trans fluid level until it dribbles out the overflow plug

The Prius cvt can be thought of as a manual transmission, there is no torque converter or valve body or clutches or shift solenoids. A drain plug and a fill plug

Always remove the fill plug first

Your dealership is the reason why Toyota reputation is tanking. BTW the dealership I bought my FJ from charges $80 for a transmission service, even on something as complicated as the 5 speed auto in my FJ Cruiser

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's good advice because it's inconvenient when you don't find out your fill plug is frozen in place until after you have drained your transmission.:eek:

It can also be useful to put the fill plug back in finger tight before removing the drain plug if you want it to drain more slowly.

16. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's funny how "Stealerships" always shorten the intervals, claiming it's in our best interest and disregarding what the manufacture suggests.

17. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    From the lab testing we have done a first ATF refresh at 30k miles is a reasonable idea, then every 60k miles thereafter. The metallic content builds up rapidly at first in the ATF and then slows down as the gears "lap in".

Toyota is somewhat optimistic about the lifetime of it's Type WS ATF.

JeffD

Naurill and BAllanJ like this.
  18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Especially in the FJ auto trans!

19. FlyboyTR

FlyboyTR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just wanted to chime in... I did my first tranny drain and fill this afternoon. I did loosen the fill plug first, as suggested. It took between 3.8 - 3.9qts. Total time...about 30 minutes.

Mileage is 77,600. Fluid was dark and there was a layer of fine mush on the magnet. No solids/chunks were noted.

Thanks for a great thread!:rockon:

20. danix

danix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Task completed. I took video which should make for a nice howto/tutorial when I get around to editing.

I went to a different dealer and found a normal parts counter with actual computers, and the parts guy showed me the diagram. Fluid was $10.08/quart, washers were around $3 each I think.

I tried using my manual transmission fill pump (like a plunger) but that failed miserably.
    After wasting a quart on the floor, I used the funnel and tube method just fine, and returned to the bad dealer the next day to get an extra quart, which oddly was cheaper ($8) than at the good dealer.