1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

transmission fluid question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JIM777, Feb 6, 2016.

1. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    2004 Prius. Valvoline makes a ws fluid. Call V max life, with the ws labeling is it ok to use on the transaxle?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would stick with toyota. it's not much more, and you change it so infrequently. how many miles on your car, and has it ever been changed?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    275000 I believe it was changed at 140,000.I already put four quarts in it. It was $20 for the four quarts and it did say WS standard, but was wondering if I was going to have problems down the road? I got it at autozone they said that was what it called for.
    Thanks

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay. the prius transaxle is a bit different from most, so i'll defer to the experts. all the best.(y)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You may just be fine. Still, I open the Owner's Manual, and read stuff like this, in the 2004 Owner's Manual:

Capture.JPG

And then in later Owner's Manual, my 2010 for example:

Capture.JPG

If it was me, I'd buy 12 quarts, do a change, drive for a day, do a change, drive for a day, do a change, chalk it up to experience. But that's just me: lots of folks intentionally use an alternative fluid.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would just use real Toyota ATF WS in 90,000* miles when I did the next change.

* there is no official change interval, so you are free to make up your own. I use 30,000, then 90,000, then every 90,000. The point is to change it every so often to clean out suspended solids.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would not.

From the Valvoline website: http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

"Valvoline has conducted extensive in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in the broadest range of transmissions; however, it should be noted that MaxLife ATF is not a OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife ATF in these applications."

Valvoline claims that this fluid will substitute for Toyota/Lexus Type T, T III, T IV and WS. Not to mention many other ATF specified by other manufacturers.

I have had occasion to use both Toyota ATF T IV and WS because Classic Prius is spec'd with T IV. There is a very noticeable viscosity difference between the two; WS is much thinner. I am highly skeptical of a claim that one fluid can work well in both applications.

If it were really true that one ATF formulation could fully substitute for four Toyota ATFs, then Toyota would have switched to that ATF.

8. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Over a year past since you posted about this. I'm wondering if you kept the MaxLife in your 04? If so, how did your Prius preform? Any averse effects?