1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission/Transaxle Fluid Replacement ?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by TexomaEV, Jun 3, 2010.

1. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick, that's what I thought. Actually I put the whole 5qts into the 03 transaxle a couple months ago, and it has shown absolutely no ill effects, and still getting exactly 50mpg. On another point, I think it helps slightly with cooling as well. But there is such a thing as too much! .5qt over would be too much in my mind.

2. sabercat

sabercat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sometimes too much oil, causes foaming, but that little amount, you would'nt think so.

3. eximage

eximage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm all set to change to WS ATF, now that i've got the pan off, what is recommended to apply onto the gasket prior to sealing it up? I notice that the removed screws show indication of "lock-tite", good idea to apply it on the screws?
    thanks

4. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just coat the cork gasket with a thin film of new ATF on both sides. The bolts have plenty of residual lock-tite on them (and the holes they go into on the tranny). In my opinion you do not need to add any more lock-tite...you'll see when screwing them in they have a quite a bit of resistance already. There is no way they will unscrew by themselves. Important: Do not overtighten the pan bolts! It's easy to break them off. Use a torque wrench if possible, only 67 inch pounds, go around the pan and check torque twice. Some photos here Gen1 Prius Transaxle Service

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I install the gasket dry, and use a little bit of blue Loctite on the bolts.

I agree that you should use a torque wrench and observe the tightening torque to avoid stripping the holes in the transaxle case.

6. wcf

wcf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, just finished reading this very helpful discussion. I'm not mechanically inclined, and have an appointment for my 2002 Prius for its 150K service this Friday at a new-to-me independent shop. The car's actually at a little over 151K miles, and have never had the transmission fluid changed before. Would testing of the used transmission fluid be recommended, and if yes, how would I prepare the sample and ship it - just in a used plastic water bottle? I looked at the R&G site linked by Bob Wilson and feel a little intimidated; it seems designed (understandably) for industrial clients. If I call the lab - would I ask about the standard oil test, and the 40C and 100C viscosity for a Prius transmissioni fluid, or is there a specialized name for the tests? Thanks.