1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transponder key ebay $7.50

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by gringostar, Oct 18, 2014.

1. gringostar

gringostar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

Forgive me if this question has already been answered. I tried to wade through several posts and several comments and am still a bit confused:

So I lost one of my key fobs. I was riding my motorcycle (vespa) and it vibrated off the key ring and now it's God knows where.

If I buy a used transponder key on ebay $7.50 it will work. My question is this:

If I lose my second FOB and only have a transponder, will it be more expensive to replace the fob? My dealer charges $100 for FOB activation.

2. gringostar

gringostar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you should just buy a new key from Amazon for $120 and program it yourself. This is a simple $120 solution and you can rest easy at night.

4. gringostar

gringostar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look. I live alone. I have no wife and I don't even have a girlfriend. Why would I need two SKS fobs when I only really need a backup key? If I can use a transponder as a second key for $7.50 that would make sense. I don't know about you, but I sleep much better with an extra $212.50 in my pocket (SKS $120+programming fee of $100).

So, if anyone knows, I'm just trying to avoid a phone call to the Toyota dealership. If I lose my second SKS FOB and only have a transponder, can I get another SKS FOB for same price?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, you cannot make a SKS key with a Transponder. That's why I said to buy another 2nd key at Amazon for $120 and program it yourself for free. You won't need the transponder for $7.50......if that will even work.

The 2nd key is not for your wife, girlfriend, or significant other.....it's for you. When you lose your 2nd key again. Without this backup FOB, you will end up costing yourself lots of money going to the dealer to get your replacement FOBS. Penny wise......and very foolish

#5 JC91006, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014