1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trickle charger and 12 volt battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by youngnbald, Mar 23, 2013.

1. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have read people stating the 12 volt battery is dead after two years? I have the yellow top battery in my car now and hoped it would last as long as the original battery did. The Prius is a 2001 and the original 12 volt battery was replaced last year. I drive the car daily and my scan gauge shows 13+ volts while driving. The other day a hose ruptured under the inverter and the car is down until parts come in. While it is parked, I hooked up my tickle charger (Battery Tender) and the charger took over an hour to stablize the battery into a tickle charge! I have trickle chargers on my rider mower, 3 four wheelers, an Envoy while it is stored, and a Gold Wing. After driving any of these machines, the trickle charge does not take long to go into a "full charge" status. When I first bought the new battery I used the trickle charger to "full charge" the battery before installing. If the car is charging the battery with every use, why did it take longer to charge with the trickle charger? Longer than any other battery I do this with? Could this be why batteries are dying after two years?

I have not put a meter on the battery and run test. This just came to light and now I can't get measurements until the car is driving again. Thought I would share the experience and see what others think.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The real problem is that Optima makes an incredibly over-priced and unreliable battery... Lots of Opitma failures are going down all around, even with brand new ones. Friends don't let friends buy Optima.

3. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Never heard bad reviews prior to buying the battery. I had no issues with the battery....yet. The options were limited with this special size battery and everything seemed to point to Optima. If I recall, one other battery is the options to replace this battery? I read people installing non-vented batteries and cheating. Bit confused what to use if this battery craps out.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My BatteryMinder is only a few days old but I'm seeing higher voltage readings already. You'd think driving 20000 miles a year would be enough but apparently it isn't. I'm now seeing 13v briefly during the time the Prius is shut down & the ScanGauge turns off. Everyone else raves about them so I figure in the worst case it is like chicken soup in that it won't hurt.

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US Batteries Plus is local most everywhere and they carry lots of battery options...

Also BritPrius on Prius Chat has loads of info on the very best and least expensive batteries that work in the small space.

The confusion is that a Prius 12volt just runs electronics it doesn't run a starter to get the engine running so batteries that run electronics are ideal to use and less expensive to use, but because it's an automobile everybody freaks out and applies rules that aren't relevant to the demands placed on the battery. What's worse because the battery doesn't run a starter it can be a really bad battery for a long time before you start to notice you have a problem.

Meanwhile Optima who had a steller reputation for car batteries that ran car stereos in the 1980-1990's was well positioned to fill this niche market for the Prius in the 2000's. And while the Optima marketing department found success in that effort, the battery maker was purchased by a big corporation that moved the battery factory to a toxic waste site in Mexico where for the past decade they've produce super-cheap super low-quality unreliable batteries that not only look really cool, but they still have a stellar reputation because of the quality they provided in the 80's and 90's. And the profit margins on these Yellowtops are through the roof!

I actually read one post on here of a guy who went to a Prius repair shop for a bad Optima and they showed him a pile of 10 dead Optima batteries that failed.

6. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sucks that people on here bragged up the Optima battery and how to install it. Hopefully I am lucky with the one I have. The car has 240,000 + miles on it and I am still impressed how it is holding up. Most of my pocket change cars have rusted/broke down before 150,000.

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The good news is that the demands this car's puts on 12volt batteries is incredibly minuscule....You could probably get away with a used motorcycle battery, though i wouldn't recommend it.

8. OptimaJim

OptimaJim Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    youngnbald, the really good news is that while PriusCamper's opinion on the price of our batteries is open for debate, the rest of his claims regarding issues with product quality and our production facility are absolutely false. Unfortunately, many of the “bad” batteries returned to us under warranty now are actually just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged. In fact, I have a workbench full of "dead" Optimas that we refer to as “adOptimas,” because we find new homes for them after we recharge them, rather than just sending them off to the smelter.

This is not an issue unique to Optima. In fact, some other manufacturers have dealt with it, by simply voiding the warranty on their batteries, if they are found to be discharged below a minimum voltage level. We didn't do that with our warranty, but we did create this YouTube video, which explains how to recover deeply-discharged batteries.

Have you checked the voltage of your battery directly at the terminals with the engine off?

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    OPTIMA® Batteries (optimabatteries) on Pinterest

cwerdna and usnavystgc like this.
  9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I love it... not only do they sell bad batteries but they resell bad batteries and think saying so will help them promote the quality of their product... LOL... Not sure if you worked for Optima back in '80 and '90s Jim but ya'll were the bees knees when I worked in car stereo installation. Too bad things changed when you got bought out.

10. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the reply Jim. My car is still in the shop waiting for a heater core hose to come in. Once I get the car back I will do further testing of the voltages in different situations. Currently I am driving my Envoy for the last week and have not placed its battery on a trickle charger. When I do, I want to see how long the trickle charger takes to stabilize on the Envoy.

11. OptimaJim

OptimaJim Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    youngnbald, when you do charge the battery on your Envoy, measuring the voltage before charging will give you a good idea of how discharged the battery is when you start charging.

PriusCamper, once again, you are reading something someone posted on the internet and jumping to conclusions. We don't sell adOptima batteries, we give them away. My wife has been running a "dead" YellowTop in her truck for several years now and many of the racers in the Chumpcar World Series are now running adOptimas in their race cars. Even the folks who have been with Optima since the early days will tell you our state of the art production facility, which was built using Six Sigma methodology, is responsible for the best batteries we have ever made. and is ISO/TS-certified 16949 for quality management.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    OPTIMA® Batteries (optimabatteries) on Pinterest

cwerdna likes this.
  12. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I just received the Prius back and it has been sitting for awhile without constant use. My Envoy has been driven for the last week and I have taken voltage reading from each battery. I have also taken the voltage readings from my Goldwing, quads, and the mower. I will post the results when the Prius and Envoy batteries "stabilize" with the trickle chargers.

The quads, motorcycle and lawnmower were all stabilized, but the voltage readings did vary some. More to come.

13. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Took the measurements on each battery and realized the trickle chargers and batteries all respond differently.

Envoy battery: 12.62 volts after driving for one week continuous. Stabilized at 13.04 after trickle charged.
    Prius battery: 12.24 volts after setting for 9 days. Stabilized at 12.92 after trickle charged.
    Goldwing battery: Driven on 300 mile trip 12.58 volts on return. Stabilized at 13.08
    400cc Quad: Stored with trickle charger. Stabilized at 12.45
    250cc Quad: Stored with trickle charger. Stabilized at 13.25
    125cc Quad: Stored with trickle charger. Stabilized at 13.07
    Lawn Mower: Stored with trickle charger. Stabilized at 13.11
    Old Prius battery: (Used for 12 volt winch in garage) Stored with trickle charger. Stabilized at 13.36

My original concern may not be much to worry about now that I looked into it. All my trickle chargers are the 750 ma version. I do have one 1.25 amp and it charges quicker and stabilizes the batteries a bit higher with 13.36 volts.

It is interesting that the altenators do not charge the battery as high as a trickle charger. After driving the motorcycle and Envoy, the batteries were lower than the charge voltage while driving. I did not check the voltage while the trickle chargers were charging a battery. I removed the chargers and then tested the voltage.

After a month or two, I will check my Prius again and see what the battery voltage is. This will be the car used every day and not placed on a trickle charger.
    Learning something everyday.

14. LeeD

LeeD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    This is an old post I'm replying to, but I'm confident that there are people like myself who are searching and finding this information and making decisions based off it.

I want to add some insight and some additional information that I frequently don't see mentioned in these old posts, especially by people with lots of posts.

Key points I want to point out,

A. Your 12V battery has a "power life" to it just like your cell phone.
    The Yellow Optima I bought several months ago is rated at 38 AH (38 Amp Hours, or 38,000mAh)
    The battery I removed (updated from Tech Service bulletin) is 54 AH (54 Amp Hours, or 54,000mAh)
    * The bigger the number, the longer it will run between charge cycles.
    * Although it lasts shorter, it's deep cycle technology is supposed to prevent permanent damage when drained extremely low.

B. The Prius drains more battery juice than you think, when it's off (all doors closed, lights off).

- I measured ~140mA continuous draw when off. That's a lot.
    ~160mA total with a Bluetooth OBDII in the OBDII port. (yours may draw more/less)
    ~240mA total with Bluetooth OBDII & Progressive Insurance Snapshot plugged in.
    ** The Progressive Insurance Snapshot draws a lot of power, even when the car is off.
    * I haven't measured this on a traditional car/truck, but I imagine it's >80% less.
    * I've read that a Gen 2 may be ~40mA, and newer generations ~16mA.

* To put this into another perspective,
    My Google Pixel phone, has ~3,000mAh battery and while the screen is on, drains at ~350mA/hr.
    Doing the math, in ~7.7hrs, my battery will be at ~10%.
    That's fairly accurate.

* For the car with a 38 AH battery,
    IF you start at 12V and IF car won't start below 10V, and IF you drain at ~140mA
    Math says you will hit 10V in ~45hrs (~1 3/4 days idle).
    * 54 AH battery, 10V in ~64hrs (~2 1/2 days idle)

* I've survived parking idle for >3 days before, so just take the above calculations as estimates. Outside temps, battery temps, battery health, and many other factors will effect this.​

C. The Prius charges the 12V Auxiliary battery "slowly". (Because it charges from the HV battery, how fast it charges will depend on the HV battery's SOC, or how charged it is too.)
    - Fast in comparison to a 750mA trickle charger.
    - Slow because it only charges when you drive it.

- When you drive it, it's also drains faster 140mA. I have no idea, but I predict ~ 1-3A.
    - My pixel phone can charge at 3A. Car total is now 3-6A, not 140mA.
    - GPS, radar detector, passenger's phone also running power? You get the idea...

D. In 2001, they didn't build spec the Prius to handle charging modern phones, tablets, phone battery packs, Bluetooth OBD2, GPS, on a daily basis. You risk daily draining your battery faster than it can charge again if you power/charge all those devices.

CONCLUSION:
    - Research AH (Amp/Hours) for batteries when buying them. That tells you how long it will last.

- The problem frequently isn't a bad quality battery, but you/we are using the car well beyond what it was designed for in 2001.
    Because of our devices, we need x2, x3, x4 higher capacity batteries, or x2, x3, x4 larger AH (Amp / hour) 12V batteries and faster 12V charging.​

- If your car needed a jump start once, it will REALLY struggle to charge enough to be full again.

- If you didn't have an Optima battery, then your maximum capacity (Ah) may be damaged. Instead of it being 54 AH, it's now 50AH, then 46AH, then 44AH, etc...

#14 LeeD, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With no accessories drawing power, on our 3rd gen I measured around 18 milliamperes, with sporadic spikes (say every 15 seconds or so) to around 40.

LeeD likes this.
  16. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We purchased a 2003 Prius in September '17. It had a few issues of which I have apparently solved as we have not had any of the old issues return. One of the areas I paid close attention to was the 12V battery voltage. Initially I checked it output @ the battery (post) and used the MFD. Decided to begin testing it @ the fuse boxes (engine compartment) Reading began around 11.98 - 12.02V. I purchased a battery maintainer rated at 1.25 amp charge rate. It can be left on to bring the battery up and maintain full charge level. It took approximately 2 months of monitoring and selecting when and how long to attach the maintainer. Voltage now range between 12.78 - 12 89. Rarely dropping below that range. I have check the 12v @ least once a week but I feel that schedule may now be lengthened. I feel the 12v battery health is key to the vehicle overall operation. I purchased the maintainer from Amazon, but Walmart now sells the same unit. There are adapters/harnesses you can install that will allow you open the trunk and plug the maintainer in w/o gaining access to the battery. If anyone needs additional info, please post. Peace to all.