1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble with car registering gas in tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sarah dunetz, Feb 7, 2013.

1. sarah dunetz

sarah dunetz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone else have issues with either the tank not registering gas after you fill it up or the pump at a gas station thinking the tank is full (and shutting off) when you have only pumped a gallon or two? Both have happened to me me more than once.

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    the pump always shuts off on me early, so what I do is, when pumping gas I pull back the part that goes over
    the neck of the gas tank. This lets air in - be careful when the tank is getting full as gas might come out
    sometimes after the gas pumping goes off, I still can pump at least half to one gallon of gas (probably because the gas tank is the bag)

sarah dunetz likes this.
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does it always happen at the same pump or station? At the Shell station in Delran the pump did not shut off once on my 2006. I try not to use that pump even though it has been 6 years. In Pittsburgh I couldn't get a pump to run.

In Ohio I had a fuel spill on the 2010 when the pump didn't shut off so it isn't just a bladder problem.

Put the pump on the slowest setting and don't use pumps that give you problems.

4. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    it usually happens when the gas is pumping fast

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You should have better results if you fill your Prius with the pump pumping at the slowest setting.

Ron

6. sarah dunetz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't even know there were settings. Go figure! How do you change it?

7. sarah dunetz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    jim n, always same station, but not the same pump.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The gage will not always recognize the fuel added if you only add a gallon or two. According to many post's here on PC, if you were to run out of gas, the gage won't reset until you have added more than three gallons.

Also, if the bladder is very cold and the gage is reading one pip, you may have difficulties refueling as the bladder if fully collapsed (pump shutting off early). It seems that the bladder is easier to refuel if you don't empty it completely (one pip or pip flashing), however that does cause you to have to refuel more often.

Ron

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are notches on the auto fill, use the first notch which will squeeze the handle less.

Ron

10. sarah dunetz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never let it go lower than 1 pip (I generally refuel as soon as it goes from 2 to 1) because I am nurotic. Also, I live in California, so I'm inclined to believe my bladder (of my car) can withstand temps way colder that what I get before it freaks out.

Though, now that I think about it, the guage only ever refuses to register it when I don't fill it up all the way. It tends to happen when I'm at an expensive gas station, and only want to add enough to get me till I have time to get to the cheaper station.

11. sarah dunetz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I had no idea what the notches did.

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I live on the Gulf Coast. When it get's down to 40 degrees, the bladder tends to give me trouble. I note then when it is cold here, I can't put near as much in as I can during the summer. The temperature really does effect the bladder more than one would think.

Also, I refuel as soon as our's hit two pips. If I let it get lower, at times I have a hard time filling back up. Pump tends to shut off early. Most of the problems occur when the temps are below 50 degrees for me.

Ron

13. sarah dunetz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all. I will try pumping at a slower speed, and not waiting so long to fill up.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had problems with the gauge registering only when I had to pump small quantities. If you are pumping only 1 or 2 gallons the gauge won't register the increase at the pump but it may after 3 starts.

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not the gas station. And don't pull the pump out to let air in.

The tank needs to be vented before you can fuel it. Its a flexible bladder held under vacuum. Bladder when car is ON is held tight to fuel not allowing any fumes to escape from fuel. This is part of its ZERO Emissions mission.

Try this: Make sure car is off. Open gas cap. Go inside store and buy a drink. By the time you get out the tank bladder will have vented and relaxed allowing maximum fuel to be loaded.

Fuel at slowest setting. Meaning don't squeeze the handle hard. Squeeze as slightly as you can. First click hang it up.
    Don't top off. On 2 pips showing I can get 8 gallons in almost everytime at first click. Never ever any issue.

dorunron likes this.
  16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree that venting seems to help. Since I started doing that a year ago, I seem to have less problems refueling. Unlike Ed, when I am on two pips I usually can only put in 6.5 to 7 gallons. During the summer though I can get more in. The most I have ever seen go in is 7.64 gallons of fuel @ 2 pips and that is in the summer time. During the winter, it does seem to hold less, usually around 6 to 6.2 gallons @ 2 pips.

I fill my tank as Ed suggests. Vent the tank, fill at slowest setting, and hang the pump up when it clicks off. Only one time did I ever have the tank burp, and that when I was filling fast and tried to add more fuel after the pump kicked off. I learned real fast NOT to top off the Prius.

Ron

edthefox5 likes this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My observations exactly also except I may have exaggerated. I usually get 7.5 ish when I fill up on 2 pips.
    First click off I hang it up and have not had a burp with the accompanied gas soaked shoes in 4 years.