1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to figure out what my MPG should be

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by NargilFenris, Jan 10, 2012.

1. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use B every day
    I have a sharp decent off about 4-5 miles and the B mode does the job of slowing down the car very nicely. It works like putting a 4 gear Automatic in 3

2. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thank everyone for the suggestions on how to improve my mileage but what I was setting out to find was what I should be expecting during this time of year. Which from what people have said I should be seeing in the 40s. Haven't filled up since I started this thread but so far the car is telling my average is 41 so this fill up should be nicely higher than the last when I do my final calculations.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you watching your daily MPG, or each-direction MPG? (Please see the last half of my first reply, which was added after you first read that post.)

4. NargilFenris

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am looking at the average since last fill up. Which is showing around 41 currently but I am waiting to fill up this weekend to calculate my MPG.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have two trip MPG meters. While getting accustomed to this new car, make a habit of resetting one of the them when starting the car each morning, or even each direction of your commute, so you can get faster mpg feedback. This helps to refine your driving habits faster. The MPG reading will start out pitifully low, even single digits, as the car warms up, but this doesn't matter. The number will increase throughout the commute (except maybe during the 75 mph section), and should reach its maximum at your destination. This is the number that matters. And you may find that wind causes one direction of the commute to read much different than the other.

And don't cheat by waiting a minute or two after starting to reset the trip meter. Well, you can, and it will read much better this way, but the results will never be comparable to the readings from truly cold starts.

6. NargilFenris

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok did my refill and we averaged about 41 mpg. Also we noticed we were looking at the avg MPH by mistake instead of the avg consumption.

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I routinely drive the Kansas Turnpike well below 75 mph and have yet to be run over or even threatened. Try 74 mph, and if you survive, consider trying 73 mph, and so on. I would be disappointed with less than 60 mpg on your commute in summer and less than 55 mpg in winter. (Exception = head winds) Never tailgate, but find a slower truck to pace well behind, then traffic accepts you better since it is ok for a truck to go slow. :(

My trips from Wichita to Lawrence (usually through Ottawa) tend to net 55 to 59 mpg, but have been in low 40's versus a 30+ mph headwind.

Save B mode for descending from the Eisenhower Tunnel.

8. NargilFenris

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Reset the trip B this morning and averaged at 38. Should see better when leaving work if the temps rise. Still need a warmer day so I can cut the rest of the foam for the lower grill.
    @Ksstathead no matter which direction I am going it always seems to be a head wind, or a front corner. My wife did manage to catch a good tail wind one day, lucky her. Which is my wifes PT Cruiser suffered out here, we got 30+ in Michigan and the best we ever got here was 25.

9. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, my wife & I joke that we will take vacations based on wind direction, always taking the road with a tail wind.