1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured (TTC) 2016 Chevrolet Volt Review

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Link Here

2016 Chevrolet Volt (Chevy) Review, Ratings, Specs, Prices, and Photos - The Car Connection

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not sure about the side creases or the rear end slope.:cool:

Brianb913 likes this.
  3. Brianb913

Brianb913 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Funny enough, I don't like the big dent in the side doors, which is the same complaint I had for the gen 4 Prius and it's rear door/quaterpanel dent. The huge chrome grills are another thing I don't like about it, but I can change that on my own.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The shiny grill thing is Chevy's trademark for an EV, like the grill on the Spark EV. We'll see if the Bolt has the grill when it's released.

5. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The volt 2 looks dated before it has even been released. Like a few-year old Civic.

time has not been kind to volt 1, at all

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Dated or classic, to my eyes it looks a whole lot better than the mirai inspired gen IV prius, the leaf, the i3, etc. Yes it looks ordinary and a lot like a civic, but that is versus different and IMHO often bad.

The model S and i8 look good, that would be better, but maybe ordinary isn't so bad. The interior of the gen II volt is much improved. The car will probably get confused in parking lots for civics and cruzes. To me that is not a bad thing. GM made the pontiac aztek which has stood the test of time as a ugly car. No one is going to say that about a civic or cruze or volt.

To me the Lexus CT200h looks a lot better than the new mirai, but then again it has a good resemblance to the mazda 3, not a bad looking car itself, but much less expensive.

Any agree, the volt looks ordinary. Don't agree that is a bad thing.

Ursamajor likes this.
  7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The fact that we are on PriusChat implies that most of us don't put first priority on car looks (subjectively). GM's problem is still going to be trust, reliability and Cost/TCO as it relates to this type of vehicle...based on their history. I could live with the Volt's looks, but Prius (at this time) still wins when I run the formula as it applies to my useage.

8. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the Volt looks great. But the shiny grills looks cheap.
    I would change it in the aftermarket for something more sophisticated.

[​IMG]

9. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd like to consider a Volt 2 as a competitive option against the Prius Gen IV. But I can't. The price is too high, no spare (deal breaker for me), and cargo space at 10.6 Cu Ft is too small. We can't take advantage of the tax breaks. Otherwise it would be great to drive in EV mode much of the time.

#9 jdonalds, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Plasti-Dip is your friend.

IRRC, the current Volt has 18cu.ft. to the Prius 22 of seats up cargo.
    A lease will let you take advantage of the tax credit.

11. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    A very positive review, like all the others that I've seen. The first 2016 Volts are now leaving the factory and should be delivered to customers within the next 2 weeks.

One nitpick in the review... "There are no fixed gear ratios". This is false.

Like the Prius, the larger of the electric motors drives the car when the gas engine is off using a fixed gear. The 2016 Volt can also add-in the smaller motor using a fixed (but slightly different) gear ratio when it needs extra power or when it is more efficient. Finally, when the gas engine is running there is a truly parallel gas engine fixed gear ratio mode which allows the engine to directly drive the wheels at speeds above 30-ish mph with an assist or with regenerative braking from the larger electric motor (also using a fixed gear ratio).

So, one motor or two motor EV, city or highway eCVT, and a fixed ratio parallel gas engine mode for a total of 5 operating modes although the two EV modes and the city eCVT mode with the gas engine all share the same active clutch setting. Incidentally, that clutch position setting makes the 2016 Volt and 2015 Prius transmissions mechanically identical except for the roles of the ring and planetary carrier being swapped on the first planetary gear set and a passive one-way clutch being added to the engine to enable dual motor EV use. Of these 5 propulsion modes, 3 of them use fixed gear ratios.

12. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    When I look up the Volt cargo space I see 10.6 cu ft seats up on the 2015 model. Does the 18 cu ft number come from cargo space with the seats down?

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You are looking at GM's spec, and it is only to the beltline of the car. That's how much space you have if you don't want to block the view out the rear window.
    The 18cu.ft. and 22 for the Prius comes from the EPA, and is to the ceiling.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cubic inches and feet don't tell the whole story.

15. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Say some more please.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's the shape of the hatch that matters. the opening, the floor height, the width, the wheel wells, the folding seats. there's a lot that goes into the engineering, but some companies add space in nooks and crannies or ceiling height that aren't usable, so their specs will look good. you have to see it and try it for yourself.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    True, which is why the Insight2 is likely a better choice for many needing to haul some stuff than a Prius c. They are both around the smae size, but the Honda has a longer cargo floor, where the Toyota has the space vertically.

18. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Saw the Volt 2 in person yesterday. Very disappointed to the lack of interior room. The rear seat barely fits my wife. She's only 5'3 105lb. I don't see anyone taller than 5'7 to fit in the back seat. The front seats also feel crammed. The Kia Soul had more room passenger room than the volt.
    The glove box's floor is flat like the Gen III's top box. When you accelerate, everything will shift to the glovebox door. When you open the glove box, everything will fall to the cracks between the glove box and the glove box door. You'll have to put them back in place before you can close the door. I have this problem with the top box of my Prius. That's why I don't put pens or anything that can roll or shift during acceleration in the top box.
    I want to love the volt 2 b/c I had originally wanted to buy it to replace my Prius. Now I'm not so sure. EV range is not everything. The exterior footprint is larger than my Prius but the interior is just too small.
    I guess I'll have to wait for either the Prius Plugin or the Sonata Plugin.

jdonalds likes this.