1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn my Black Prius into a Silver Pine Mica!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by McDonald, Jun 24, 2008.

1. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So, here's the deal. When I bought my Prius, I debated between Black and Silver Pine Mica. I went with the black, but have regretted it. I want that Silver Pine Mica! I love the car itself and think it'd be a hassle to trade in for a SPM (mine's a 2008), and think that'd it be better to just get it re-painted, maybe in a little while.

But how easy will it be to find the SPM color? Is there a code for it, will an auto body/paint shop be able to get this color, or can a Toyota dealership refer me to somebody who can do this? Also, with time, will it be harder to get this color? I wish I could wait till the trade in, but knowing that Silver Pine Mica is not an option, and not knowing what the options are, I may not want to wait!

HALP!

2. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A reputable body shop should be able to get the color. I think that it will cost you a pretty penny. Have you thought about trying to sell yours and buy the color you want? Right now you could probably make a profit from the sale. The only downside is that you would probably have to wait for the Silver Pine mica, but to my understanding, that color isn't very popular. To each his own.

3. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You should be able to find the codes somewhere. In fact many of the higher end paint shops should have the code for it. Just keep in mind a aftermarket paint job is never as good as an original baked on job. Okay, you can exceed the quality (particularly since the factory does have orange peel), but it's a lot of coin to do so... so just keep that in mind.

Mike

4. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I may talk to the dealer about getting trading in somehow. You think they would offer me a better price because they need them to sell, new or used!

5. lwnboy

lwnboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd rather have orange peel than bodyshop paint anyday. I can't remember any paint I've had done that was better than the factory.

6. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah I do like the factory paint a lot. I don't know how to take care of a re-paint, and I don't even want to hear the numbers about how much it would cost to paint well.

I have decided (yes, just now) I am definitely going to go to the dealer and ask what they can do about taking my car (a 2008 package 2 with 2000 miles, in perfect condition), and how long the wait and the dollar difference for a silver pine mica, same package. I would love a straight swap, but I paid less than MSRP.

7. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I would go talk to the dealer, but I don't know what kind of deal he will give you. You might try and sale it yourself, I don't think the dealer is going to give you a even trade. Let us know what happens.

8. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You can bet that the dealer will make you an offer that will make them a profit on both your present car and your replacement.

9. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Called the dealer. He said that I would have to put a $500 deposit down now for the 2009 Prius in SPM, and that 3-4 mos down the road and a week before my car would come in, he would have an appraiser give me the value of my car. We would do the trade, and I would know how much I have to pay them. I know that the monetary value of my car is not as high as the market value, but I'm not sure if I can argue that to get me a better trade, besides I don't know what the cost of the 2009 SPM is going to be. I think I will do it though.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At the rate Prii are going I'd bet you could order a silver pine mica and then sell your black for almost what you paid for it. Because of the long waits used Prii are going for higher than the average used car. You might look into that.

I don't recommend repainting the entire car.

11. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think I will do the trade-in because I don't know all the paperwork, etc. of how to sell a car. and I don't want to be without a car for 4 months.

12. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do NOT change the factory color on your car! In order to do it correctly, it will cost a small fortune. Inspect your car and find all the body parts on your car that are currently painted black. Now imagine the work involved to paint all of it SPM. Anything less than that will look like hell and hurt the value.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the OP has already decided to do a trade-in, which make sense given her desire to have a SPM color.

It would probably cost ~$5K for a quality paint job that includes removing all body trim and the glass, and painting the door jambs and the hatch opening. However the engine compartment area would still be black since the powertrain would not be removed at that price.

If an owner was going to spend that amount of money on a repaint, it seems to me that a custom color would be better than a standard factory color (since that provides tangible evidence that money had been spent...)

14. lwnboy

lwnboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was under the impression that SPM wasn't going to be available next year. I'll bet $5,000 wouldn't even cover the cost of a repaint.

15. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you get it painted at a reputable body shop they will do it really nice.

and not only that you can choose your own color and have pearl and such it should cost below 3000.

materials in general to repaint an entire car would be about 600 max for high quality stuff

16. LittlePinkSequin

LittlePinkSequin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You won't get an even swap - your car is used. And even though there's a high demand for Prii, they're not hurting for business, so it will come down to how much you want to spend/lose to get SPM. (Ironically, I just got a call from my salesperson saying they had a Prius in... SPM, package #6. I declined, as I don't want either. Call Round Rock Toyota in Texas if you're interested. Maybe it's still available.)

17. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can anyone confirm/deny if SPM is available on the 2009 model? I thought there were no changes made! I would have assumed that meant color too.

And I wasn't saying I should get an EVEN swap, I just want a FAIR trade.

I want a Package 2, don't need the NAV and I don't buy anything leather.

18. LittlePinkSequin

LittlePinkSequin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just responding to your post when you said you'd like a 'straight swap.' Either way, I'm sure you'll get what you want eventually. I do think your best bet is to sell it - ideally for more than you paid.

19. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ah, I meant a "straight swap" instead of selling my car now and purchasing another further down the road. Yes, I would probably be able to save more money that way, but like I said before I don't know the details of how to sell a car.

20. Prius4ever

Prius4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You're not going to like my opinion. Personally, I think you should learn to like it. How bad can it be? Start thinking good thoughts about the black exterior like how it makes the car look more elegant or lots of people love their black Prii. Or ask yourself, why have some people posted saying the SPM isn't that popular of a color?

Sometimes I think it's all a head game. We second guess our choices or think the grass (or color) is always greener. (Well, I guess in your case, the color will be greener.) Nonetheless, I know a long time ago I bought a car, okay, I confess a SUBURBAN (gasp! I hate to admit that now) with black interior. As I was driving home, I realized I HATED the black interior. What did I do? I just dealt with it and then next made certain I really knew what I wanted. Time goes by quickly.

And now look ...I have a PRIUS...I car I would love regardless of the color as long as I get the MPG and am not polluting our planet.!!!!!!!:p