1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn my Black Prius into a Silver Pine Mica!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by McDonald, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Carlos' ears are probably burning!

Old guys like me are in danger of acting like fathers and wanting him to get a better job and marry you! But I am also old enough to know that as long as you two are happy thats all that matters!

2. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ha, we hope to get married! But we're smart enough to know not to rush things, and we'd like to both graduate (me from grad school, him from trade school), get a steady job in the same city, and then marry and buy a house. He enjoys being a bike messenger for now, it's actually good money and a lot of fun for him. But he is getting into carpentry, and hopes to work as one. We've been together for a while, we live together, and he has been very supportive of me (I have Lupus) and I couldn't ask for more. So yes, we are happy no matter what our status is for now!

3. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh, say can you Prii, by the dawn's early light?
    What so proudly we snailed, pulse and gliding instead of speeding?
    Whose big mile per gallon makes it a dream car, to the SUV's spite,
    O'er the fill-ups we botched, were so gallantly redeeming!
    And the brake light's red glare, the gas stations evaporating in air,
    Gave proof through the night, that our Prius makes us aware!
    Oh, say does that hybrid car rule the road it paves,
    O'er the dealership of the Prii, and the planet we save!

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you can do it so it doesn't cost you a whole lot of money (I wouldn't do it unless it cost me nothing) why not?

However, Godiva is right. You're only 21 years old, you'll learn that what you think you want forever now isn't what you'll want forever. There will be new technologies out there, cars will get better, safer, and you'll want to replace that Prius with something else at some point. At some point, it'll be a gas guzzler if things keep on this way.

So, think about that before you soak too much money into it. You paid cash for it which is an unbelievable achievement for someone your age so you've obviously got the means, but think about it.

5. Prius4ever

Prius4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You my dear, are a very talented woman! That is sooo great!

Whatever you decide to do with your car, I hope you never leave us here at P.C. And don't forget to update us on how things are going...

6. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you! I will be sure to stick around, I like it here.

On a side note, sweeping generalizations about age? I thought you guys would know better than that.

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm only 6 years older than you myself. I'm never one to make sweeping generalizations about age, but its true. I'm not talking about your boyfriend because thats not neccisarily true, but the car deal is true. You may think you'll want this car forever, but your needs as well as technology will change.

The car is great, but its just a thing. You can't let your desire to have a thing be a certain way let you make poor life decisions (like putting $10k into a plug in conversion, or paying $5k to paint it a certain color which would ruin its resale value, or losing a ton of money on a trade because you decided the color wasn't for you). Just an opinion, take it or leave it.

Put that $15k in an IRA and you'll thank me when you turn 65.

8. davidhol

davidhol New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Considering the huge demand for the 2008 Prius, might you be better off selling the black model and buying the SPM? A good paint job is pricey if done right. You're right to want the SPM though. We bought ours a few weeks ago and love it!

9. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You could never have too much tats!!!! I Love tattoos! One day I will be covered.

10. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I would hate to lose you as a member of the Cool Chicks with Black Pri 's and Black Chi's club.

I have a little girl named "Baby" Black Chi, 3.8 lbs, 19 months old, and also a rescue. She has super long legs and loves to run (how did you go about the agility training?). Chi's look great in Pri's.

I think you would do great to sell it outright and get the color you want. Just take your time and don't put too many miles on it.

Enjoyed you pictures.

11. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you owe no money on the car then you just put the money into your account. Uh if you have enough to just pay cash for a Prius why are you asking us? Ha Ha!

12. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a much better option then repainting. The only way I would repaint is
    1. Accident and needs painted
    2. You want a color that they don't make such as Yellow or Orange.

Perhaps and maybe this is just a perhaps there is someone on the board that is in the same situation as you and wants black and is stuck with a SPM and wouldn't mind trading. Maybe even a three way trade is possible.
    Someone might have the SPM but wishes they had a blue one and the blue guy might want black. Everyone wins. Just my thoughts.