1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn Signal Hazard Rear Camera Activation mod

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cproaudio, Jul 22, 2014.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Please include the following info in the comment when ordering
    email address
    year
    make
    model
    trim level
    radio model # on the faceplate
    I need this info so I can send you the instruction before you receive your modules
    If you have any questions before ordering, you can email me at [email protected]

To order Please visit Toyota Prius Turn Signal / Hazard Rear Camera Activation Kit w/ Navigation Override - All Models - PriusChat Shop

For SLO1 Please visit this page Support Thread for Speed Lock Override sold in the PC Shop | PriusChat

This is the support thread for the Turn Signal Hazard Rear Camera Activation mod in PriusChat Shop.
    Since I can't modify the PriusChat Shop's product page, the info there may be outdated. This thread has all the latest information.
    Shipping
    These kits are made to order. Regardless of what shipping method you choose, the kit may take up to 2 weeks before it gets sent out and with the same shipping method.
    Features
    • Activates rear camera with preselected turn signal only, Hazard only or with both. Prototype version is turn signal trigger only.
    • Can also activate rear camera while driving.
    • Can be switched off for normal operation.
    • Works with SLO1 to stop the GPS position from traveling backwards while the rear camera is activated by the TSHRCA. This feature is included on TSHRCA+SLO1
    FYI
    What does this mod do?
    This mod activates the rear camera with turn signal of either directions and/or with hazard lights while driving.

Why is this mod on the market?
    With this mod, your passenger will be able to check for blind spots for you as well. Some people like to drive with rear camera on. It's a bitch to go into the service menu just to enable the rear camera image. Rear camera can help you determine if your nice person has cleared the garage door so you don't close the garage door on that beautiful black rear spoiler or the bumper.

How does this mod work?
    TSHRCA converts the pulse signal from the turn signal into a constant signal. The signal is then feed directly into the head unit. The head unit then sends out the power to activates the rear camera and display the rear camera image.

FAQ
    Why is there no installation instructions in the package I received?
    Please contact me for installation instructions. I include my contact email instead of installation instructions for these reasons. I don't know what vehicle you're going to install it in. I am always updating the installation instructions. I don't want to send you an outdated instructions in the packet. I email out the instructions because I don't want to waste paper and ink. The diagram is pretty self explanatory.
    Starting in April 2015, new and recent customers who purchased the SLO1, TSHRCA+SLO1 or TSHRCA will have access to user updatable installation instruction. If you can make the instruction easier to understand and/or with better pictures, you can update it. If you haven't installed your kit, contact me for the latest instruction.
    It is Imperative that you contact me for the latest installation instructions once you've received your kit.

Is this mod safe to use? yes, I am using this mod for over 3 years now.

Will this mod activate the reverse beep, reverse lights and the "R" on the dashboard? NO, This mod only affects the head unit.

I have automatic parking. Will this mod affect my IPA? No, I have parking assist on my own Prius too and this mod does not affect IPA in anyway. It works as usual for both parallel parking and back in parking. NOTE: If you turn on the rear camera and activate the parking assist while in "D" the moment the car creeps forward, IPA cancels immediately, no harm done.

Will the image flick between the rear camera image and the regular image? NO, the mod converts the pulse signal into constant signal.

Can I use this mod on aftermarket radios? YES, As long as the rear camera gets power independently from the reverse bulb wire.

Can I use this mod in conjunction with SLO1? Yes, this mod has an active output where you can use it to trigger SLO1. You can also use the active output to power the aftermarket rear camera.

Can I change the trigger setting myself? You can but warranty will be void because the wrong jumper combination will fry the circuit. The jumpers are heat shrinked shut. In order to change the trigger setting, You have to cut the heat shrink that covers the jumpers.

Known Issues

Affects on GPS navigation.
    Since the radio is receiving the "Reverse" signal, the GPS position will travel in reverse. For TSHRCA, if you leave the rear camera on for 1 mile, you will be 2 miles out of position. For TSHRCA+SLO1, you will only be 1 mile out of position due to the module automatically stops the GPS position. The standalone TSHRCA has an active output that can be connected to the optional SLO1 to offer the same GPS stop as the TSHRCA+SLO1. When TSHRCA is deactivated manually or automatically, the GPS position will be restored. This usually takes about a few seconds.

Turn Signal Trigger Only Mode. Although most people prefer turn signal and hazard trigger, I'm one of the few who prefer turn signal trigger only. In this trigger mode only, when hazard lights are activated and deactivated, the screen may black out and the reverse camera may activate for a fraction of a second.
    General user answer, One side of the TSHRCA turn signal circuit may latch longer than another side. When this happens, it becomes turn signal trigger and therefore will send a reverse signal to the nav screen for a brief second.
    Installer answer, TSHRCA uses 2 sets of capacitors to store electrical energy from the turn signal. One set for each side. When the turn signal bulb is on during hazard light flash, the power from the bulb wire charges the capacitor and energizes the relay. When the bulb is off during flash, the capacitor releases that stored energy to keep the relay energized. The length of the relay being energized while the bulb is off is longer than the duration of the bulb being off. This in turn converts the turn signal pulse into latched signal. When the hazard light is switched off, one side will latch longer than the other. When this happens, it's no longer a hazard light input. It becomes turn signal input. For that last brief moment, the circuit will send the reverse signal to the radio and activate the rear camera.
    Engineer Answer, Capacitors have slight capacitance variation even though they are rated the same. Relay coils also use slightly different wattage even though they are rated the same. This is due to the slight tolerance in manufacturing process and quality control. This means that although the capacitors are rated at 1000uf and the relays are .36watts, they may be 950uf capacitors or 1050uf capacitors. Some relays may need .35 watts of power while others may need .37 watts of power. This is still within manufacturing spec and will pass quality control. When randomly combined, a 1000uf capacitor with 1050uf capacitance matched to a relay with coil power consumption of .35w will latch longer than a 1000uf capacitor with 950uf capacitance matched to a relay with coil power consumption of .37w. This is what cause one side of the turn signal to latch longer than the other side. When this happens, the side that latches the longest, will trigger the reverse camera because it is no longer in hazard light mode.

#1 cproaudio, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

#2 cproaudio, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    James Powers likes this.
  3. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How long does it take to install this mod? About 1-5 hours depending on your experience.
    dsmithut wrote guide for his 2014 Prius. It should also work on 2010-2015 Prius
    Installation of Speed Lock Override and Turn Signal Hazard Rear Camera Activation on 2014 Prius
    (11/12/14) Please read the new turn signal wire location below before starting installation.

Pre-installation prep. The hardest part is probably locating the turn signal wires. Before starting the installation, locate the turn signal wires first.

New Update: Currently for Gen III, the easiest place to access the turn signal wires is at the ECU behind the left lower dash panel. Thanks to Philatc's post and OE_Plus.co's write up here Please read their posts to locate the turn signal wires.

Alternatively you can also access the turn signal wires at each kick panels, the flasher or if all else fails, you can access the turn signal wires at each tail lights.
    For ECU access, flasher access, Route the green and yellow wires to each location.
    For kick panel access, you'll need to separate the green wire from the wire loom so you can route it to the passenger kick panel during installation.
    For tail light access, extend the green and the yellow wires to the back of the vehicle.

If for some reason, the wires are not long enough, you can extend the wires yourself. This includes the switch harness. If you need to extend the switch harness, extend the wires at each switch, not at the big wire loom. Please make sure that the wires do not cross during the process. Same goes for the radio harness.
    1. Remove the lower cigarette lighter panel, hook up power behind the lower cigarette light panel. The module will also be placed there.
    2. remove the radio and route the input/output wires to behind the radio and make connections there.
    3. Remove the driver side dash and route the switch/turn signal harness to left dash
    4. Route turn signal wires to ECU and T-Tap the turn signal wires. Alternative turn signal wires can also be located at the flasher or at the left and right kick panels. If all else failed, you can also catch the turn signal wires at the bulb harness at the tail lights.
    5. Install the switch in one of available blank fillers.
    Mounting the switches.
    TSHRCA+SLO1 uses 2 switches. Follow this post to fit both into 1 blank. Support Thread for Speed Lock Override sold in the PC Shop | Page 10 | PriusChat
    How to use TSHRCA
    The switch that controls the TSHRCA is a 3 positon switch.
    I position - Auto. Turn signal activated.
    O position - All Off. Works as OEM.
    II position - ON. Manually turns the rear camera on.
    TSHRCA+SLO1 - When the rear camera is activated via Auto or ON, the SLO1 is also activated and the switch LED lights up. This is to prevent the GPS position from traveling backwards.
    Please note that some switches may be backwards where the I position is ON and II is Auto. The functions are still the same.

Troubleshooting
    It doesn't work - Each unit has been bench tested before shipping. There are 2 most common mistakes people make when installing the unit.
    1, faulty T-Tap installation. There are 2 types of faulty T-Tap.
    A, Bent T-Tap terminal. After cripping the T-Taps, the terminal may became bent. When this happens, the T-Tap terminal will not get inserted into the T-Tap. Therefore no connection is made. Bend it back to the center and re-insert the terminal into the T-Tap.
    B, T-Tap did not cut through the insulation. After locking the T-Tap on to the wire, the T-Tap blade did not penetrate the insulation. You can remove the T-Tap and close the blade gap and reapply.
    2, Reverse polarity hook up. On some Gen III Prius, the positive wire on the cigarette lighter is black and the ground wire is white/black stripe. You may have hooked up the ground wire of the unit to the positive wire and the ground wire of the unit to negative wire on the cigarette lighter. The unit has an internal diode to prevent damage if the polarity is reversed. Correct the polarity and check again.
    To check if the unit is receiving power, check the red wire going into the unit and also on the switch for 12V+. If there's power going into the unit but not at the switch, the unit may have been damaged during shipping. Contact me

TSHRCA and SLO1+TSHRCA wiring diagrams.

Attached Files:

#3 cproaudio, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  4. Plus IV

Plus IV LowGen4

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm very interested.

PlusIV

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a good idea, but I'd like to figure out how to mount two blind-spot cameras first, activated by the turn signals.

6. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Greg, This is only for those with 1 camera in the rear. This will not work for you as you have cameras in the front and RHS mirror. What you need is a multi-camera switcher. I do have one as described in your front camera thread. I am installing 6 cameras in an Extended Econoline E350. I'm still 3D printing the camera housing to mount under the side mirrors. It'll probably be a month before it's done.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you already told me that both cameras could be tied into the same video input as the rear, and it was only the power to it that switched each camera on. For example, when the right turn signal switch is on, it supplies power to the right camera. Only one camera is powered up at any given time.

8. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just to let everyone know that TSHRCA and TSHRCA+SLO1 is available here

9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My front and side cameras are combined into one input, and I switch power to turn each of them on, but they are tied into the "VTR" input, which is separate from the backup camera circuit. Ideally, they should be combined with the backup camera, so that any of the three could be selected, but I haven't done enough research to know for sure if it can be done by switching power alone, or if a video switcher is required.

10. cheizy

cheizy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow this sounds awesome, waiting for some real world reviews before I bite the bullet!

11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm still waiting for a simple solution, where I can switch on any of my cameras, and see it displayed on the screen, the way the backup camera does.

I need to find out if the backup camera screen is simply triggered by the power of the back-up light circuit alone, or if it's programmed to activate when the car is actually reversing. If it's simply switched through power, I can add any number of cameras to the circuit, and simply control them by switching power.

Hopefully someone will know the answer.

12. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  13. Mainer

Mainer Mainer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

14. Mainer

Mainer Mainer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have purchased the unit and am having installation problems. I have a 2014 Prius version 4. The wiring harness wires for connection to the power socket in the center console tray are too short if try to install to wires from the harness behind the radio and if I connect the harness in the opening where the power plug is located, I cannot find an opening to feed the harness up to the radio for connection. Any suggestions? I am concerned which plug I make the connections to on the radio. Is the correct plug the 26 white plug? Help!
    TIA
    Bill

15. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The unit sits behind the lower cigarette lighter panel. There, you can access power and ground from cigarette lighter. The radio wires should be long enough to reach behind the radio. The switch harness should be long enough to reach blanks on the left of steering wheel. It's 28 pin white plug.

#15 cproaudio, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  16. dsmithut

dsmithut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,
    I'm trying to install the TSHRCA + SLO1. I'm trying to find the left and right turn signal wires. I think I've found a photo showing the yellow wire on the driver's side kick panel. Not sure where to find the green for the right. It isn't long enough to route to the right side of the car. Can anybody help me find these wires?

17. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can tell you where they are on the 2010 - maybe they're the same on the 14. On the ECU, right above the big thick white cable (looks like a big Ethernet connector) is connector 2C. There's a lower clump of wires an upper clump. On the upper clump, the bottom of the center column is the yellow #17 wire to connect to. In that same upper clump on the left side, midway down (four wires above and four wires below) is the green #36 wire to connect to. Hope this of assistance.

18. dsmithut

dsmithut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  19. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know if it have something to do with you but order on 10.30 and still says"
    Awaiting Shipment"

20. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pm me with your order info all orders have been shipped.