1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turning off ABS Light - Gen I Prius (2003)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GenIFTW, Jun 11, 2014.

1. GenIFTW

GenIFTW New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I

I am in the process of fixing a few things on my Gen I prius. I was wondering how I might go about temporarily disconnecting the ABS light on the dashboard? I noticed under the plastic cover there is a cable running to the dash display (speedo, odo etc), I assume one of which lights the abs light? Where could I find which one this is?

I have tried the OBDII connector pins 4&13 connect trick to clear the codes, but it didnt work. There is a problem with one of the sensors. I only need to disconnect this light temporarily, essentially to decrease fees that I will otherwise have to pay when I take it to and from the shop to get this fixed.

Any help is very much appreciated.

2. GenIFTW

GenIFTW New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Further info: When in diagnostic mode with OBDII pins 4 and 13 connected, the abs light blinks in a pattern of three blinks, then a pause before one blink i.e. 3,1,3,1,3,1. Anyone able to help me interpret this?

Also, the ((!)) Brake light is only on when the foot brake is on as you would expect. It does not remain on.

3. GenIFTW

GenIFTW New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    #3 GenIFTW, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I seriously advise against driving the car in that condition.
    If one wheel speed sensor is bad and you have to make a sudden stop, the ABS might go berserk and throw you into a spin.
    If cash really is tight, maybe you can forgo some other repairs and get this fixed.
    It is REALLY important........or could be.

5. GenIFTW

GenIFTW New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I will be getting this fixed and can afford it, this is just a temporary fix. Also my understanding is (from the net and toyota dealership) that the ABS is completely disabled if this light is on.

I tested doing an emergency stop on a sufficiently wide/long road with no other cars around to the point of the wheels locking to see how the brakes would function in an emergency situation. I do not believe the ABS is currently active but I am no expert, and I know that this test and the conditions will not necessarily mean it is in the condition to currently make an emergency stop. I know the ABS being functional is very important.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative, but I know the car is in a dangerous condition and am more just trying to figure out if I can snip the abs light cable for a short while (and then reconnect it) to disable this light.

#5 GenIFTW, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  6. mtbiker53

mtbiker53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You would be correct,ABS is disabled,brakes still work,I drove foe 40 yrs. w/o abs and survived [well,might have rear-ended a couple cars,ha] .Pay attention and leave room in front,you'll be fine.Shouldn't snow for a while,that's when I really want it.
    Oh ya,piece of tape over the light.

steve