1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two year payback on hybrids?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Nov 22, 2012.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Road Warrior: From 1981 thru 2011 I never lived and worked in the same state. Typically during that period I'd drive 35000-45000 miles annually.

After Katrina when gas prices really spiked to 'unheardof' levels I decided to trade in the reliable comfortable 4-banger Camrys that I'd been driving since 1989 for a new 2005 Gen 2 which will be 7 yrs old tomorrow.

230,000 miles later there is no comparison with any other choice I could have made*. At the time the new vehicle choices I had were another Camry, a Matrix ( non-hybrid Prius ), Mazda3 Hatch or much smaller sedans such as a Corolla or a Civic. Given the miles I drive I was NOT going to downsize.

Over the last 230,000 miles I estimate that I've saved 1.3 gallons for every 100 miles driven as compared to my primary choices. At an average cost of ~$3.25 in this area....that's just under $10000 still in my pocket not in some oil company's cash reserves.

*I definitely gave up some comfort and quietness with the Prius vs the Camry's but I gained the flexibility of the hatchback. But I also gained much more safety features, lower maintenance ( original brakes ), the still-cool Smart Key and unbeknownst to me at the time a much better sound system (for me) when I added a Kenwood unit to replace the factory unit.

The Matrix and Mazda3 Hatch were even less fuel efficient than the Camry.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now however I'd choose differently. There is a key option that wasn't available to me in 2005 but which is widely available now. It kills nearly all the purported comparo's with less-expensive vehicles.

Today I'd buy a USED Prius. I'd choose a 2-4 y.o. Prius over almost any other option. I know from my own experiences, other owners I've known as well as the experiences reported herein that I can get the best of all worlds with a Pre-Owned vehicle, i.e. low price, unquestioned reliability, exceptional fuel economy, lowest maintenance, safety features, size, Smart Key and level of technology far above the typical vehicle of 2012.

Corwyn and bwilson4web like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You brought up two things I did not include in my spreadsheet model:
    • lower maintenance - the absence of brake jobs
    • accelerated depreciation - I used 10% of the previous year value. In reality there are step functions at years 4, 7, and 9, the boundaries of the Toyota warrantees. I agree that the best value is after the 3/36000 mi warranty has expired.

Bob Wilson

3. keemosobby

keemosobby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    wow, interesting story Mike. Enjoyed it. Thank you.

I have an 08 prius and just love it. Like you I bought it for a big set of complex reasons. Just dont have the time to list them all here. :sleep:

But dont you miss the porsche on the curlies? (I'll always miss my 1999 miata. Maybe I should get a porsche for the summer, nah, won't use it enough :))

Take care,

-keemo (58 retired)

4. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought a Prius when I realized I was spending up to $600 a month using my truck as a daily driver.

$7200 a year for fuel is crazy.

Now I fill up the truck once a month at $130, saving $5640 a year.

This November our Gen II will have paid for itself in saved diesel fuel.

November will be 2 years. ;)

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you had been driving a hummer with two flat tyres, you would be truly ecstatic now.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your signature shows two Prius:
    • 46.0 MPG - 2008 Prius
    • 54.1 MPG - 2012 Prius
    Any thoughts about why the difference?

Bob Wilson

7. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wife drives 2008.

I drive 2012.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nice!

I was guessing the reverse, from towing your truck around ;)

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I sympathize although it could be route vs driver. There are pathological routes and trips that make it impossible to get reasonable MPG but 46 MPG does seem a little low. However, my wife complains if a semitrailer truck passes me even if I'm doing a little over the speed limit and the truck driver is 'high balling' down the road.

My wife's lead-foot fully justifies the need for autonomous vehicles.

Bob Wilson

10. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Gen II vs Gen IIII

11. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife has been borrowing my Prius for the past few days and a couple of days ago brought up the fact that she doesn't know how to drive it like I do because I seemlessly get 56-60 mpg and she gets 49-51 mpg. Last night she drove and I rode in the passenger seat. I noticed that she keeps her foot on the accelerator even when going a steady 45 mph, hits the turn lane at full speed and hits the brakes late. She also hits the accelerator hard then backs off to let EV kick in instead of just gently letting EV accelerate. Bingo. At least, this is better mpg than the 22-24 mpg she gets driving her Kia Forte Koup SX around town.

I haven't fully read this thread, but I have noticed that the hybrid price difference is slowing going down. Doesn't Lincoln claim that the hybrid version of the MKZ is the same price as the gas only version? A hybrid Civic costs the same as an Si Civic and you can get a new Prius C or Insight for under $20k if you look hard enough. Hybrids are slowly becoming less exclusive in their price category. I think this will increase the adoption rate going forward into the next decade.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Among the Fuelly population, 46mpg is the average for the gen2 and is close to the gen3 average.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <Gulp> . . . so my 52 MPG for our 2003 and 2010 is . . . strange?

Actually when I was over in GreenHybrid.com, I did a study of the NHW11 population and found area and route was the strongest determinant. Sure we can make some style changes that help but we are also able to make style changes that hurt . . . hurt bad. When you get in good-enough habits, it becomes natural, just the way you drive. But sometimes it does not translate on other cars.

In the Prius, I'm able to take most curves about 10-15% faster than traditional cars due to the low CG. One day I drove my wife's Echo and nearly rolled taking a turn at Prius speeds. Didn't get it on two wheels but it was . . . exciting.

Bob Wilson

14. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I do play the hypermiling game as much as time allows. I like saving money on fuel. I don't grill block or have a scan gauge. Just a little more air in the tires and driving smart and slow. :)

My wife drives her Gen II pretty gently, but doesn't really hypermile. Just keeps it mellow. I do put more psi in her tires also.

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Prius MPG Reports | Fuelly
    No but statistically it is much higher than average. This likely requires all three, climate, route, and driver behaviour to average that high in a gen I. It's good to be much higher than average. I would not call it an outlier though

+1
    Driving style likely makes a much greater difference in a gen I then a gen III, simply because of the aerodynamics.

we need to get you out in a low cg car ;-) with a good suspension. Certainly less braking will translate into bettermpg. This is more true of a conventional car than the gen III prius because of regeneration.

16. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the same boat. I use the diesel truck 1x a month. The Prius is the DD and it fits my needs perfectly.

DBCassidy

My '08 51 - 52 mpg. NO complaints here.:)

DBCassidy

ewxlt66 likes this.
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yep ... ego is in part an element of maturity, or lack thereof. Just last weekend I rounded a corner where a bunch of cheer leaders were trying to get passers by to stop & get their car washed for their high school. My windows were down & I could here of the the 17year-ish cheer leaders (in reference to my car) say, "that's the gay-est looking car I've ever seen". It made me laugh. True or not, it made me laugh.
    :LOL:
    As for gas being expensive? Maybe once cheep beer, or even a gallon of foofoo bottled water costs more than gas per gallon ... maybe then we might talk about gas being expensive. I prefer to drive on electrons because THEY are truly cheep. Our PV panels manufactures our fuel, and since the system has amortized it self this year, our fuel is pretty much free. I doubt i could build a refinery on our property though ... so our payback (tho there really is no such thing) is pretty quick.

markabele likes this.
  18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe she meant gay in a good way;)

Gas is much more expensive than when my mom grew up.
    http://inflationdata.com/inflation/images/charts/Oil/Gasoline_inflation_ch[​IMG]art.htm

Gas is about double what it was 15 years ago, but adjusted for inflation it is about the same as it was in 1981. pv electricitity is lower than it has ever been.

telmo744 likes this.