1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Type "A" Fuse?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kenkneeb, Nov 2, 2005.

1. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

775 Miles on my new '05 Mil. Silver Prius and... What The Heck? A Type "A" Fuse.

So, Ok, I got a little careless during the install of my Power Outlet Mod from CoastalEtech and decided to T-off of it and run the center console Power Outlet off the dash power outlet (I know, I know, watch the max. current draw and all that) so I could simply charge my cell phone overnight etc, so the additional current draw is minimal (I used a 16 ga. wire as my T-wire). Since my dash power outlet only runs my Valentine One radar detector (hey, anyone notice that the Val. One and the Toyota MFD beeps are virtually the identical ~3kHz beep tone and timbre?) anywho... I blew a fuse under the dash. A 15 amp fuse. A, according to Toyota a Type "A" fuse, that my local NAPA store has never heard of or seen before. They couldn't find it in their book. I "googled" the term TYPE A fuse and NOTHING.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? Anybody have a cross-referenced name, number, other industry term for a Type A fuse. After some research it dialed the nomenclature as most likely being a Mini Blade Type Fuse. That's about it. It has somewhat recessed legs, which is unusual in that the NAPA replacement Blade Type Fuses did not have recessed legs. Also the "Type A Fuse" legs in the '05 are much, much shorter that the Blade Type fuses at NAPA.

ANY HELP GLADLY APPRECIATED. I imagine I can get replacements from the dealer but hey now, I'd really like to know what kind of fuse this is and perhaps buy an assorment to keep on hand, and not a dealer prices, if you know what I mean?!?

Thanks for any info.

All the best,

Ken
    http://priuschat.com/style_images/1/folder...icons/icon4.gif

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

ScubaX: Thanks for your reply. No, the fuse is different looking from the fuses you imaged in your post. It is similar to but different from one of the smaller fuses, but not similar enough.

As a newby to the board, I can't figure out how to delete the double post. Any ideas???

Thanks, Ken

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Someone mentioned that the straightline fuses would work fine, they just might point the wrong way.

5. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Straight line fuse??? What is a straight line fuse? You mean one of those little inch long cylindrical glass jobbies which are usually held in place by a spring loaded fuse holder with pig tails out of each side?

I apologize if I confused you DanMan, as I'm seeking the OEM replacement stubby little fuse that goes into the fuse holder under the dash near the driver's knee. These are unusually small blade-type fuses heretofore unseen by our local Napa Auto Store. There is a spare in the Engine Compartment so I'm good for some time, but I do want to replace it and know what these are called and where to get them other than from the somewhat rip-off dealer 20 miles away (they've been extoriting nearly $2k over MSRP for the Prii so I bought my Prius up north and saved nearly 2 grand.

Any further thoughts? Let'm em rip.

Ken

6. c4

c4 Active Member

The fuses are slightly modified versions of the "mini-ATC", the small yellow fuse in the top-middle of the picture above.. The mini-ATC fuses will fit the fuse slot, but may stick out a bit.. Most auto parts stores have them by now, and if not, or you want the genuine Toyota fuse, the local Toyota dealer is always a good bet..

7. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Thanks C4!

Any idea of what the accepted Auto Aftermarket name for these stubby puppies are???

Thanks, Ken

8. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ken@Oregon,

Why don't you visit your Toyota dealer?

And, do you know you have spare fuses in your fuse box?
    Also, there is a special tool to pull out a fuse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ken@Japan

9. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Interesting that the fuse is stubby. Here's what the owner's manual shows:

11. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Thanks DanMan!

Interesting indeed as the manual is ALMOST CORRECT.

Stubby-legged and recessed are the words for this specific fuse style. It appears that the closest description I can find is that this is an "ATM Mini Blade Style" fuse, however this doesn't accurately describe this particular fuse. Just the fact, man, just the facts (well, names and numbers would be helpful too!). BTW, the Toyota Dealer's Service Dept. simply calls this the "mini fuse" (Big Help! :lol:)

Any specifics would be loverly.

Ken

12. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It does look like the ATM mini blade, but modified where the legs are made shorter, and part of the plastic removed to expose the blade further up the fuse. This is much like how some devices use 'proprietary' rechargable batterys by connecting to the negative of the battery from the side rather than from the end. The proprietary battery simply has part of the insulation removed.

Standard ATM fuses might work here, even if they stick out some.

14. bobkat21

bobkat21 New Member

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I ONLY FOUND THE FUSES AT THE DEALER AND THEY ARE EXPENSIVE $$$$

15. c4

c4 Active Member

As I said above, the ATM fuses do work and they do stick out.. Better any day than using a chewing gum wrapper and frying your car's electrical system..

16. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

The Dealer wanted $2.20 a piece for the OEM Stubby Bubbies (technical term of course). They gave me 20% off, who whoo!!! That's till a 100% markup fromt the $1.00 ea price for the Mini ATM's at NAPA. I'll be stocking up at NAPA in the future.

I'm still curious, WHAT THE HECK IS THE INDUSTRY'S name for this specific Mini ATM Blade Style Fuse (With recessed, 'bare shoulders')?

You Gottem Info? Set it free.

Ken

17. kpauley

kpauley New Member

Could it be these?
    Littlefuse Low Profile Mini

If it looks like these, then searches can begin on the part number / brand name. Might help narrow down a place to source these.

Ken

18. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Ladies & Gentlemen, let the records reflect that another fine Prius member, also with the very fine name of Ken (Ken is Scottish for "To Know" and Hebrew for "YES", and other various very cool examples of the meaning of the word/name Ken can be found at: http://www.answers.com/topic/ken ) has been the first to DECODE THE FUSE MYSTERY: YES!!! KEN KNOWS, Littlefuse calls them LOW PROFILE MINI FUSES with their amperage defined in/by their color code encapsulate Ken gave the link to in his above post. Now, which auto store carries them??? I know Napa currently doesn't? Anybody find them at Schucks, AutoZone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, blah, blah, blah. Please post your finds and prices. Thank and back to the mystery already in progress.

Ken y Oregon

19. kpauley

kpauley New Member

I'm glad I was able to help :D

Now, buying them. I've been looking a little, have not found anyone that is selling them yet. I'll keep browsing when I have some time. The only thing I found so far was a FAQ for the Scion's that apparently use them too. They are having the same issue (they found the same reference I did) and have not found a source other than the dealer yet (see link below).

I came across this when I went to one auto-part web site and searched for fuses by make / model, it showed Littlefuse and that it was out of stock. So it may just be that these are just new and have not made it out to the channels yet....

Scion FAQ

Ken

20. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

I just called Littlefuse in Des Plaines, IL (800.324.2480), spoke the very pleasant w/Gwynn in Auto Aftermarket Div.) and she indicated that these fuses MAY/Should be available at/thru:
    Pep Boys, AutoZone, CarQuest, Advance Automotive. If these fuses aren't currently carried by these stores, the fuses can be ordered as they are currenly active parts in their warehouses and in the above stores' "SYSTEM". Gwynn also referred me to Fuses Unl. (800.255.1919) in California and a friendly person I spoke with mentioned that the minimum purchase for a V (view or 5 Pack) was $1.79 with $20.00 min. + freight. So it would appear that the best bet would be to pull these little puppies thru your local auto parts store (asking them to order the fuses thru their warehouses). The Littlefuse 'Global Part #" for this fuse is: 0 8970 15.N (w/15 being the amperage) so this # will change base on the fuse's current handling capacity. Also, Gwynn mentioned that the 3 & 4 amp fuses won't be avail. thru Littlefuse until early '06.

Other fuse dealers as found on Littlefuse website can be found at:

http://www.littelfuse.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi/en...SION=AA7JvS2Hyr

Keep up the good work!

KenyOregon