1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Underbody coating on your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by txl146, Feb 4, 2012.

1. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone sprayed under body coating on your Prius? If so, how's it holding up over time?

I have applied POR-15 on my Subaru, but I want to know if there is a better kit out there as POR-15 seems to flake off over time.

Thanks in advance.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did use a couple of the spray can stuff I mine. It worked fine where there was no existing coating. Where there was, it did not mix well and it dripped off and didn't dry for quite some time.

3. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Most of the belly is covered by plastic panels. I recon you could spray the areas not covered or remove them all and spray the whole belly and then reinstall the panels.

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There was a new thread on this two days ago.

As posted above it does not make sense to coat plastic. The metal parts are already prime and coated to prevent rust. Put coating could create areas for dirt, water, salt, and grim to build up that will cause rust.

For the last 20 years experts have recommend against rust proofing and undercoating. This is just another item a dealer tries to sell you to put more money in their pocket.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The oily coating will most likely do no harm. The hard coatings will add weight and trap moisture. You don't want them on your Prius. The factory coating works well enough.

Tom

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have a look under there. There is a real mish-mash of materials and components. I would leave it as-is.