1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Understanding NiMH hypercycles (to prolong Prius HV battery life)

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Jul 8, 2009.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

What is hypercycle?

Hypercycle is a technique to use a rechargeable NiMH battery to extend it's life cycle and maximize overall usage.

Example:

10% Depth of Discharge x 300,000 cycles = 3,000,000 overall percentages
    60% Depth of Discharge x 10,000 cycles = 600,000 overall percentages

The difference is 5 times more in overall usage.

How do I hypercycle NiMH battery?

The short answer is to use it a little at a time.

As the graph above shows, you would get about 700 cycles if you use 100% at a time. This means you charge it fully and draining it until empty. Isn't it how you use those rechargeable AA NiMH batteries? Yes, the worst possible way and now you know. If you discharge it at 60%, NiMH would be good for 10,000 cycles! That's more than 27 years if you use one cycle every single day! This gets better with 50% depth of discharge as it would double the cycles to 20,000. A little dirty secret NiMH battery charger and rechargeable battery manufactures don't want you to know.

How does Prius use the NiMH traction battery?

Prius normally uses less than 10% at a time. It is also known as one hypercycle. Prius HV battery is used when the gas engine is inefficient and therefore unlike an electric vehicle, no more than 10% is usually used at a time. This understanding enables NiMH to last 300,000 cycles! Toyota has warranty for 10 years or 150,000 miles on the pack. This means, Toyota believes an owner will average 2 HV cycles per miles. If an owner averages 1 HV cycle per mile, the HV battery pack would last 300,000 miles! If an owner drives mostly highway and use only 0.5 HV cycle per mile, it should last 600,000 miles!

See below link for more:

Understanding NiMH hypercycles - usbseawolf2000

I finally got some time to write up what I learned and studied about NiMH over 5 years. I came up with term "hypercycling" to easily explain why Prius battery would last a very long time to those acquiring minds new to hybrids.

I am sharing information here to learn from many knowledgeable people. I am no expert but the information is what I believe to be accurate from my experience. Feel free to contribute your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    great info and pretty much the way lead acid batteries works which leads to the
    " great lie" EV car manufacturers are perpetuating. my EV was supposed to have a range up to 40 miles well that was at 25 mph. that was too slow, so i had the thing reset to do 35 mph. well, that dropped the range to just under 30. that was ok, but soon realized that my batteries were starting to fail and that happened in less than a year. batteries replaced, started charging at work so now, i rarely use more than 50% of my charge before recharging.

so far so good.

Li does not have the charge life issues, only the cost issues. not putting any more money into the Zenn, holding out for a highway capable EV that will do at least 100 miles

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    So I suppose it is bad for the battery life to run it down to 3 to 4 bars as opposed to keeping it at 6 bars?

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no, not necessarily. its says best option is a 10% discharge. it does not mean 100% to 90%...in fact, pretty sure fully charged is not good either.

10% can also mean running from 70% to 60% which i think you will find is just about where your Pri spends most of its time. on a Pri... well, at least on the classics, 8 bars is 80%, zero bars is 40 %...

running between 6 bars to 3 bars is probably around a 15% change give or take.

hotelprisoner likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This seems to support the notion that owners who live in mountainous terrain can expect shorter traction battery life. I live at 1,100 ft elevation and have had two battery failures (thankfully covered under the hybrid system warranty) out of three Toyota hybrids.

The 2004's battery hasn't failed yet but it cycles daily from eight green bars down to two red bars. The SOC is moving up and down more quickly than in the past, which implies reduced battery capacity.

2 people like this.
  6. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So for those of us who are not the science types and not the math types, and who are new or recently new to Hybrids & Prius specifically, what does this mean in terms of our everyday driving? At lower speeds, say 40 mph and below, can we effectively control the battery discharge? I think this is different from controlling the point in acceleration when the gas engine engages by aggressive take-offs, jack-rabbit starts, or other fuel inefficient practices.

Thanks, TK

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Below 40 mph, Prius can use HV battery pretty aggressively in S4 (for the Iconic model) to keep the ICE shutdown. To extend the battery life, do not accelerate with battery power for more than 5 seconds, just press the pedal harder and use the ICE instead. I normally limit it to 2-3 seconds and I don't press the pedal close to the threshold.

My calculation indicates that 10 seconds of battery acceleration (near threshold) uses 5% of the pack. It is almost as hard on the pack as doing 0-60 floored acceleration.

To understand how many percent each block of the battery represent on the MFD, see the graphs below from Wayne Brown's site. More information with scenarios are available in the link I provided in my original post.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

swapper and Cyon Kim like this.
  8. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any comment/updates on how the above information on prolonging battery life applies to the Gen 3?

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The same should apply for 2010 Prius. EV mode was made available from factory but Toyota put in more restrictions to prevent unintended abuse.

1 person likes this.
  10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so by limiting EV mode to max 25 mph, i guess we now know the max safe amperage levels...so how much would that be for Gen 2 owners who can monitor that?

11. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    2 people like this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a interesting discussion with some very interesting information. As almost a total ignorant my question becomes how does driving with an emphasis on extending battery life affect gas mileage?

At some point don't you just have to drive? I mean when you start to apply hypermiling techniques, then look at battery hypercycling techniques at what point are you thinking too much every time you put your foot on the pedal?

I think most people buy a Prius with an eye to MPG and less fuel useage so I can understand hypermiling techniques being adopted to different extents by individual owners, but I'm afraid I'd have to leave battery discharge and maintenance primarily up to the Prius and the computer system itself.

However, in my time observing Prius Chat I've learned that a great number of Prius Owners are very dedicated and technically exacting. So perhaps my question is obviously totally premature, but how different are the characteristics of a Lithium Ion battery? Would the recharge characteristics be so different that we are talking about an entirely different approach, both from a automatic operational standpoint and an ownership standpoint? Is it just too early to know?

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Speed has very little to do with amperage draw. It is based on acceleration, (F=m*a). So if you accelerate very very slowly up to 25, you pull much less current then if you slam your foot down and get up to 25 in a quarter of the time.

But I think I have read the prius does +/- 120A charge/draw under high loads... Might have seen that in the 70mph EV mode thread in the video with the scanguage. 120A at 220VDC is 26.4KW which is a hell of a draw...

m.wynn likes this.
  14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    By limited EV to 25 mph, there will be less strain on the battery. One can no longer accelerate from 0 to 34 mph (as in gen2) on battery. Instead, the worse possible scenario would be 0 to 25 mph in gen3.

The amp it draws can be max at 0 mph, at any speed. It all depends on how hard the drive push the pedal. The question is for how long... it will determine how deep the cycle it is going to be. By reducing the max EV speed, the "deepness" of the cycle is also reduced.

With Scangauge II, we can monitor the amp. I think gen2 allows 105 Amp while gen3 allows slightly more 120 Amp (?) due to improved cooling.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota designed the car so that HV battery pack last beyond 10 years / 150k miles warranty coverage. The tips provided here (with deeper understanding) are to hyper extend the life of the HV battery. It is for information only and everyone has to use their own judgement to exercise it or not.

I think it is premature. We don't know a lot about Li-ion batteries yet. Lithium also has so many variance in chemistry. I think it will be a while until we understand the pros and cons of all those different chemistries.

We normally use the traditional (cobalt) Li-ion battery to discharge deeply in laptops and cell phones. I do not know if the hypercycles could also be applied to the Li-ion. I have been using my netbook to utilize between 20% and 80% SOC. I have recharge it much sooner before hitting 20%. My typical use is 60-80%. The battery is still in great shape after 1.5 years. I will have to see.

16. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is all very interesting and I appreciate the information about the life of our batteries, although I am perplexed by how we can use this new understanding to maximize the life of our batteries. Does anyone have practical suggestions about things that I can do during my daily drives to ensure that my Prius batteries get all of the life that they deserve?

17. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Perhaps I can add a bit based on my own experience and interpretation. Please interject if you wish:

- Minimize the use of extended EV sessions whenever possible and restrict their use only for instances where it is strategically advantageous (maximum distance covered per unit of charge consumed).
    - Ensure that the amplitude and frequency of charge discharge cycles remain low. Too many of these cycles will definitely shorten the pack's life expectancy.
    - Make strategic use of the air conditioning. Too little use can lead to increased thermal stress in hotter days, and exacerbated use may also cause higher thermal stress too. Seek a happy medium by allowing hot air to escape the car first, then when in motion, set the temps to the highest possible settings while very slowly dialing it down until comfort is achieved.
    - Avoid storing the car for more than a couple of weeks without a brief power-up. This is not only because NiMH packs loose a bit of charge with time but so does the 12V battery supporting the 12V subsystem.
    - For hypermilers: Avoid chronically static SoC's as these are also not desirable in the long run. Although not as severe as their chemical siblings, the NiMH chemistry is still affected by the proverbial "memory effect". Using a bit of charge now and then is a good thing.
    - In cold days allow the system to manage the state of charge even it it means the ICE will run a bit longer. It may seem wasteful and downright depressing to see one's mileage plummet, but the way it works is neither accidental nor without merit.

Cheers;

MSantos

1 person likes this.
  18. Crazyhorse6901

Crazyhorse6901 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just purchased a 2010 Prius IV solar roof on 7-23-10 and live well under 1 mile from work I noticed a two bar on the charge and at times can get three or four. Need some help here to avoid premature battery failure...What suggestions can you guys give me. Thanks for your time and help.:rockon:

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since you have a very short trip, I would warm up the car before driving off. This will avoid Prius from draining HV battery aggressively in order to reduce emission from the cold gas engine.

Read up on The Five Stages of Prius Operation. You want to avoid Stage 1. By warming up the car, you'll get to Stage2 with fuller HV battery (recharged in Stage 1).

1 person likes this.
  20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    do ever need your car during the work day? if so, i would be walking most of the time. (i dont do bad weather and dont expect anyone else to either) or more likely riding a bike. it would not even take me 10 minutes from saddle up to lock up.

if not that, i would definitely invest in a plug in kit.