1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Understanding the A/C Buttons

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DanCole42, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Jenpen

Jenpen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I generally use fresh air to exhaust the hot air then recirculate because it's easer to cool cool air. Am I doing this at the expense of my battery I am just starting to learn through the forum that heat is a danger to my battery previously I only had to worry about an ice?
    Thanks
    Jen

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe open the windows as you roll off to purge the hot air? The auto up down features makes that quite easy.

3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As mentioned, the simplest method is to leave the A/C button on at all times and just adjust the temperature. That said, I always turn the climate control system off when leaving the car in the summer. When I return, I'll start the car and open all four windows to equalize the temperature when driving off, then decide whether or not to turn the climate control system on if I want the cabin to be a bit cooler (with the windows closed, of course.) In cold weather, I'll leave the climate control system on at all times (with the A/C button still lit) at the desired set temperature. The blower will adjust automatically as the coolant warms up so as not to blow cold air into the cabin.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One more thing, hitting Auto doesn't turn the A/C compressor on automatically. You have to make sure the A/C light is on, too.

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    At least on the 2012, if going from OFF to AUTO, the A/C light always goes on.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Leave it in Auto, shut the A/C button off and then turn Auto off. Now, turn Auto back on and see if the A/C button is lit. On my car, the Auto setting remembers if the A/C was on or off when you turn Auto back on.

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Always comes back on in the 2012.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The programming must have been changed. I turn the compressor off a few munutes before I shut down the car to dry off the evaporator and Auto always remembers the last settings.

9. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well the HV battery fan will turn on if it needs to, but it seems this fan does not run often enough.

When you have the fan on high and fresh air, not recirc or various Auto which does lots of weird things, you are moving air across the HV battery. Obviously, cooler is better. Not sure in winter/fall which is optimal.