1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unhappy with Toyota, but not my dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AKCMommy, Feb 11, 2010.

1. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought my 2010 a couple of days before the brake story broke. I have less than 100 miles on my car.

I just got a phone call from the service manager from the dealership to personally schedule my car for the recall update for tomorrow morning. They even offered me a rental because I have to work tomorrow.

THAT is outstanding!

I hope the rest of you have a good experience too.

2. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Now that's customer service.

3. Surfdolfin

Surfdolfin Surfin the Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: NOT Unhappy with Toyota, or my dealer

Have not heard from Toyota or my dealer yet ... but not worried. The car runs - and stops - great. I knew of the ABS issue prior to my 12/31/09 purchase from reading threads on this Forum.
    Your dealer sounds pretty nice, though.:rolleyes:
    Bart in SoCAL.

4. concertinajohnnyboy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm unhappy with life, but not my Toyota Prius.

5. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm happy with both Toyota and the dealer. However, I wish the saleman would quit calling my wife. He's called every week during the last month for one reason or another. So Art, if you reading this, your a nice guy but please, move on!

6. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Must got a pretty wife. I would be upset if a sales man calls my wife all the time.

7. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've beat both Toyota and my dealer up before, but will cut both a little slack since taking my IV in for the recall and some other issues.

The extremely good:
    Received a loaner for the day, which turned into a loaner for the week (more below).

The good:
    - The SM actually used the typed paper describing the problems.
    - The dealer reprogrammed my lock gratis since they were already hooked up for the recall reprogramming
    - They were able to find the TSB for back seat rattles and tried a number of other things (spare tire, etc) while they wait for the seat parts to come in
    - They found the HSI bad (multi-colored numbers)

The not-so-good:
    - The HSI will take a week to get here and be replaced (odometer programming) -- this is very much offset by the loaner
    - The brake lights not coming on under light braking "might" be fixed with the brake recall. The loaner V, which has had the recall, has the same symptoms at a stop light (lightly release the brake pedal and watch the brake lights go off while you remain stopped). Apparently, the brake light switch is extremely difficult/painful to adjust
    - The fuzzy HVAC control is normal, and he was unable to find any TSBs on it (I know it's here in PC somewhere)
    - The loaner has a whistle (seal leak?) mine doesn't have -- a week with an ear plug will fix that

Bottom line: Kudos to the dealer for taking care of me with the loaner and for using the info I provided instead of short-handing entries into their computer. The low side of the seesaw is off the ground, but I'll see what happens over the next 7 months until my warranty runs out (35k miles/year).

8. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :D

9. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The TSB for the blurry screen is 0387-09

2 people like this.
  10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Multi-colored numbers isn't necessarily a bad HSI - the HSI is made up of red and aqua pixels. Some unused pixels don't glow as brightly as the ones that are regularly used. If this is considered bad, there's a TON of HSI's that Toyota will need to replace because of this "defect".

Also, the brake light switch is NOT fixed, and if anything for me, is made slightly worse because the pedal is now slightly more sensitive. I can get 1/6-1/5th into the HSI charge line before my brake lights will come on at higher speeds.

11. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the HSI, I was thinking the same thing (still am to some degree). The SM's concern was that it may be an internal short that will get worse. I believe it's actually a firmware/software issue (albeit, not an important one) since a '1' will show up Red, and a '2' in the same location will be white. As you can see in the photos below, the red shows up primarily with the lights on, while it's white with lights off. Since in the "7:20 pm" pic, when the '1' becomes a '2', the color changes from red to white, I'm guessing it was just poor programming on the firmware/software developer's part.

I'm waiting with baited breath on the brakelights...

Attached Files:

12. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    She cleans up pretty good :D

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think over time as that 1 stays illuminated, it'll switch over to the proper aqua color.

I noticed when I switched from Trip A to Trip B, that the 2 in the 2000+ miles was off-color as well, for the same reason. When I flip to energy or consumption, I get various intensities because I live mostly in the Hybrid System Indicator (HSI) most of the time.

I do agree that the designers probably didn't consider varying use and short-term burn-in. Personally, I'd rather have seen OLED, but it too has longevity issues.