1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unisys temperature map

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jan 29, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Because the link has no date or time stamp, it updates with a browser refresh:
    [​IMG]
    • Jan 30, 2014 - shows the Arctic air bleeding in a narrow corridor over the Hudson bay, fanning out over the Canadian provinces and the initial slug, rapidly warming up over the lower 48. But this is less important than the warm air flowing to the pole that reduces sea ice freezing.
    • Jan 29, 2014 - you can really see how warm Alaska and the west coast have become. When the cold air heads for the lower states, warm air comes in behind . . . reducing Arctic sea ice freezing.
    Bob Wilson

ksstathead likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, most of the Gulf Coast is colder than Seattle. My porch is 15F warmer than New Orleans.

Somebody, please send some of the Southeast snow up here to the Northwest.

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting to look at Wester AK, and Greenland. All the deniers out there who have a very narrow old view might learn something from this map. Probably won't though!

Icarus

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We would but you'll have to send the drivers . . . we only have Southern drivers and they aren't very good in snow and ice.

Bob Wilson

fuzzy1 likes this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I wonder what thermometric data they use to produce it? Not very measuring sites at the very high latitudes.

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It might also be educational to see an over lay of the temperature anomaly for historical averages.

Icarus

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is a fairly easy image to capture and GIF. One could capture the image and put it into an animated GIF "n" covering some reasonable time period and rate. Better still, stuff them into an MPEG if the compression between frames can be worked out.

I suppose we might ask UNISYS if they might have already done this. <grins>

Bob Wilson

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The top post no longer updates (for me).

U East Anglia has done this

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140205091611.htm

and this

http://www.earth-syst-sci-data.net/6/61/2014/essd-6-61-2014.html

on behalf of Google Earth users. So with the known (and imagined) limitations of CRUTEM4, one can explore the world of air T.

ESSD is an open access journal so you won't need a librarian to satisfy your curiosity about that.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Once more, an Arctic air mass comes south into the lower 48. Last night, my wife sent me out and it was 58F with misty rain. The dogs and I walked around the parking lot and I ducked into the store. When I came out, wind had picked up and rain was increasing in the gusts. By the time, I was home, it was 46F and now, four hours later, 34F. It looks like North Alabama will be below freezing in another hour or two. But these are mild compared to upper latitudes. The real problem will be cattle and crops.

Notice that Alaska and much of the upper and midwest are at similar temperatures. As that slug of cold air descends, it means more melt temperatures for the Arctic.

Bob Wilson