1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UPDATE! PROBLEM SOLVED! Prius C - my GPS keeps getting lost!

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by GeoZoo, Jan 16, 2014.

1. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    View attachment 61353 View attachment 61353 I'm looking for others who have had this problem. I've got a 2013 Prius C 3.

I've attached two photos and what I did was do directions back to where I actually was. One photo shows me 2.7km (well driving distance not as the crow flies) from my actual location - the other was 9.3km away from my actual location. I've tried stopping and restarting the car. It is not consistent but when it happens it is like that for the entire day - it is between 100m to >30km (yup - last week it said I was 32km away from my house in a lake which has no road access!)

This has been an on and off issue since I got the car in November. There is no definite place that seems to cause the loss of GPS. I had a Venza and Highlander with GPS that never had this kind of extreme problem. I live in Metro Vancouver - not like satellite coverage is poor. There is nothing that could be obstructing the antenna (that I know of).

Has someone else had this problem and how was it resolved? My dealership has been talking to Toyota about it to replace part of the GPS system but even with my google-ing this doesn't seem to be a major problem with other Prius C folk.

Attached Files:

2. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you Zephr7.
    I'm in Canada - no Entune. My dealership isn't sure. They haven't had anyone else have this problem this extreme!

Today I'm around 5km out. And I've driven down the middle of the Fraser River today.

My Prius has a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang complex!

Tyler S likes this.
  4. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Entune is the Apps part. U can still perform GPS recalibrate on your Canadian version of Display Audio with Nav.

5. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe its because I have an old blackberry?

6. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    its not the phone, haven't u tried out recal the GPS?
    if not bring it to the dealer with a video of it

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can you get your hands on a portable unit to see if it gets lost as well?

Is it possible that the signal from the satellite is being dithered? Our DoD has been known to do this from time to time in various places.

The other day my Garmin had an altitude problem but it corrected itself.

8. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've used GPS for 12 years.

From remote Yukon to Northwest Territories, Quebec, Nunavut and Amchitka Island, AK(google it-VERY remote!). I've used installed GPS in vehicles in BC and WA since 2010. Also used a very, very accurate GPS station in AK.

Never - ever - have I had one out by 40km even if the datum was set wrongly!

Toyota has decided to replace the head unit after checking software and so on. Will post when I know if that is the problem

9. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've used GPS for 12 years.

From remote Yukon to Northwest Territories, Quebec, Nunavut and Amchitka Island, AK(google it-VERY remote!). I've used installed GPS in vehicles in BC and WA since 2010. Also used a very, very accurate GPS station in AK.

Never - ever - have I had one out by 40km even if the datum was set wrongly!

Toyota has decided to replace the head unit after checking software and so on. Will post when I know if that is the problem

10. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    UPDATE
    my dealership finally ordered a brand new GPS unit from Toyota.

I've never been lost since.

Tyler S likes this.
  11. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Original Thread UPDATE! PROBLEM SOLVED! Prius C - my GPS keeps getting lost! | PriusChat

So they replaced the GPS unit head and the new one worked well....

Until about a month ago when the "chitty chitty bang bang" syndrome started again then stopped. Two days ago it started getting really bad again. This time it is worse.... the GPS can't even figure out what direction the car is facing.

Emailed the dealership.... they said it might need the latest update... hmmm.... it was in for a service 8 days ago and somehow they forgot to do the update? ugh....

Anyway... we shall see what they decide to do. I just don't understand why my C GPS gets so lost and so VERY lost (up to 160km lost) and jumps around the place so badly.

GabriolaGuy and Tyler S like this.
  12. dbv8787

dbv8787 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I still have the same gps problem from before and have given up on getting it fixed. I no longer use Toyota gps at all and rely on my iPhone for gps which I like better anyway.

13. Tyler S

Tyler S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is a very interesting post. Did the most recent software update make a difference?

Good luck with resolving this issue!