1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

**UPDATED** Car died after leaving it with the valet...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tall Rob, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Tall Rob

Tall Rob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I went to a hotel tonight and gave my car (2010 Prius II) to the valet. When I came out about 4 hours later, a different valet guy said they had a problem with my car and that it had no power. But, somehow, they were able to drive in reverse and park it near the entrance. This must have happened shortly after I left the car with them.

The car would not start, but a dash light was blinking that looked like an outline of a padlock (it was blinking too quickly for me to tell). Also, strangely, the vents were blowing air (albeit, at a very low setting).

Someone with the hotel came out with a battery charger and we hooked it up to the terminal in the front engine. As soon as the battery was attached, everything in my car lit up and I was able to start it up.

However, my front headlights would not work (though the hi-beams did), and the vent was blowing air out at full blast. The AC/fan controls were not responding, so I had to drive home with no headlights lights and air blowing full blast.

Also, all radio presets and my A and B mileage counters had reset to zero. I assume that whatever happened, the computer "rebooted".

On the drive home, the battery was showing almost full bars.

I parked in my driveway and the car would not shut off. I called a friend who has a 2004 Prius and he suggested I push the power button for 5 seconds (no foot on brake), then tap the power button quickly three times... well, it worked, the car shut off completely. I mean it just went dead. No lights, no beeps, nothing. Now the car will not start again. At least I made it home.

I've owned my car since it had 5 miles on it, and now have only @ 53k miles. I always get the schedule service and I have never had one instance of this car not starting, until tonight.

My concern is that the valet did something to screw up my car. I plan to call the dealership tomorrow, but I was hoping to get some insight from the experts here on this problem.

Thanks!

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What you describe is a dead 12v battery.

Holding the power button should be known to everyone, it is in the manual too and the commonly recognized way to power on and off electronics. Try it on your computer, it works too. Press it momentarily and it shuts off gracefully. Hold it down and it completely cuts power.

Your headlights wouldn't work because they were probably HID lights, and couldn't get enough charge to ignite the initial plasma.

Everything is very explainable and worked exactly as expected for a dead 12v.

As to how it happened, you have a 6 year old battery. A brand new 2010 is manufactured in 2009, meaning it is about 6 years old. That's older than average life expectancy. My guess is that the valet did something. Leave a door open, exited through the passenger door (didn't auto shut off headlights) or something like that. A weak battery was killed, and there you go.

No need for a dealer. No need for diagnostic fees. Your 12v battery is dead, replace it. If you want to save a few bucks, then hook it up to a 12v charger for about 8 hours. Since you are in LA, you don't care about freezing temperatures so you can probably eek another year or two or three out of it after recharged.

3. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My 12V did the same thing before it went toast after I sat in the car with the car off and the headlights on (I thought they went off automatically...the catch is after the driver's door is opened).

Wouldn't start, gave it half hour or so, then had enough juice to start the car. Analyzed it before getting a Deka battery and sure enough it was on it's way out.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Lesson Learned - Never use valet parking...

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Long story short, you need a new 12 volt battery.

Best of luck to you.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    By your signature it show that you own a 2010, it is enough wear and tear on the Aux battery. I would replace it for a NEW one.
    I will recommend a proper Optima yellow top as a replacement.

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The valet was able to back the car to you because reverse in a prii is electric, while forward can be electric or ice, so even thou the 12v wouldn't start the ice, the 220v was able to move the car backwards, remember to trickle charge the new yellow optima overnight before hooking it up in your car, the gen3 is easy to access the 12v as long as the rear hatch opens;)

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NO, no, no.
    12 V never starts ICE in prius. I agree the 12V is bad but only hope the hotel boys didn't reverse polarity while "jumping." it can be an expensive fix.

JC91006 likes this.
  9. Tall Rob

Tall Rob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Everyone, thank you for your quick and detailed responses. Since the car is currently dead in mu driveway, I was thinking of ordering a 12v charger from Amazon with same day delivery. Would something like this be appropriate:

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i would personally take the old 12v to an autoparts store that has a prius battery replacement in stock. they can test the old one and confirm if it's dead.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Honest to god Lucifer (pun intended), I'm thinking to put you on ignore. Not cus you're nasty, just the steady torrent of shoot-from-the-hip misinformation, lol.

JC91006 likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you type the name of the charger? Maybe cus I have AdBlock on, can't see your link.

A smart charger in the 3~4 amp range is what you need, btw. Also, if that was your original 12 volt, I wouldn't go after the valet parkers, it was likely close to it's time. Still, they probably did something, hastened it's demise.

(I'd prefer not to be using AdBlock, but the site acts up without it.)

13. Tall Rob

Tall Rob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the charger is:
    Schumacher SC-1200A/CA SpeedCharge 3/6/12 Amp Charger/Maintainer/Tester

I can get same day delivery for today. Luckily, I don't need to drive today, but need my car tomorrow.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like a good one, good reviews. Use it on the 3 amp range, no higher. There's a caution in the Owners Manual, use no higher that 4.2 amps I think it says, if I'm not mistaken.

I use a CTEK 3300, fwiw, had it a while now.

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The charger you are asking about will work. Do two things.

1. Make sure you set it for AGM mode.
    2. Use the 3 Amp Setting

I still think in the end you will need a new 12 volt battery. But investing in a charger is a GOOD idea.

Don't be surprised if it takes 12 hours or more to fully charge your battery.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010-II indicated in his profile does not have HIDs. Mine certainly didn't.
    As already pointed out, this is wrong. The 12V never cranks the ICE. It boots the car's computers and controllers up to 'Ready' and flips the relay that connects the 200V. The latter handles the heavy work, including cranking the ICE.

Merkey likes this.
  17. Tall Rob

Tall Rob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again everyone for your quick and helpful replies!

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tall Rob, if the valet reversed polarity when trying to jump start the car it wouldn't have moved two feet and the insurance company would be haggling over the liability for the four figure claim.

19. Tall Rob

Tall Rob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I was going to get a charger and fix the 12v battery, but because the car had acted so weird when I got it back from the valet (headlights not working, air blowing full blast...) I decided to call the Toyota service dept first. They suggested (of course) that I bring the car in for evaluation because the headlights and blower meant something beyond just a dead 12v.

So, I had to have AAA jump my battery yesterday and I was able to drive the car to my dealership (air vents still blowing full blast). The AC controls and the electric windows were also not working.

The price was quoted at $325 for new battery. A bit much, but worth it if the could figure out why there were these other issues.

Left the car with the dealer and took the shuttle home. Get a call a few hours later saying that they cannot figure out why the vent is blowing full blast, even with the car shut off. The 12v was dead, so it had to be replaced, but they needed to dig deeper to find out the other issues.

I left my car overnight and this morning the Toyota "Master Mechanic" took apart my dashboard in search of an answer. He found that the blower motor electronics were fried. That, along with the fact that both headlights burnt out at the same time, suggested to him that "something weird" happened to my car to cause all these issues, and it wasn't due to a faulty 12v.

So, they replaced the blower motor and headlight bulbs and got everything back together. My car is now A-OK. Total cost: $975

My main concern is that whatever happened, happened while my car was with the valet. I have never had an issue with this car, so to have everything fail at the same time like it did while left with the valet makes me think he did something wrong, somehow. It is this "something" that I am trying to figure out. I will be talking to the valet manager about my bill and seeing if they have an answer question about what happened.

Any thoughts from you folks on what could cause such a strange failure?

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They reversed the cables on a jump start? Almost a certainty.

The Prius is a car that difficult to run through car washes, leave with valets, jump start, and on and on.