1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

updated info on pricing and rebates

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by moclarke, Nov 13, 2007.

1. moclarke

moclarke New Member

Hello all -
    I am new to this forum. My hubby and I have been looking for a prius since July. Finally have options coming in and need a little reality test since buying this car has been like nothing else I have ever done. I put $500 at two dealorships and recently pulled one because I didn't like the way they were going about it (Northside Toyota). The park ridge toyota dealer that I inquired about on the internet has the car coming in that I want (Superwhite Touring with Bisque leather - p. #6) this week but when we visited on Saturday they couldn't give me any information on pricing! When we talked earlier in the week he said he could give me $500 off MSRP due to the internet connection. But he wouldn't tell me the price (!?). Wanted me to come in which I did on Saturday.

Carmax in Kenosha - quoted $27,258 for a super white package 6 with dark grey leather. They didn't require that I put any money down to be notified and will deal over the phone.

After finally actually seeing the interiors (which I couldn't even see until this past weekend due to lack of inventory) I have decided I want bisque - the carmax guy said if I didn't get the price from the other dealer than he would notify me when he had the car I wanted came in (which could be a while and I am okay with that). He has a white touring coming in this week but it has dark grey leather.

Is this just the way it is in Chicago? I read other forums and it looks like other parts of the country are at least willing to negotiate. Any recent experiences appreciated.
    thanks

2. personallyuneek

personallyuneek Yankee fan in New England

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could send a PM to KFERN, he's at the northern Grossinger dealership and people seem to have done pretty well there. I'm sure he likes keeping PriusChat people happy :)
    I bought my Prius about 18 months ago when MSRP was still standard, so I'm not a good resource for your questions. At that time some people were complaining about the waits and occasionally paying over MSRP, so I was happy to grab an unallocated Prius for MSRP at that time, even though I probably wouldn't have chosen silver as my first choice.

4. moclarke

moclarke New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Nov 13 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]539128[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Nov 13 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]539128[/snapback]</div>
    I did call him and he has not called back. He moved to their autoplex. Thank you for the response. Robert - all those posts were from 2006 - I think the landscape has changed...still your recent deal is enough to prompt a visit to my friend in DC!

I am not done yet - although this is a bit time consuming I will say.

5. personallyuneek

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(celticgirl @ Nov 13 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]539148[/snapback]</div>
    Last page is stuff from this year.........They want your business, they'll find a way to move the price.
    Out West it looks like they are still above invoce, but the Central and East coast seem to be negotiating.

Good Luck :D

6. moclarke

moclarke New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PersonallyUneek @ Nov 14 2007, 06:40 AM) [snapback]539363[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Robert! I am just getting the hang of moving around on this site - finally was able to see the entries. Very helpful. Also, just heard back from State of IL and they are still offering the $1,000 rebate so that is going to be very helpful IF I can come to agreement on this car. I have followed all the recommendations (started on the internet, five dealers, tried to deal over the phone, researched price on consumer reports, etc.) and still haven't gotten much sense of flexibility. But it is a big purchase and our current car is 13 years old and still doing fine so....

(hope to soon be the proud owner of a white touring - bisque leather....)

7. personallyuneek

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(celticgirl @ Nov 14 2007, 08:17 AM) [snapback]539370[/snapback]</div>
    When they start to say that invoice is the best they can do. (after at least 4-5 'visits' to the sales manager, (You should have also heard 'what can we do to earn your business today?') Lean in close to the rep, Forcefully in a soft and low tone tell them
    "You and I both know that the invoice number published on these cars is not what you pay. With hold backs and dealer incentives your investment isn't that number. You can sell me the car below that and still make a profit. If you want to know what you can do to earn my business, This is what it will take. " then write on your scratch paper a number that is $300 below invoice. "If not I appreciate your time, an I will have to get back to you".
    They won't let you walk out, and they won't come back with your price, but 2-3 more 'visits' to the SM and they will be below invoice. Each time they come back just say "I appreciate your position, and I respect your need to make a profit. If that's the number, I will have to get back to you."

The back and forth SUCKS! If you want to get the Best price, you will have to play hard ball. They are, and they have a lot more practice....so don't give in. The dealer has your name and number and will call you the next day or so to find out if your still in the market. There is always a chance you will walk out without the number and get it on another visit.

If your in a position of wealth that $1000 isn't worth a day or two of negotiation, then save time and give in early. I am too cheap.
    :D
    Good Luck...Let me know how you make out