1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[Updated w/ Video] Prius get a noisemaker option; Sounds like a spaceship

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It doesn't take much searching in the PriusChat forums to get an idea of how Prius owners feel about taking their silent "stealth" mode and turning it into a hybrid ice cream truck , and big names in the EV scene such as Chelsea Sexton have weighed in on the What Drives Us podcast regarding the issue. All of that feedback has led us to an announcement by Toyota introducing an "Approaching Vehicle Audible System" for the 3rd Generation Prius. For $150, Prius owners will be able to add a speaker system that goes under the hood of the 3G Prius and produces a bizarre sound that sounds like it was taken from a B-level horror movie. Its use is voluntary in Japan, where it will first be marketed starting August 30th. The noisemaker is "designed to meet new Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism guidelines for hybrid and other near-silent vehicles." Toyota is considering whether they will offer the system in the US at a later date. According to the Toyota press release, "TMC also plans other versions of the device for use in gasoline-electric hybrids, plug-in hybrids, electric vehicles as well as fuel-cell hybrid vehicles planned for launch." Video below. Press release after that. TMC to Sell Approaching Vehicle Audible System for 'Prius' Toyota City, Japan, August 24, 2010—Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces that, in line with its efforts to ensure an ever-safer traffic environment, it will begin sales on August 30 of an onboard device designed to alert pedestrians and others audibly to the presence of a quiet vehicle, such as a gasoline-electric hybrid. The device will be available nationwide through authorized Toyota dealers and Toyota genuine parts & accessories distributors for retrofitting on the third-generation "Prius" gasoline-electric hybrid vehicle. The onboard device automatically emits a synthesized sound of an electric motor when the Prius is operating as an electric vehicle at speeds up to approximately 25 km/h. The sound—aimed to alert but not annoy—rises and falls in pitch relative to the vehicle's speed, thus helping indicate the vehicle's proximity and movement. The device is designed to meet new Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism guidelines* for hybrid and other near-silent vehicles. TMC also plans other versions of the device for use in gasoline-electric hybrids, plug-in hybrids, electric vehicles as well as fuel-cell hybrid vehicles planned for launch. Onboard approaching vehicle audible system details Price Compatible vehicle models Function 12,600 yen (Includes consumption tax; does not include installation charge or other incidental fees) Third-generation Prius Emits a synthesized sound of an electric motor to alert pedestrians and others to the presence of a quiet vehicle. *Issued in January 2010 and based on assessments from the Committee for the Consideration of Countermeasures Regarding Quiet Hybrid and Other Vehicles, in which TMC participated as a member of the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association. The committee began assessing possible countermeasures in July 2009, after hearing concerns of drivers and other people about gasoline-electric hybrids and electric vehicles operating in near silence.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Prius get a noisemaker option; Sounds like a spaceship

Breathing a sigh of relief, no spaceship option for my G2 Prius.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds kinda cute...

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is just asking to be modded.

Eg: replace the sound with tank tread squealing and squeaking
    The hum of a warp core?
    The Screech of a TIE fighter?

3 people like this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I'm probably in the super minority.
    But I like it.

It's kind of cool. As long as I had the option of turning it off? I'd have no problem. I want the option of overriding the Sound FX's and using the speaker as an external PA system like a 1970's Mr. Microphone.

imdfrnt, markderail and Unlimited_MPG like this.
  6. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really really like the idea of the tank sound. Would love to see the look on peoples faces when they turn round and just see me in my Prius instead of a Challenger Tank! :D

1 person likes this.
  8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I really like this haha, it'll be so fun to mess around with people, bystanders will turn their heads and be like "Wth??" and I'll be like that's right, "PRIUS *****ES!!" I like the fact that you can turn it on and off even more. But remember, this is for JAPAN.

Leave it up to the U.S. version to make it mandatory with no option to turn off.

Love the TIE fighter idea. Just hope the US model has that on/off switch.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a potential market for different sounds, just look at the ring tone market.:cool:

This one is nice and subtle.

Watermarked tank sound effect from www.audiosparx.com

10. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SlowTurd, that is cool man! Now all I need them to do is take off the wheels and make it hover. Then we'll be in serious business.

12. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    little danny: mommy! mommy! i hear the ice cream truck.
    mom: here's $2 danny

<little danny runs out>

little danny: OH CRAP! another prius! i'll never buy one of those

prius owner::whoo::whoo::pound::pound::rockon::p

5 people like this.
  13. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Germans attached a siren to the Stuka bomber in WW2 that made a loud sound when it went into a dive. If I could get a noisemaker for my Prius that sounded like that, I might go for it.

14. dsharp88

dsharp88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good God, that's irritating!

15. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sigh. Mebbie I'll just settle for the poor man's noisemaker's option: Cranking a loop of "ghost ride it" with my windows down.

16. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pedestrian traffic on narrow streets like they showed in the video are a much bigger issue in Japan - in fact the street they used must have been blocked off for filming it looked so empty. Best part of the video was the corner at the end - notice the 45deg cut off on the property wall to allow turning room? That's how narrow things get. Big convex mirrors at intersections are common as well, to improve visibility around corners where walls are high, streets narrow, sidewalks non-existent and pedestrians everywhere.

They did mention in the video that it is audible but not loud within the cabin, which is good. Also, not sure if it was obvious, but if you turn off the noisemaker it just defaults back to on next time you power off/on the car.

Great mod option if people want it here, but I wouldn't want to see it required.

- D

17. LOJaC

LOJaC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Some prius-tone suggestions:

• Jetsons flying car
    • Sonar ping
    • Jaws shark theme

I really like the tank suggestion though.

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In reality, a noise maker becomes a legal defense in a pedestrian accident. Not quite a 'license to kill,' it simply carries on today's practices of ordinary, engine equipped vehicles. They kill and a noise maker equipped hybrid is no less dangerous at the gas equivalent.

BTW, is this a noise maker for all Toyota hybrids or just the Prius?

Bob Wilson

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Of course not Bob ... just the hybrids that outsell GM hybrids 20 to 1. Oh, wait, that's all of 'em.
    ;)

20. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They should make it sound like a 1960s muscle car idling.

Now, I would buy that.