1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading Radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bravery, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bravery

bravery New Member

I just bought a 2006 package 3 Prius. I thought I was upgrading it to have the Bluetooth radio in it. However, the dealer is installed a Motorola HF 850 after market unit in it instead of changing out the radio with the factory JBL radio with Bluetooth integration. The dealer is now telling me that there is no way to upgrade to factory JBL radio with Bluetooth it has to be installed at the factory. I have seen several installations guides that show the radio unit just slipping out of the dash. I just wanted check and see if the dealer is pulling my leg because they don't want to install the JBL. Any thoughts?

2. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bravery @ Apr 25 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]245295[/snapback]</div>
    Going from non-JBL to JBL will take a TON of money unless you get lucky and find all the parts used. You need the radio, the JBL amp, and the wiring between.

The non-JBL is all in the dash unit. The JBL has the separate amp AND the headunit sends a digital signal to the amp to tell it what volume/fade/etc to use, so if you tried somehow using an aftermarket amp with the JBL headunit, you'd lose some somewhat vital functions.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. bravery

bravery New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talonts @ Apr 25 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]245329[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the info.

What is the best after market booth tooth option? I know of the Motorola IHF 1000, HF850, BlueConnect, and TellPhone 4000 BT Pkg.

4. kesroberts

kesroberts New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bravery @ Apr 28 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]246558[/snapback]</div>
    I just had the blueconnect installed by my dealer and it seems to work well. I don't know about any of the others.

5. Marrico

Marrico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Does the JBL amp look like this and located under the passenger seat?

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the jbl amp is under the rf seat, yes.

7. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have an Advanced Prime with the JBL system. Do you know of any system available to provide noise cancelling feature? I've heard that some deluxe Honda models offer this feature as part of their sound systems. Does Bose, or any other quality aftermarket supplier offer such a system, preferably as an add-on?

8. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer isn't pulling your leg. The JBL system has a different headunit, speakers, wiring, and amplifier. Moreover, the sound quality still isn't good! I would choose a well put together aftermarket system any day over JBL.

9. Kevin_Denver

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Noise cancelling in headphones is relatively easy as the environment and distance to the ear is very controlled. In a car, such systems need to be custom built for the car and still aren't very effective. For this reason aftermarket systems aren't really possible.

Better solution to reduce noise is to apply sound dampening materials to your doors, wheel wells, and other locations, and install quiet tires.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  10. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, I'll have to look into dynamat again; it does make a big difference but has been expensive. You'd think Toyota would chase after the noise cancelling as factory option for these inherently quieter cars.

11. Kevin_Denver

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I used in my Prius
    Noico 50 mil 25 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation and dampening

I used 3 panels for each front door, 2.5 for each rear door, and the final panel for damping the trunk. Effect was a noticeable reduction in wind noise. Noico is much more economical than dynamat. I really recommend this stuff! Next for me is to apply two 80 mil layers to the insides of the wheel wells.
    IMG_20160323_160141159_HDR.jpg