1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading Stock Audio Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by McKeeius, Nov 12, 2009.

1. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have been lurking and reading all of the audio upgrade threads that I can find that would apply and I have a couple of questions I hope folks can help me out with. I have a 2009 Pkg.#2 non-JBL.

I definitely want to upgrade my front and rear speakers, I think I will pick out some component speakers like Boston Acoustic SC60 or something to that tune.

Question #1: Will any cheapo $50-80 pair of speakers suffice for the rear doors?

Question #2: You get 6-1/2 coaxial 2-ways, and I am guessing the smaller looking pieces are seperable tweeters? Do these go in the area along the door frame/windshield frame? Will Best Buy audio guys be able to figure this out?

Question #3: It sounds like I need an amp to get the most out of the speakers, is this true? I can probably dish out an extra $200 or so for an amp.

Question #4: If I need an amp, would I need a decent head unit to actually match the needs of the amp and speaker combination?

Question #5: If I get a new head unit, I would probably want to have it installed in the compartment beneath the stock head unit, will I still be able to control from the steering wheel?

Question #6: Do I really need all of this or should I just go with a simple front and rear door speaker upgrade, because I just really want louder cleaner music?

Question #7: Should I disconnect the center speaker dohickey and how do I go about doing that?

I listen to mostly live music, grateful dead, phish, parliament, etc. any speaker suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Okay I realize that is a lot to ask, any help is appreciated, if these questions have already been answered in another thread, let me know because I have been searching.

2. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm listening almost exclusively to live GD and ABB ... mostly soundboard recordings, through the iPod/iPhone or the Sat radio

... at the appropriate time, i'm going with a real amp and real speakers, none of the factory stuff, and nothing cheapo

3. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ejmckee,
    :welcome:

You'll find that there are LOTS of people on here with good advice about stereo upgrades. Keep searching and reading and hopefully some members will respond to you here as well.

A lot of your questions will be a matter of opinion. For example whether a cheap pair of speakers will suffice in the rear, what speakers are "best" for you, or whether you need amp, or whether you need any of it!! Member F8L has a great write up about his install of an aftermarket HU here - http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-audio-electronics/38700-stealth-install-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius.html

I think many people, including me, would advise you this way: you can always do a bit at a time (especially if money is an issue) and see how you like things.

But to answer #2 definitively (I had the same question) you need component speakers up front - ones that have the woofer and tweeter separate.

Hope that helps and let us know what you come up with.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've yet to do this, but I have done some research, and talked to people who know what they're doing.

To get the best performance, you really need to replace the stock head unit. All the other changes you make and money you spend will be seriously handicapped by keeping the old unit.

There is a unit available to retain use of the steering wheel controls, but not the touchscreen.

Yes, get rid of that centre speaker. And if you're only going to spend $50 on a pair, they'd probably sound better off than on. You can spend as many thousands as you want, but less than $1,000 is probably not going to get you very far.

5. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ok so now I am thinking about doing a new head unit, but I definitely would like to keep the steering controls, and don't want to lose any of the mfd controls - I am okay with controlling the music through the aftermarket head unit.

How can I know what aftermarket head units will sync with the steering wheel - and do I need to warn the installer ahead of time to pay attention to climate controls or anything like that?

Any suggestions on specific head units that folks have liked?

I would want to put it in stealth like F8L but I don't think I am up to the task of doing it myself. I don't think I'm great with wires.

6. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First thing I'd like to suggest is NOT using Best Buy. The small shops need you more and will take better care of you. Use Best Buy to audition speakers if you must, but go to a proper independent audio shop if you can.

About the rear door speakers - do you care what it sounds like for the rear passengers? Many car audio experts would say you don't even need speakers back there. But they only care about what it sounds like for the driver. For me, the Infinity Kappas coaxial (or 2-way) speakers that the previous owner put in were good enough. I don't know how bad the stock ones are.
    For the front, you want components - woofer in the door, tweeter in the A-pillar, replacing the factory units. Most important thing about picking speakers isn't specs or advice from a forum, rather it's what sounds good to you. Go listen to speakers that fit your budget. You may need to go to several different shops to hear a variety of brands - no single shop will carry everything. Bring your own music.

BTW, for some great car audio general knowledge, have a look here: Car Audio Book - Free Car Audio Information

Going bit by bit is a good way to avoid overspending - you can stop when you're happy with it or choose to do more. But there is the risk that you'll rip something out to take a different approach. So considering this, my suggestion is to go in the following order, stop whenever budget or satisfaction dictates:

1. Front component speakers - lots of options under $200, easy to do, big improvement.
    2. Rear coaxial speakers - even easier than the fronts, tho not as important.
    3. Head Unit - suggest Alpine for adding options easily in future and generally superior user interface.
    4. Amplifier + Subwoofer? This is where you break into real money. You could do something simple like an Alpine Power Pack (only with Alpine HU) - fits behind the dash and just adds a little extra to the existing speakers for $120. Or you can go with a nice 5 channel amp that allows you to add a subwoofer as well. There's a million ways to tackle the amp question but space is tight in the Prius.
    4b. Subwoofer? Many people would put this higher on the list, but that forces the amp question very early, because you need an amp to drive a subwoofer. Tho there are 'powered' subwoofers like the Kenwoods that many have been happy with too.

Steps 1-3 will probably come to $500-$700, then amp + subwoofer could add another $500 plus, using authorized dealer retail pricing. This is why I like the bit by bit approach. $200 here $200 there is less intimidating than the $1800 estimate that a shop could throw together quite quickly!

Hope that didn't ramble too much!

- D

7. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Nice - thanks for the input, sorry for asking noob questions.

I went to a smallish shop that seems good so far they are doing the install and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I went with:

-Front: Boston Acoustic sc60 components
    -Rear: BA s65
    -Alpine 4-channel amp MRP f300
    -and an LC6i Audio Control which apparently gives the stock head unit more capability for amp/speakers compared to the stock unit - and its supposed to keep steering and mfd controls.
    -and disable center speaker.

I can't dish out a grand on the sound system, still gotta chip away on payments for the car itself - I'm sure it will at least rock out pretty good now compared to stock.

Thanks for all the advice.

8. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That sounds like a great start actually, the LC6i is something I considered as well but decided to replace the head unit instead. Be sure to let us know how you like it!

- D

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you considered an iPod and some decent earbuds? It's much cheaper, more portable, and may well result in better quality sound. :)

10. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    iPod + earbuds while driving - that's a joke right?

Anyway, after much testing the system sounds good and loud - clean and crisp.

Some stuff sounds only okay, some sounds noticeably better, and some stuff sounds incredibly awesome.

I wanted to maintain the stock head unit - because I had a few units stolen in the past. So now I may have to spend some more $ on ipod integration.

The BA speakers sound real good, lots of treble, almost too much, I had to turn it down and the bass up, and now it sounds awesome. My only problem right now is fuzzy 'dead noise' when connect the ipod to the AUX input. What does it take to keep that out?

11. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was a TSB about ground loop noise in the center console AUX line, not sure if it applies to 2009 tho. Toyota dealer did the replacement on mine without hesitation.

- D

12. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Great, thanks I see that on the forums. I think I will try a noise isolator and see if that helps.