1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading to HID Bi-Xenon (low & high beam) and aiming headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mistah Ya, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Mistah Ya

Mistah Ya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After months of researching and foruming, I made a satisfied decision to upgrade from Halogen to aftermarket HID Bi-Xenon which is really great in color and high visibility at night.

Moreover, behind Halogen headlight there is a 8mn bolt where you will use your hand or 8mn wrench (remove the black plastic cover over bumper to make more room). Twist it Clockwise to lower and Counter Clockwise to raise headlight.

I aimed mine relatively low because my intention is for a great looking light, high visibility and not blind on-coming traffic and yeah I'm so satisfied.

Hope this is helpful for PC member who look forward to do the same thing.

***I couldn't find where to adjust attached pictures correct, so it goes upside down!

Attached Files:

Daves09prius likes this.
  2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you for your information on headlamp adjustment. However for most vehicles in other countries the system is very different.

The bolt you point out is not there but an electric motor takes it's place enabling the lights to be adjusted from the inside of the car or automatically. The is an override adjustment but this is done by turning a small gear wheel with a special tool (a suitable phillips screwdriver will do).

John (Britprius)

3. Mistah Ya

Mistah Ya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with you because there are different rules and laws from country to country.

In forums, they say the car would come with aiming sensor and factory HID, but not on Halogen ones. You can manually aim the headlight on the HID version, and you will still have to bypass the sensor. I seems to not find information about electric motor on the Halogen version.

Do you think that what I've done will negatively affect headlight's electric motor if my car comes with it?

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My car came with halogen headlamps and I converted it to HID bulbs. This does not affect the electric motor leveling system.

John (Britprius)

5. Mistah Ya

Mistah Ya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fortunately, Automatic Headlight Leveling Sensor only comes with factory HID headlight