1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US Moves back to Winter Gasoline

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by wjtracy, Sep 17, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

U.S. moves back to winter gasoline - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

So there will be further down trend in prices due to allowance of increased butanes in the gaso.
    MPG will be a bit a less maybe around 1-3%...just due to gasoline energy content reduction, not including the MPG decreases caused by other cold weather factors: Lubes more viscous, tire rolling resistance higher and the assorted other winter conspiracy factors to rob us of top Prius MPG in winter.

I did not realize the changes apparently come in waves: first hit now, then second RVP whammy on MPG is Jan-March. My only regret I did not get a sample of E0 during the summer to try to measure max energy content range of gasoline. Since I live in a reformulated gasoline area, E0 is not available. I did get to Virginia Beach for vacation, but that's still RFG, no fun in that regard (loads of fun in the conventional sense).

#1 wjtracy, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Robert Holt likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure glad we don't get winter electricity!:p

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't believe people are actually interested. (no offense)

Just googled it here for the UK and it appears it happens here too. You learn something new every day.

Winter fuel blends explained - Carcraft

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never seen much of a difference myself, but there are people that claim large increases or decreases with alky-haul, and [sic] Premium gas as well.
    I know people who will only buy gas in the morning because they (think they) get more.
    There probably is a 0.0000000000000000000213% difference (est.) but It's not worth planning my life around loading fuel in the AM versus when it's convenient.
    I'm sure people see what they see, and measure what they measure but since the WX in the Southeast is much more moderate, I'm thinking that the reason that I see fairly consistent fuel economies is that the weather as much to do with tank to tank averages as much as anything else.

The WX is what it is, and the fuel blends are what they are.

Tire pressures are going to dip with temperature very shortly, and we're probably going to see a few TPMS posts as well.

Check yer tire pressures! ;)

YMMV

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Leaf uses the same blend of electrons all year long :p

MJFrog, Tony D and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Weather and dropping temperatures and all that entails as a big part in the seasonal drop, but the change in gas blend contributes also.

A reason given for the change in blends is that winter allows better starting in freezing temperatures. This isn't a concern in the South, or probably with most modern cars, so it is possible that your winter blend is closer to summer than what we get in the north.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Grumpy the main reason people are interested in USA is our price at the pump plummets and this year wow we could see very low price soon...your $8 per gallon tax makes you less excited about the change and also the Premium thing is a minor addin for you guys

8. I wish I had taken a picture of my windshield yesterday, it was summer and I woke up to a thin layer of ice... :LOL:

Yep, summer's over folks!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    arghhh!!!:mad: